Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
I have a small leak where the muffler flange bolts to the heat exchanger flange. I put in a new gasket, but still a leak. The muffler flange looks slightly bent at the 2 outer bolts. I don't want to hammer this thing too much and break the ears off. Can I use some type of sealant here??

Paul
hcdmueller
I use red RTV (about the only thing it is good for) and two gaskets to get a good seal. Seems to work good.
Joe Bob
Heat it up with a torch and bend it with a pair of channel locks. RTV is a band aid.

Or cut it off and weld a new flange on. Muff shops are cheap if you don't have the equipment. Tell them it's a VW, you get 50% off the Porsche price.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 23 2009, 09:18 AM) *

Heat it up with a torch and bend it with a pair of channel locks. RTV is a band aid.

agree.gif Fix it once and do it right and you'll never look back. . .
SLITS
Muffler paste ...... heh heh!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jul 23 2009, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 23 2009, 09:18 AM) *

agree.gif Fix it once and do it right and you'll never look back. . .

I agree, with one glaring exception. Instead of channel locks, use a crescent wrench. That way, the jaws are in a fixed position and you won't be struggling to keep 'em tight.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.