Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Sway Bay on a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyler
Can anyone give me some info on installing this 911/19mm sway bar (pics attached)?
It's going on a 1971 914 Porsche. The undercarrage has a mounting frame for this Bar with holes cut out. Do I need to do anything else extra and what would I need to purchase? Anything tips and how easy is this installation?
Thanks for any help.
jcd914
You need an aluminum cross beam, sway bar bushings and brackets on the control arms and the splash pan that covers the sway bar and steering rack. The sway bar brackets for the control arms are welded on and I have not seen them sold separately but I have not looked. Most 914s that have an under body sway bar (instead of a thru body sway bar) have had a complete 911 frt suspension installed. Late (74-on?) 911 frt control arms have the brackets welded on, none of the 914 control arms came with sway bar brackets for an under body bar.

Jim
turnaround89
agree.gif

Dang, you beat me to the answer

Cupomeat
Good info, and remember that this is really an Anti-roll bar, although the masses have accepted them to be called a sway bar.

The movement that it reduces is "roll" where "sway" (or anti-sway) is more of a lateral slide movement.

The last sway bar I saw was on the hitch of my parent's tag-along horse trailer.

Feel free to purge this information I have provided as I am being a bit pedantic on this point.

Enjoy your Friday. beer3.gif
SLITS
It's an SC underbody setup. You need the SC "A" arms and the aluminum or steel crossmember as mentioned. It actually works well on a 914. It is non-adjustable, but who cares.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 24 2009, 01:01 PM) *

It's an SC underbody setup. You need the SC "A" arms and the aluminum or steel crossmember as mentioned. It actually works well on a 914. It is non-adjustable, but who cares.

agree.gif My Dad has said system on his Six. Pics later...
tyler
Thanks,
So you're saying this won't fit on a 914 without changing the A-arms?
Also is there really a difference in the crossmembers? I've looked at Al & Stl, 911 & 914 and never saw a difference. Does the 914 one, perhaps, not have the threaded holes for the 2 sway bar mounts? I know the 911 Al ones are easily run on a 914.
turnaround89
the 911 front end will drop right into the 914, bolt for bolt....and yes the cross members are very different. the 914 is a steel tube and the 911 kind of resembled an I beam...the 914 cross member does not have the holes for the sway bar mount. you'll have the rear sway bar mount holes, but not the fronts until the cross member is changed
MDG
that's the bar that's on mine but as stated previously it's part of the entire SC front end thats bolted on with it.

If you've got the budget to do the swap it does work well.
tyler
Thanks,
That's the right way to go with the 911 A Arms. It also gets the bigger brakes that really help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.