Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reinforcement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I've seen a few cars with this, and am curious about the importance of it. My priorities are longs ala Engman kit, suspension ears, and tying the top of rear shock towers to frame rail. How bad does this area need it?
charliew
It probably will help if you're going to go 180 with a huge rear wing.
Rand
It adds weight, and I didn't think that particular area needs reinforcement. There are a few areas in a 914 that truly need it under certain conditions. But here?

I've seen it on several AX cars, so I'm curious what their thinking is. Is there some real engineering behind it, or has anyone ever seen any evidence of flexing or cracking in this area?
john rogers
The factory type reenforcements as shown here are to strengthen the sides so that the cross member that the transmission mounts to will flex a little less resulting in less flex in the rear area of the engine/transmission mounting box. The factory wasn't allowed to use tubes to strenghten things back there like IMSA allowed later on so they had to make things look "normal".
McMark
I call BS. I'd never put them on my car.
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 26 2009, 12:05 AM) *

I call BS. I'd never put them on my car.

You may not put them on your car, but John has posed one of the first explainations that I can buy...it may have a valid point.

They are not doing anything for the shock tower, that is for sure.

I also would not put them on my car..you loose a 1/4 inch of room for your tire..and I need all I can get without rubbing the inner fender.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 25 2009, 10:31 PM) *

it may have a valid point.

Until you start cutting a car apart in that section. It's a double wall made of thin sheet metal.

Welding a plate on the outer side of the double wall does nothing to improve the rigidity for the transmission mount bar.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.