Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a fuel pump, can I use use non OEM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
Like the title says, I am wondering if anyone has ever just used an aftermarket inline fuel pump rather than one of the crazy expensive ones that are made for these cars. I have helped friends put together hot rods and they used a regular inline pump with a regulator. Can this be done with our cars? If so, can anyone tell me what the specs are so I can get the correct regulator for a 73 1.7?

I know this may be considered blasphemy by some, but I just want my car on the road, I can make it more like stock later, and my funds are becoming more and more limited with this thing. Every time I turn around I am back at the parts store or looking for another replacement part... sheesh, how do you guys do this without going nuts?

P.S. Some of you might remember me from earlier posts. Just so you know, I am still parting out that first car, but I have since bought 1 great roller, 2 more parts cars, and someone let me strip another one for free (got some awesome stuff from that one, pics to come once I am done). So I am sorry that I have not sold any of the parts off of the first car, but I am waiting now to see what I might need and what I have extras of, sorry for the irritation this may have caused some. But, once I am done, I will have LOTS of extra parts in extremely nice shape, so I'll share then.

P.P.S. If there is anyone in Ohio that needs some sheet metal, I might be able to help out, I have one that needs to be cut up since it won't roll without wheels wink.gif
Mark Henry
Problem is it has to be a fuel injection fuel pump (higher PSI) and regulator, most cars use an in tank pump.
I've been told the VW bus and megasquirt guys use a ford FI pump, but I don't know which one. Think it was in the $100+ range.

Use the stock regulator.
ghuff
Replace your bosch pump with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Walbro-...sQ5fAccessories

IPB Image
underthetire
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/2225/10002/-1
Mark Henry
Guess I was told the right price.....we are assuming you have fuel injection ....right?

Different pump on Carb.
Cap'n Krusty
After 2 failures in 2 tries. I quit using Walbro pumps because it's something I can't afford as a shop owner ................... One did, however, make it all the way from Alaska to CA before it failed. Never ran very well, but it made it here.

I recommend the pump used in late 914s and several L-jet VW applications.

The Cap'n
JamesM
I am using the MSD pump in my autox car, relocated to the front trunk when i did the swap. It can flow a lot more then we need, and is pretty loud but it works great.

I picked mine up from summit. Looks like they have one under their own label for 25 bucks less now.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3138/?image=large
ghuff
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 22 2009, 10:57 AM) *

After 2 failures in 2 tries. I quit using Walbro pumps because it's something I can't afford as a shop owner ................... One did, however, make it all the way from Alaska to CA before it failed. Never ran very well, but it made it here.

I recommend the pump used in late 914s and several L-jet VW applications.

The Cap'n

Weird, I have been running an inline as a secondary for a year + with no hiccups. Plenty of others as well. I have another 255 in tank with 2 years on it in a turbo supra and it is about to go into a turbo VW.

Walbro 255's do hate being run dry even for a short period.... Could be related.

Either way any EFi pump with the right size fittings will work.
Katmanken
I don't know why you would screw with another pump when the Bosch pumps are so robust and reliable, and don't cost a lot more

Here's Bus Depot's price on the pump used in the 80-83 aircooled Vanagon which ran the type IV engine.

Maybe the Captain can chime in if it's the VW he is thinking about....

Bus Depot does european trips, and buys either from the auto maker, or buys from the OEM parts manufacturer that supplied the parts to the auto makers assembly line.

They have a Pierburg for $280 and a Bosch for $135. Both were supplied by VW on new Vanagons. I've used both and they look and run the same.

http://www.busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=42&...mp;prodgroup=-1

If it's not the right year and model VW, Bus Depot stocks parts for other VW's
Cap'n Krusty
Yup! That's the one. Great price, too ........... For the earlier cars, the ones with the fuel pump in the rear, the return tee needs to be replaced with an 8mm straight piece of pipe. Actually, it's probably best to replace the whole rubber return line from one plastic tube to the other with a single piece. You'll also have to remove the electrical connectors from their plastic housing, a simple task requiring a tiny flat blade screwdriver and about 30 seconds. Just push the 2 little locking tabs out of the way and pull the wires out. Might want to save or pass the plug housing on to someone who could use it ..............

The Cap'n
SLITS
As long as the pump is capable of 2 -3 bar (29.4 - 44.1 psi), the car doesn't give a shit. Running pressure is 28.4 psi on most of the 914s. 2 bar could be on the ragged edge so I would try for 3 bar.

The stock pressure regulator should also function quite well.
Gigamight
Seriously... you guys rock. I am so glad I am on a site with guys who can think outside the box. I have been on some boards before with guys who actually had the mind-set "if it doesn't say to do that in the owner's manual, it might be too scary."

Anyways, I will admit, I am still in over my head with some of this stuff, so I may come back to you again with another question or 2, but thank you so much for your answers.

As for:

For the earlier cars, the ones with the fuel pump in the rear, the return tee needs to be replaced with an 8mm straight piece of pipe. Actually, it's probably best to replace the whole rubber return line from one plastic tube to the other with a single piece. You'll also have to remove the electrical connectors from their plastic housing, a simple task requiring a tiny flat blade screwdriver and about 30 seconds. Just push the 2 little locking tabs out of the way and pull the wires out.

That's the problem... there are no connectors, and there is very little in the way of anything running into the engine bay, I will be creating harnesses as I go.

Good thing is, I have a friend who owns a harness manufacturing company, and he is dieing to get his hands on a body harness, so he can "make a better one." And I have a couple friends who have worked for Microsoft who want to make me a BCM. So who knows, by the time it's all over, I might have some interesting stuff for you guys to return all the favors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.