Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Conversion : Relay Board Substitution...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
I am looking for the part numbers for the 14 or 16 pin connectors necessary when you remove the 4 cylinder engine bay relay board when doing a six conversion. I will be iinstalling an internally regulated alternator. Someone told me it was a 928 part that you could buy from Zims who advertises in the Porsche Pano.
jt914-6
Why do you want to keep the relay board? I did away with mine and used a weather proof trailer type connector. Works great.
I considered using a internal regulator, but changed my mind when I remembered how much a pain in the a$$ it is to remove the alt. with the engine in the car. Been there, done that and got no t-shirt. Seriously, it's sooooo much eaiser to change the regulator the way it came with the 914 if it goes bad compaired to changing one built into the alt.......think about it......
bcheney
I dont want to keep the relay board. Just need the connector(s) to mate the two harnesses. I have thought about keeping the external regulator..but, just thought it would be a cleaner install without it. I can do just about anything mechanical...I have never taken the time to learn the principals of electricity though. This is one area of the conversion that I need help with.
jt914-6
Is your conversion engine going to use carbs or FI? If using carbs, there isn't much you have to do to get rid of the relay board.
As for the the alt., if the regulator goes out, it is a PITA to change it. I'd rather have my regulator showing than the hell it is to change one built in.....
carr914
Brian, I think that GPR has rebuilt 914-6 boards

Plus I wanted to Wave my Avatar at you. bye1.gif

T.C.
bcheney
TC....you suck about the avatar...get rid of her!!
SLITS
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jul 24 2009, 06:07 PM) *

I dont want to keep the relay board. Just need the connector(s) to mate the two harnesses. I have thought about keeping the external regulator..but, just thought it would be a cleaner install without it. I can do just about anything mechanical...I have never taken the time to learn the principals of electricity though. This is one area of the conversion that I need help with.

You might want to reconsider the internally regulated alternator. Porsche was having a problem with the regulator overheating (to close to the case) and then your alt indicator light would come on scaring you to death about loss of cooling.

I kept the external.
carr914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jul 24 2009, 09:53 PM) *

TC....you suck about the avatar...get rid of her!!

Never biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
You may know this, but in addition to the VR, the relay board holds the relays for the heater blower fan, fuel pump, rear window defroster and a central main power relay that provides power to the other three relays, which is fused with a 25A fuse also on the board. An 8A fuseholder on the board supplies power to the rear window defroster.

If you have otherwise routed wires or deleted the rear window defroster, fuel pump, heater fan, and figured out the VR, then the relay board can be deleted. But its a fair bit of work to do it and you should remove the ignition harness and probably the alternator harness from the car to do the connector install.

The 14-pin connector with male pins is available new from Patrick Motor Sports...its about $60. You can mount it to your ignition harness to mate with the 14-pin female connector at the front edge of the relay board. Another thing to figure out is the circuit that is on the relay board (that you will lose if deleting the board) that connects the VR to the alt indicator light on the dash. Study the relay board circuits to find it.
jt914-6
Alt. indicator light wire is blue ('74) which connects to the D+(red wire) on the regulator. I didn't have an alt. light untill I made that connection on my conversion six after deleting the relay board.
ahdoman
I too completely eliminated the relay board. There really is no need for a heater fan with the six. The fan provides plenty of push through the heater boxes. I found a small 30 amp relay fuse board on line and use that to power my fuel pump, CDI and a couple of other things. It's really nice not having the relay board in the way. Makes the engine real easy to get to. jt914-6 is right; use a weatherproof trailer connector. I also moved my battery to the rear trunk. Everybody who compares my engine compartment to the stock setup can't believe the extra room. I have no proof of this but having all that extra space also means more cool airflow in there.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jul 24 2009, 05:07 PM) *

I dont want to keep the relay board.

PMS makes a conversion harness that plugs straight into your body harness connector, thus eliminating the relay board.

Worked fine for me ...
shades.gif Andy
IronHillRestorations
Even if you need a voltage regulator, you can mount that on the rear bulkhead. I've got that part number somwhere, I'll try and post later.
736conver
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jul 24 2009, 07:27 PM) *

I am looking for the part numbers for the 14 or 16 pin connectors necessary when you remove the 4 cylinder engine bay relay board when doing a six conversion. I will be iinstalling an internally regulated alternator. Someone told me it was a 928 part that you could buy from Zims who advertises in the Porsche Pano.

I have about 4 or five of them in a box here. Let me see if I can find them and you can have them for the price of shipping.
jt914-6
Voltage regulator: Bosch 0 190 600 016-740
NAPA solid state regulator: VR503
The NAPA regulator is solid state embedded in epoxy, plugs right into the relay board, mounts with same mounting screws/location on relay board, and much smaller.
ahdoman
Here's a couple of shots of my engine compartment without the battery and circuit card...

Overhead shot...

Click to view attachment

No battery here. Makes it real easy to get to the plugs!

Click to view attachment

Oil filter changes are real easy too!

Click to view attachment

I relocated the CDI & VR to the rear firewall. The VR is the stock one off of the circuit tray. You can also see the battery relocated to the rear trunk. And yes, my top still fits in there as well.

Click to view attachment
bcheney
Those pics are great. Very nice looking work you've done. I spoke to Jim Patrick today. He's asked for some info and will get me a quote this coming week on building up what I need. I told him I was looking for something very close to plug and play and he was very willing to work with me. He seems like a great guy to deal with..very helpful and took plenty of time to talk with me over the phone. I appreciate all the great feedback from everyone. If anyone else has more pics of their engine bays please continue to post.
nein14
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 24 2009, 08:40 PM) *

You may know this, but in addition to the VR, the relay board holds the relays for the heater blower fan, fuel pump, rear window defroster and a central main power relay that provides power to the other three relays, which is fused with a 25A fuse also on the board. An 8A fuseholder on the board supplies power to the rear window defroster.

If you have otherwise routed wires or deleted the rear window defroster, fuel pump, heater fan, and figured out the VR, then the relay board can be deleted. But its a fair bit of work to do it and you should remove the ignition harness and probably the alternator harness from the car to do the connector install.

The 14-pin connector with male pins is available new from Patrick Motor Sports...its about $60. You can mount it to your ignition harness to mate with the 14-pin female connector at the front edge of the relay board. Another thing to figure out is the circuit that is on the relay board (that you will lose if deleting the board) that connects the VR to the alt indicator light on the dash. Study the relay board circuits to find it.

Here is my chance smile.gif to give Kodos to Jeff Bowlsby smilie_pokal.gif

Jeff just recently did a relay board delete new rear harness using a new 14 pin male connector on it, as well a new alternator harness w/ a additional connector from thr alt indicator light to my solid state VR.

He made the VR lead longer so I can mount it in the rear trunk and a additional power key lead to power my Crane HI-6 ignition that is also mounted in the rear trunk.

I completed the installation chance over, a few more mods I have to make before I fire it up, thanks again Jeff!!
IronHillRestorations
The plug part number is 911 612 113 05, that's the 14 pin male plug body and connector pins. It also requires a cover, but I couldn't find the part number for that.
db9146

TC, who is your avatar? Thanks for the larger photo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.