Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: another VW based "Alien" - wow.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I wish I had just the TIME to do the cad drawings this guy has done. BIG project....

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic....asc&start=0

Also, I dont think I have ever seen a full 911 rear suspension removed from a car - very cool...
Cupomeat
Damn, I am getting old as when I saw that GTi I cringed at the thought of them killing a clean GTi...

Sure the project is cool, but why not start with a Rabbit Diesel that was sitting in a field for 10 years. Such a waste and it is no Rabbit/GTI anymore, why not just use a Dodge Omni... Same end result...

Now, what 911 Rear end was it? The 993 and later rear suspensions are truly fascinating and they don't have the restrictions (for a tuner) that the 911 Suspensions had (torsion bars that go all the way across the car, and toe change under jounce/rebound).
Scott S
I am with you - I am a HUGE GTI fan... well, some years at least. I had a 78 grey market car, I loved the 83 and 84 rabbit based cars, the 85 was still great, and then the 92 2.0 16 valve. After the 92 car, I dont have much interest (none actually). I have been keeping my eyes open for a clean 83-84 (or even a pre 1979/westy 2 door rabbit). Not to many decent ones left out there anymore.

In that thread, there is a picture of two 911 rear ends jammed into the back of the car. I didn't realise you could remove them as a unit....
ghuff
You can still find those everywhere solid. They produced quite a few rabbit GTi cars. They were made in westmoreland.

Rallye Golf is where it is at!
Cupomeat
Damn, your eye sight is much better than mine, I can't find a 911 Rear suspension in any of the pictures...
Now, I am intrigued, can you tell me which pix?

As for Westmoreland cars, I loved the 83-84 and I am all for making a AWD GTI using VW components, or a turbo GTI, but at some point (removing the entire bottom and making it RWD) it no longer becomes a GTi.

Glad to hear you can still find the A1 GTis, Maybe I'll look for one for a project.
ghuff
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 22 2009, 02:18 PM) *

Damn, your eye sight is much better than mine, I can't find a 911 Rear suspension in any of the pictures...
Now, I am intrigued, can you tell me which pix?

As for Westmoreland cars, I loved the 83-84 and I am all for making a AWD GTI using VW components, or a turbo GTI, but at some point (removing the entire bottom and making it RWD) it no longer becomes a GTi.

Glad to hear you can still find the A1 GTis, Maybe I'll look for one for a project.

My 20v big port motor swapped RHD Syncro Golf biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Let me know if you need help finding a shell. I am pretty well connected locally with the VW community.

r_towle
I like the way this guy thinks...
Just keep the shell, the rest is all new.

RIch
ghuff
Also looks like he is using 944 rear suspension not 911 rear suspension. He has two entire rear setups heh
Ferg
wub.gif I miss her some days...

Scott S
I mis read..... way off. They are two 944 rear suspensions.

As far as doing a rabbit, I want it to appear 100% stock. I did the Techtonics 2020 8V motor in both my 78 and my 85 and did the usual suspension work that was popular "back in the day" - the rabbit ran Bilstiens, an off brand of lowering springs, AutoTech sway bars (a big ole 28 rear bar) and neuspeed front and lower strut braces. I could not afford to go to a 15" wheel, so I had a used set of Cabriolet snowflakes on for summer, and the stock 13's with snows on them for winter. The 85 was similar - but ran an all inclusive Koni "kit" - again I think from AutoTech.
I unfortuntely did fall prey to the fasion of the time (the 80's) and added the US spoiler when the duck bill had finally seen better days and replaced the factory mirrors with those cheap a$$ Vitaloni's. You can also just make out the double bladed windshield wipers (with spoilers - ha!). I will post a pic - but gimmie a break - it was taken in 1988-9 ( I had just turned 21). Man - that seems like a life time ago.
My mother loves this picture - as it was taken the day I had 12+ inches of hair cut off.
Katmanken
Somebody over in Germany took a 928 and rebodied it with an oversize Rabbit body. It was in one of the old VW Porsch mags.

Think they made 3 of them. They looked just like a Rabbit in the pictures until you saw them hulking next to a real car...... Windshields were wider and everything.

That was an impressive car.

rick 918-S
I need to sign up on that forum and post a pic of my car as inspiration. The guy has skills.
tomeric914
QUOTE(kwales @ Jul 22 2009, 08:24 PM) *

Somebody over in Germany took a 928 and rebodied it with an oversize Rabbit body. It was in one of the old VW Porsch mags.

Rabbit schmabbit. I'll take the split screen VW Bus with the 520hp Carrera engine in it please.

http://www.race-taxi.ch/indexx.htm
jasons
Since we are reminiscing about GTI's. Here is mine, it was an 84. This photo was taken in Redcliff CO, the day I arrived for my short career as a ski bum in Vail. Thats why its full of everything I owned at the time! I more or less totaled it on I-70 in a snow storm.

Oh and on the roof is an old looped chainstay PK Ripper. Unfortunately, it is gone now too. But, the Santana MTB (#2 bike on the roof) still hangs in my garage.

Click to view attachment
Porcharu
I had an 83' that looked just like the 'donor' I pulled the 2.0 16V and gave the shell away. I have a great picture of it on the track at Willow Springs (just the print or I would post it. Still have the engine for some reason.
Steve

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 22 2009, 02:40 PM) *

Damn, I am getting old as when I saw that GTi I cringed at the thought of them killing a clean GTi...

Sure the project is cool, but why not start with a Rabbit Diesel that was sitting in a field for 10 years. Such a waste and it is no Rabbit/GTI anymore, why not just use a Dodge Omni... Same end result...

Now, what 911 Rear end was it? The 993 and later rear suspensions are truly fascinating and they don't have the restrictions (for a tuner) that the 911 Suspensions had (torsion bars that go all the way across the car, and toe change under jounce/rebound).

Ian Stott
One of those super Rabbits passed me on the Autobahn when I was living there, at first I couldn't believe it then I noticed it was different in many ways, didn't get to see it for long!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.