Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass fender flares-mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I seached high and low. Do we have a thread on this somewhere? I have four flares from performance products as well as 2 flared rocker panels-unknown manufacturer. I taped the flares in place and used the rocker panels as a reference for the flares on each side. I know this is fiberglass, but the front flares that I have are wider than the stock opening at the bottom corners of the fender (viewed from the side of the car left and right of the front tire). About 3/8". This seems to be okay because the rockers are about 3/8" shorter than the length of the stock body they fit under. The rear fender flares are almost identicle in measurement in opening at the lower edge to the stock bodies. Is this correct for left right orientation? How do you figure the verticle location of the flares? Do I just use the bottom of the flare and line it up with the bottom line of the body? I also saw on one post one of the guys said when cutting the metal don't cut straight down, use that to support the bottom edge of the flare.How did you guys set them up and cut?
FWIW I will be riveting these flares on. I do not have jack posts on the car.
r_towle
Wider wheel openings on the front would allow wider wheels to turn.
Look at a wheel from above...measure it diagonally and you will see that a wider wheel would need a longer opening.

The fixed item is the rocker panel. Put that on. The flares are then mounted to match the rockers.

Rich
tracks914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 24 2009, 07:39 PM) *

Wider wheel openings on the front would allow wider wheels to turn.
Look at a wheel from above...measure it diagonally and you will see that a wider wheel would need a longer opening.

The fixed item is the rocker panel. Put that on. The flares are then mounted to match the rockers.

Rich

I wish I had done that, instead I tried to center the flare to the wheel opening, more work. smoke.gif
I ended up making my own steel rockers to match my flares, more work but turned out Ok though. headbang.gif
Now I have a nice NIB set of fiberglass flares that I will have to sell. (Ebay? type.gif )
charliew
As soon as I got in a group buy for the aa steel flares I ordered a set of fg flared rockers from aa to use as a guide on installing the flares but it really looks like I will need to make my own as they don't seem to have any correct lines to start with. The small 45 angle on the bottom of the body really makes it complicated to make a smooth flow down the side of the body. I now see why most cars have a black rocker and valance color scheme.

I have only seen one flared car in person and the owner pointed out his rockers were hand made in steel also he pointed out the front opening with wide tires deal which I wouldn't have thought about without his mentioning.

Thanks to Clay I might be a little more savy when I hang the flares.

I'm too particular I suppose but I've never bought any fg parts that I thought were worth the money they cost but I have used fg parts with a lot of massaging.
The thing I would be watching is the top of the flare where it joins the body while aligning the openings to the rockers. You don't want to get a rear view and see one rear or front flare higher than the other. It'l probably make the car look lower on one side than the other.

If it's a racing application thats fine but I have also never seen a rivet installed fg part that didn't make a little circle over the rivet after the shrinking in the finish has started also the body twist of the 914 makes the two dissimiliar body materials separate usually after awhile.
Krieger
Great info. Thanks guys. I am assuming the extra width on the front fender goes to the rear? Fortunating this will be a mostly track car so it doesnt need to be perfect, but I am still a little retentive.
root
Hey Krieger here's the link to my old 2004 post when I molded fiber bumpers
and flares on Blackie! It's not a great description but there's some pics of the fender cutting and mounting (page2).

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=21860&st=0

Cut out the marked area a couple inch's beyond the flare line. After grind/sanding away the original fender metal and laying strips of woven fiber matt (soaked in resin) as a substrate, I did the same to the fiber flare where it meets the metal (fibermatted) face of the body. Then sheet metal screw the flare on and layer up the seam with matt and resin (under side too). After the resin sets remove the screws and fill the holes. 5 years later my flares are still on Blackie, no rivets just resin.

-the root biggrin.gif
Krieger
Thanks for the link. This will be very helpful.
r_towle
Root's car looks very well done...use his method...there are no cracks.

Rich
rick 918-S
Yep, I used the flared rockers as the guide.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.