Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No sound from speakers after stereo install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Fellas:
I'll apologize up front for the long post... HELP!!
OK, I'm still having problems getting a new stereo hooked up in my 914.
The good news is I was able to mount the new stereo in the glove box area like the PO had set it up (see previous thread).
So, I have the constant 12V power connected to the memory wire, the keyed power to the main power wire on the stereo and the ground wire connected to the fuse block ground. The antenna cable is plugged int the stereo also. I have only 2 speakers mounted ahead of the doors in front, even though the stereo can drive 2 front and 2 rear speakers.
When I turn the key, the unit powers on and I can program stations and it holds them after I've turned the key off. I can see the little LCD meter jump up and down, so I'm pretty sure it's getting a signal.
The problem is I get no sound at all coming from the speakers.
The PO did mount an amp in the front which is what's confusing me. The amp has a terminal block for the speakers and they are connected to the speakers (I didn't mess with this at all). There is another terminal block called "high level input (l and r)", but there is nothing connected to it (never was).
There is also 2 RCA jacks labled "line input (l and r)". These were connected to the old stereo speaker connections, but when I connect the new stereo speaker wires to them, I get nothing.
My new stereo also has 2 RCA plugs coming out of it labeld "rch RED and lch WHITE" What are these for and where do they connect? I do not have them connected right now.
I've tried every combination of connections I can think of, but I can't get any sound.
Can any of you guys give me some ideas as to what's wrong here? Any help is greatly appreciated! Sorry again for the long post.
Andy...
Qarl
From the stereo... connect the rch Red (Right Channel Red) to the Line Level Right input on the amp and the lch White (Left Channel) to the Line Level Left input on the amp.

Also, on your stereo, make sure your fader and balance (front/rear and left/right) are set up. You might have the stereo unit set to listen to the rear channels only, yet you only have the front speakers connected.

The other choice is to connect the speaker outputs on the stereo unit itself to the HIGH level inputs on the amplifier, but I would recommend the RCA connectors on the stereo (line out connectors) and connect them to the line-in connections on the amp.

Finally, make sure the amp is getting power and is turned on! Check the fuse for the Amp. It is probably in in-line fuse!
914zim
Karl:
Thanks for the quick post! beerchug.gif
So, if I connect the RCA jacks from the stereo to the RCA plugs in the amp like you said, do I just leave the speaker wires from the stereo unconnected or do I need to connect them too? If yes, where?
I will check the fuses tomorrow - good point. I did check the balance and fader adjustments earlier, but I'll check them again tomorrow.
Oh, I just thought of another thing... there is one blue wire out of the stereo called "power antenna". I have 2 wires coming from my power antenna, one brings it up and the other brings it down. How do I connect this up?
Thanks again, I really appreciate it!! pray.gif pray.gif
Qarl
If you use the RCA jacks, then you don't use the speaker wires from the stereo to the Amp.

There MAY be a switch on the amp to tell it which input to use (line-in or high-level).

As far as the power antenna... I'm not sure. But, I think one wire is connected to the blue wire on the stereo (switched power) and the other goes to a non-switched power on the fuse block.
Qarl
Did a little research...

The power antenna probably has a red and white wire.

The red goes to the fuse block (for always on power)

The white wire goes to the blue wire on the stereo (switched power).

If it has a black wire, this is ground... or the unit itself may ground to the chassis.

Then there is the big fat black antenna connection that goes to the stereo's antenna connection.
914zim
Guys:
Thanks alot for all the help.
Sorry I've been MIA on this today, but I had to do the family thing today..... I did get a good solid hour on the 914.
Anyway, the good news is I got tunes.
The bad news is I think my amp is kaput.
I removed the speaker wires from the amp and connected them directly to the stereo and viola!!
So, now I'm thinking I might just skip the amp or maybe I'll by another one (cheap) and put a new one in.
On the other hand, I'd like to be absolutely sure the amp is toast. Obviously, it didn't work for me, but before I just toss it, is there any way to be absolutely sure? Aw crap, maybe I shouldn't care, since it came with the car and it is pretty old.
Anyway, again guys, I really appreciated all the help.
I knew I could count on my 914 buddies!
Later!
Andy...smile.gif smile.gif
914zim
Karl:
As for the power antenna...
There is a blue with red tracer and a blue with white tracer. I'm thinking I'll take that for the red and white and try your suggestion.
When I connect one to 12V, the antenna goes up.
When I connect the other to 12V, it goes down.
I don't remember which does which.
I'm a little un easy about just poking around and seeing what happens. I think that's how I blew the amp!!
Anyway, thanks for all the help!! Time to surf for a new amp!!
Andy...
Qarl
Does the antenna work?
914zim
yeah, it works, but I don't have it connected yet.
I've just been touching the wires to 12V and watching it go up and down!
markb
Dump the amp. If you don't have enough power (doubtful if you're just using the standard speaker enclosures) buy a new one that will work with your current stereo. Unknown components have blown more stereos for me than I can count.
mike_the_man
The amp needs a remote on signal from the deck as well as a constant power from the battery. The blue and white power antenna wire from the deck is usually used to turn on the amp as well. There should be 3 terminals on the amp for power. One +, that hooks straight to the battery (with an inline fuse), a - terminal that should be grounded, and a terminal that says something like RMT, or REMOTE, and that should be hooked up to the Remote On wire from the deck (usually blue with a white stripe). Look at the wiring diagram for the deck, and it should explain how all of the wires connect.
914zim
Thanks for the help guys...
Damn, I wish I was home now so I could work on this, but I need to pay for all this shit somehow, so I guess I should stay at work! I'll check it out tonight.
You guys rock!
Andy...
Jeffs9146
AAAhhhummm, Check the fuse in the amp!

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.