Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bonding Fiberglass Ducktail to Steel Trunklid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I've got a nice new heavy ducktail I purchased from a member in the classifieds section here and a glass trunklid from another member. Turns out the ducktail is probably heavier then the trunklid and the lid is ultra thin (read that as trunklid 4sale). Milt (aka Zeke) and I agree that there isn't enough material on the trunklid to reliably blend the two. His thought is you need to dish out some material on the trunklid to get a good bond/transition between the two and there just isn't enough there to dish out.

Anyway, is it possible to bond/glass the ducktail to a stock steel trunklid and expect that it will hold up even when exposed to heat over time? Milt believes this would eventually cause the joint to crack and I tend to agree since the CTE mismatch between the two would inevitably cause the joint to fail.

Anyone have real experience with this over time? What method did you use to join the two?

Kev
r_towle
Yes, its quite possible and fiberglass is bonded to steel in the auto industry every day.

3M makes the proper bonding adhesive and they have a very in depth website you can read all about it.

Another good source is a professional autobody supply store that sell paint and autobody supplies. They will also have the right bonding adhesive.

Rich
Rand
Reconsider and be sure you really want to do this before putting all the work into it. Just a pause to suggest you say "hmmm" first. Then of course do what you want. I look forward to seeing the results. In the mean time, I think I'll go search the classifieds for a nice thin light trunk lid. biggrin.gif

A light glass trunk lid is valuable to those who seek that. If you want a ducktail and aren't worried about weight, I would think you should part their ways. Two parties would be better served.
kconway
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 24 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Reconsider and be sure you really want to do this before putting all the work into it. Just a pause to suggest you say "hmmm" first. Then of course do what you want. I look forward to seeing the results. In the mean time, I think I'll go search the classifieds for a nice thin light trunk lid. biggrin.gif

I have been thinking about this for awhile. I won't be using my original trunklid, I'll pick up an extra. My car will be repainted here in the next month and I figured I'd build up the ducktail lid and paint them both. Andy has mentioned he's got a glass/metal ducktail/lid but it sounds like he bought it that way.

I don't intend to use the glass trunklid and will be selling it. Nice piece thanks to Bob Burton. However, it belongs on a racecar; not a streetcar.

I looked over the 3M website and I can't tell if their Automix adhesive suggest glass/metal bonding or metal/metal or glass/glass bonding.

Kev
Rand
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 24 2009, 11:18 PM) *

I don't intend to use the glass trunklid and will be selling it. Nice piece thanks to Bob Burton. However, it belongs on a racecar; not a streetcar.

We're on the same page. I'll be sniffing for your lid (smokey, don't get excited) and be looking forward to seeing what you do.
beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 24 2009, 09:55 PM) *

Anyone have real experience with this over time?

FG ducktail bonded to a stock lid ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
I had a fg spoiler bonded to a steel deck lid. It looked pretty good, but it was heavy as hell. For a street car that would be ok. A pic of my original six.

Click to view attachment

For my project conversion I bought a fg complete deck lid from AIR. Really like it though had to get rid of the stock spring system and install the lift kit.

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
Lid and fender
kconway
Great photos guys, Andy's and Chappy's cars were the examples I drooled over before deciding I wanted to go with a blended ducktail.

The question remains how did you do it? Are those feathered in using fiberglass or bondo? Any cracking? How long have they been on?
iamchappy
I would use the panel adhesive stuff like the others have recommended, then probably go with some kitty hair fiberglass and then a high quality filler to finish. I have never had a crack on mine, i didn't install them i bought the car that way and am sure they have been on there for at least 15 to 20 years.

The under side of the lid has some strips of wood that span between the webbing for additional support.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.