Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever wanted to take a bicycle with you on your 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Bought a bike last year, and got tired of just riding around the neighborhood. Started checking out bike racks. The ones for Porsche required the installation of a trailer hitch and then the rack cost $200-400. Right

Found the Allen Model 102DB. Did a test fit-up in the Walmart parking lot, looked good or at least doable. Extras you're going to need.

1 Thick towel to protect trunk lid
2 3/4 thick plywood, 12x24 inches,
3 Manufacture a hook fitting that fits between rear bumper and rear valance.
4 Adhesive backed Velcro.

I've been using it for the past couple of weeks to take my bike to Pacific Beach and ride on the Boardwalk. The bike rides real nice, no jumping around, even at 65. The rack comes off in a couple of seconds, folds up and fits in trunk. Rack and bike take about 5 minutes to mount to car.

It looks like the bike hangs out about 6 inches on each side, but it's really just about even, check the pictures. The piece of wood distributes the weight over a larger area so you don't dent the rear trunk, the towel goes between the wood and paint. I put Velco on the plywood and rack rubber pads so that the wood wouldn't slip out, bit of overkill, but I like it.

URY914
Cool
McMark
Nice work!
bandjoey
IF you can ever find the original ski rack fittings - or make your own - , for the bumper and under the targa, you can mount a normal Yakama (and probably others) bike rack. Until then, good mount. I'm going to try it. Bill piratenanner.gif
rjames
Beautiful car. If it were mine I'd be too worried about scratching the paint to try that.
Well done, sir. beer.gif
jsayre914
in that 3rd pic it looks as though you tied a 914 to your bike blink.gif

nice job
SGB
looks like a really fun cruiser.

-the car too.

smile.gif
DonTraver
I painted her 8 years ago in my driveway, so I can fix the paint. But if you look at the rear shot, I bungey (sp) cord the wheels when I load it first. My knee keeps the front wheel from striking the trunk lid until I get the cord on, takes seconds to do.

I saw the instructions for the targa bar mount. Today, unatainable, and a whole lot of work trying to manufacture one in a home shop. One thing I didn't like about the targa bar mount is that it's bolted on, so installing, removing would eventually strip the bolt holes, and it's too ugly to leave on permanently. It would also block access to the engine because the lid wouldn't open completely with the mounts installed.

I like being able to remove and store the rack in the trunk in seconds without needing any tools.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.