Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: correct combo gauge on a 1973 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
crxnug
Im getting conflicting info on what is the correct combo gauge on a 1973 2.0 that came with the center console. if this the correct one pictured, the book "a restorers guide to authenticity " shows a different one. can someone clerify which is correct, any info would be much appreciated
IPB Image
Tom_T
I just went thru the same process in researching mine - an early 73 2L (GA000424), which had the center console/gauges stripped out of it - probably by a dealer to put on another 9141.7L (along with the fog lights & Fuchs 2L wheels), when I bought it used in 12/75 (I'm 2nd owner). There are errors & inconsistencies in Johnson's book, as well as many of the others out there.

What I found out is the gauge you show above was used for 914-2Ls without the center console, those with have the Oil Temp Gauge in the console - so don't need the combo with the fuel. Apparently by 1973 MY & up thru 76 MY, they decided that it was necessary to include an oil temp. gauge in all 914s, so used that combo gauge for one's that didn't have one in the center console - although I'm not clear if this included 1.7/1.8 models too, but I think so.

What confuses the issue is where a dealer or PO has removed them, or a buyer requested a "option delete" to take them out, since some owners didn't like the room they took up, and dealers could take them out of a 2L & still charge full price, then resell at pure profit on another 914 - so they apparently did that alot, as with fog lights, various alloy wheels & anything else that wasn't "nailed down"! dry.gif

However, some put in that combo gauge in instead, so they could substitute an oil pressure gauge in the console as an aftermarket change (still usually VDO gauges).

The gauge for the 914s with consoles from the factory was the plain brake light where yous shows the temp gauge, with the "OIL" red light as an oil pressure warning light (red). Here's a pic of mine:

Click to view attachment
...excuse the dust & grime - she's been holding down blocks in my garage for 24+years waiting restoration! dry.gif

Caution here - you'll need to verify how yours was equipped & in what part of the 73MY it came (by VIN & GA nos.) - in that 1973 had a few quirks & benefits.

For the 1973 MY, Porsche offered ALL 914-2.0 ("914S") models fully loaded with the Appearance & Performance Groups' options "included" in the relatively high (for then) $5299 base price - including: the AG's vinyl covered roll bar, chrome bumpers, fog lights, leather covered steering wheel & shifter boot, center console/gauges, loop pile carpet (sometimes called velour in Euro terminology); and the PG's F&R sway bars (stabilizer bars) & a full set of the new (in 73 MY) Fuchs 4-lug "special lightweight alloy wheels" ("2L Alloys") & there should've been 5 - NOT 4 wheels (although the wheels are sometimes listed in the AG).

This was true for at least for the first half of the 73 MY, and MAY have changed that later in the last part during Spring of 73 according to my recent telecon with Steve Gaglione here at 914world (with the sweeeet Sahara Beige 73 2L). Although I think that we both concluded that those 73 2L's without the full AG/PG of which he was aware, were either option deletes, dealer removed or just listed differently on the window sticker (e.g.: a lower base price with charges for the "included options" for 73 totaling to about what the higher "all in" base price was for the options when listed "N/C").

This included the center console/gauges of the AG, which has the Oil Temp Gauge as the middle gauge below the clock & above the voltmeter. However, the earlier OT gauge had a wider band of red (+/-1/2" vs. +/-1/8" on later ones), which change apparently happened for the 1974 MY 2Ls' consoles.

Here are some specs. & a 12/72 Porsche ad for the "914S" (914-2.0) - as they were initially trying to market the 73 2L until Porshe put the kabash on that terminology around Jan-Feb 73. These show the standard fitment of "included options" for the 73 MY 2Ls.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
....cont. @ next post......
Tom_T
Part 2 73 2L info.

BTW - also look at Paternie's book on 914 Restoration for this info as well as Johnson's.

Here are the other specs from the 12 pg early USA Porsche 914 sales brocure with the color pix & info n the "914S".
Click to view attachment
Low rez of front cover

Click to view attachment
Med rez of back cover with specs

You should also be able to verify if your 2L used to have the center console installed from the factory at one time (if gone now), by looking for evidence that the mounting brackets were once attached - e.g.: the presence of nylon or steel quick-clip screw retainers in the 2 holes under the dash & in the tunnel floor, as well as by looking into the wiring harness leads/receptors to see if something was ever plugged into them. That's what I've done on mine to make sure that it was there in the first place, before I spend bucks to recreate it!

Hope this helps! smile.gif
Steve Snyder
The "Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" book has some good info, but is fraught with errors. I believe the specific picture to which you refer is on page 60, which both incorrectly pictures a 914/6 combo gauge and tach as 1973 914 gauges, and has a caption that incorrectly claims the combo gauge came "...in later 914s with center consoles."

I think the gauge information you are looking for can be found in the following links:
Combo gauges: http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_combo.htm
Fuel gauges: http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_fuel.htm

...and yes, I am biased. biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Jul 31 2009, 07:12 AM) *

The "Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" book has some good info, but is fraught with errors. I believe the specific picture to which you refer is on page 60, which both incorrectly pictures a 914/6 combo gauge and tach as 1973 914 gauges, and has a caption that incorrectly claims the combo gauge came "...in later 914s with center consoles."

I think the gauge information you are looking for can be found in the following links:
Combo gauges: http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_combo.htm
Fuel gauges: http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_fuel.htm

...and yes, I am biased. biggrin.gif

agree.gif on all counts.

That is just one of several errors &/or typos in Brett Johnson's book.

I think you'll find that Paternie's "How to Restore & Modify Your Porsche 914 & 914/6" (ISBN-10: 0-7603-0584-6) will corroborate what I put in my posts above & what appears on Steve's p914 web links above regarding this combo gauge.

Having thoroughly researched the situation for my own early 73 2l (VIN...1954 & 2L #424), for the most part (or only) in the 1973 MY they all came with the standard fuel only gauge in the dash pod & OT in the center console (wide red band type face), since all the Porsche docs which I posted above indicated that all 2L models in 73 came fully loaded with the Appearance Group (i.e.: with center console/gauges).

And perhaps later in that MY around 3/73 or later, they may have started offering them without the center console & added the combo gauge for those 2L cars lacking the center OT gauge.

This info applies to the USA sold new 914-2.0s, and may or may not apply to those sold new elsewhere in Canada, Euro cars, etc.

From my research - if the 2L has an original OE fuel only gauge - in all probability it has or had a center console with the OT gauge originally from the factory as well.
Pat Garvey
Hate to toot my own horn, but I stated years ago that Brett's book had a number of errors. Still, it's a valuable resource & done pretty well for a vet!
Pat
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 31 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Hate to toot my own horn, but I stated years ago that Brett's book had a number of errors. Still, it's a valuable resource & done pretty well for a vet!
Pat

Yes, and I also seem to remember you and George getting into it a tad in the process. laugh.gif
MDG
Just saw this thread. Don't know if you are still looking but here are the gauges as they were installed at the factory on my '73 2.0 - build date March 1973.

I should note that this car has the 3 gauge console; not sure if the combo gauges were different on the non-console equipped cars as all three 914s I own(ed) all had the console

Sorry for the grime but I took these during disassembly.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.