Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Bushing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Newbie question of the day....

Refering to the steering boot under the gas tank; is that a bearing that is in there, or a bushing? I see both on Pelican, but am not sure which I need.

Thanks

Rique
ericread
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 25 2009, 08:12 PM) *

Newbie question of the day....

Refering to the steering boot under the gas tank; is that a bearing that is in there, or a bushing? I see both on Pelican, but am not sure which I need.

Thanks

Rique

There is a bearing inside a rubber assembly under the boot. I did some research on it last year, and it seems there is no direct replacement part for it. However, the good news is it's a very stout bearing, and they almost never fail. I removed mine, thoroughly greased it and re-installed it. Since then I have had no problems with it.

The only real problem I had was that the old grease has solidified in the bearing, causing it to partially seize. After a thorough cleaning and re-greasing, it continues to work well for me.

Good luck!

Eric Read
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ericread @ Jul 26 2009, 12:03 AM) *

There is a bearing inside a rubber assembly under the boot. I did some research on it last year, and it seems there is no direct replacement part for it. However, the good news is it's a very stout bearing, and they almost never fail. I removed mine, thoroughly greased it and re-installed it. Since then I have had no problems with it.

The only real problem I had was that the old grease has solidified in the bearing, causing it to partially seize. After a thorough cleaning and re-greasing, it continues to work well for me.

Good luck!

Eric Read

Ok, so it is the bearing that I need. They have it on Pelican, so that is all I needed to know, thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 26 2009, 01:01 AM) *

Ok, so it is the bearing that I need. They have it on Pelican, so that is all I needed to know, thanks!

Post a link ...

I'm pretty sure the bearing on pelican is for the steering column, not the rubber coupler ...
shades.gif Andy
ericread
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 26 2009, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 26 2009, 01:01 AM) *

Post a link ...

I'm pretty sure the bearing on pelican is for the steering column, not the rubber coupler ...
shades.gif Andy

agree.gif

Like I said, I did a pretty thorough search some months ago and was unable to find a replacement part.

Eric
ellisor3
Here is the number for the bearing:901.347.241.01
Here is the number for the coupling:901.347.201.02
and where you can find the bearing:http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id...l3RGTQFeGbbsjiw

Here is the coupling: http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id...l3RGTQFeGbbsjiw
RiqueMar

It goes here correct? I wasn't even aware anything went there....

IPB Image
Lavanaut
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jul 26 2009, 04:18 PM) *

Here is the number for the bearing:901.347.241.01
Here is the number for the coupling:901.347.201.02
and where you can find the bearing:http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id...l3RGTQFeGbbsjiw

You can't link directly to the results of the search unfortunately, you need to drop the part # into the search box and re-run it.

Reid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.