Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want Fog Lights to WorK Independent of Headlamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I would like to get my fog lights to work independent of my headlamps. Ideally I would like the fog lamps to go on when I use the parking lights (and turn off as well) - as opposed to only going on when the headlights are on. On my 911 I was able to change some wiring on the fuse box and am hoping it will be that simple on the 914.

Thanks
Sleepin
Vance, I believe JWest has what you are looking for. I am pretty sure this kit does the trick:

http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/fog.htm

Mark Henry
Jwest will give you daytime running lights, but guys mainly get it for the flashing slow traffic part of his kit.

For just daytime running lights you can DIY with Demick's instructions:
http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 25 2009, 08:50 PM) *

Jwest will give you daytime running lights, but guys mainly get it for the flashing slow traffic part of his kit.

I used his rewiring instructions and it works perfect. Easy to understand.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 26 2009, 02:36 AM) *

I did this mod the other night. Worked like a charmer.
Zach
underthetire
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 26 2009, 12:36 AM) *

agree.gif

Well worth it for the instructions alone.
Mike Bellis
The ground wire for the fog light relay needs to be moved. It is connected to the High beam fuse. When the high beams are off, the terminal is grounded through the filiment. Un=plug the wire from the top of the fuse panel and ground it.

The positive turn on wire gets power from the Low beam fuse. The fog lights only work when the low beams are on. Un-plug the positive wire and move it to fuse 8 or 9, these fuses are powered by the key.

Once done the fog lights will work any time the key is on and the switch is pulled out.
Rod
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 30 2010, 07:16 AM) *

The ground wire for the fog light relay needs to be moved. It is connected to the High beam fuse. When the high beams are off, the terminal is grounded through the filiment. Un=plug the wire from the top of the fuse panel and ground it.

The positive turn on wire gets power from the Low beam fuse. The fog lights only work when the low beams are on. Un-plug the positive wire and move it to fuse 8 or 9, these fuses are powered by the key.

Once done the fog lights will work any time the key is on and the switch is pulled out.

It has always annoyed me that it's either fogs or full beam, not both. THANKYOU!

I have the J west relay for flashing purposes, do I have to wire differently to above??

I don't understand where the negative wire is from the first paragraph above, sounds like it's earthed in the fusebox??
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 5 2010, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 30 2010, 07:16 AM) *

It has always annoyed me that it's either fogs or full beam, not both. THANKYOU!

I have the J west relay for flashing purposes, do I have to wire differently to above??

I don't understand where the negative wire is from the first paragraph above, sounds like it's earthed in the fusebox??

The ground for the fog light relay comes from the high beam positive...

Lets look at the complete circuit.
from the fuse- to the lamp filiment- to chassis ground. When power is NOT applied to the high beam fuse, its potential is ground. The lamp completes the circuit to ground. When power is applied to the high fuse through the HI/Lo relay, the lamp turns on. Because the lamp is there, it is not a direct short to ground. So, with the High beams off the fog relay uses a connection on the fuse as its ground. with the high beams on, the ground potential goes away. electrical current flow only depends on having a more negative path. Not a true ground. If you remove the fog relay ground wire from the high fuse and simply ground it to the chassis, the fogs will work any time the headlights are on. The relay coil takes the load and prevents a direct short.

If you take the fog relay power terminal and put it to fuse 8 or 9 (power with key), the fogs will turn on at any time if the ground mod is done.

I have not examined the J west relay so I cant comment on its install. If you give me the scematic I would be able to help you figure it out with my mod.
913B

I am going to try it since i am there already fixing my hi beam problem evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif
steuspeed
JWest mod is great. Plug and play. You can return to stock if you ever want to. Love to just run the fogs in the early evening. You can also flash other teeners with your fogs anytime too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.