Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a front hood to cut up ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
hey guys,
anyone in the greater bay area who has a front hood he wants to part with? (cheap wink.gif )

i would like to practice cutting a nice vent for the oil cooler air ...
Andy
morph
Got one for free, but were in oregon
SirAndy
QUOTE(morphenspectra @ Mar 6 2004, 08:28 PM)
Got one for free, but were in oregon

thanks for the offer!

but i think it'll be easier to get one here locally.
don't wanna pay shipping for a test-dummy that will be cut up and mutilated wink.gif

Andy
jonwatts
What's your timeframe, Andy? I'm tempted to pop for Getty carbon fiber lids but it might be 6 or so weeks to get them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Mar 6 2004, 09:36 PM)
What's your timeframe, Andy? I'm tempted to pop for Getty carbon fiber lids but it might be 6 or so weeks to get them.

you know me, i'm not in a hurry.

i will need brad's new shop to be "useable" to do this anyways,
soooo, converting my schedule into "Brad-Time", a few weeks might just work out perfectly ... wink.gif

Andy
jonwatts
I think I only need the hood for the front fenders to be mounted so we could probably work something out. Let me know how Brad time progresses.
Andyrew
I've got a front hood. with latch and everything. What vent are you talking about? I've got a front hood. Dont know if its too much for you to drive. But you can have it. Just sitting there. Its straight and been sitting in my backyard for a year. Pm or email me if you want it.

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 6 2004, 09:58 PM)
I've got a front hood. with latch and everything. What vent are you talking about? I've got a front hood. Dont know if its too much for you to drive. But you can have it. Just sitting there. Its straight and been sitting in my backyard for a year. Pm or email me if you want it.

perfect!

i want to vent the hot air from my (yet to be installed) front-oil cooler out the top of the hood instead of under the car like you do with the GT style oil-cooler setup.

soo, i need a hood to play with.

kinda like on this ford gt-40 ...
Mueller
I have one.........

Terrance also has one which he might be finished with for his 'glass project
brant
Andy,

I've done this once in metal..
I don't have digital photos... but if you want me to snail mail you a picture, I should be able to find one...

I cut it in a V shape... sort of an inverted NACA duct...
you can leave all of the support ribs and still get plenty of drop.. I cut the V (front and side cuts)... then rolled the center section down about 14 inches... then used some cardboard templates to trace out some metal sides... welde those in and it held the shape pretty well... Also had to make a small front lip and weld that in...

because the hood is such a flat panel, there was a little bit of welding warp.. and more puddy in there than I'd like...

I did mine from metal because the race class I was in at the time required "all body panels be of the original material".... I figured bondo is an original material right?

brant
L8Apex
yeah, I should have one for ya in a few weeks after I find some time! Also have your door guts too!
Brad Roberts
I have a hood for free.. but you cant cut it at my place. I refuse to let my friends do this to their STREET cars. You gain zero by doing it this way. Most people that do this are trying to exit air that they cant take under or out the fenderwells because of a expensive fuel cell they have already put in the trunk floor.

B
Andyrew
Dang and I thought I could get my 914 bag out of the deal..

Ahh shoot. Well andy if you still want it, its yours.. Ya know, could be a nice drive wink.gif (trying to get some room for more parts..)

Darn you brad!! (kidding)

Andrew
Brad Roberts
We are *almost* unpacked at the new shop. Hang in there.. you are'nt missing much.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 7 2004, 10:26 PM)
I refuse to let my friends do this to their STREET cars.

you just called me a friend! in public! laugh.gif

but seriously, i want to do this. smash.gif

i can still keep my current hood for the wine & shine events. wink.gif
Andy
Brad Roberts
Right this minute you have NO need for it. Come talk to me when you are ready to pick up the 3.6 engine.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 7 2004, 11:10 PM)
Right this minute you have NO need for it. Come talk to me when you are ready to pick up the 3.6 engine.

awh, do you always have to hit me in the groin just when i was about to feel good again? wacko.gif

i know, i know, sell the company, then hire you, then get the 3.6, then cut the hood ...

a man gotta have to have his priorities in order, right?
cool_shades.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
It wasnt intended as a direct groin shot.. just a reality check. beerchug.gif

B
mikerose
Andy, You can have the one off the green 76. I am in Pittsburg. I will see if it will fin in the back of my car. if so I can bring it the san leandro just let me know.
Mike, the other mike laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.