Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took a Little Trip to SLO This Weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
Well, my son and his wife have officially moved to San Luis Obispo (SLO), CA. So I thought I'd take a little trip to see their new diggs.

I left Irvine, CA about 2:00 pm on thursday, traveling up the 405 to the 101, which takes you through Malibu, Santa Barbara, and on up to SLO. As I went through LA on the 405, it was in the mid 90's. But by the time I hit Malibu, the coastal air was down to the mid 60's! All in about a 25 mile driving range. I hit the usual traffic around Malibu and Santa Barbara and as a result of road delays due to crashes (not mine), it took me about 5 hours to arrive in SLO, which is about 265 miles from my home in Irvine.

Returning on Saturday, I left SLO about 4:00 pm and arrived back in Irvine at 8:00 pm. 265 miles in four hours after fighting through the SB, Malibu and LA traffic - not too bad!

Ok, here's the notes:
1. Lots of Hiway Patrol cars on the 101. If you decide to travel this way, keep you speed down to the low 70's.
2. It gets hot inland, and pretty cool at the ocean edge. Be prepared for both.
3. Although SLO shows a high of around 80 degrees each day, the fog rolls in at night and gets mighty cool.
3. There are a number of pretty steep and long hills to climb on this trip, so make sure your teener is running well before you attempt such a trip. Although I kept a close eye on my oil temp and CHT gauges, I never experienced any serious temp issues.
4. Keeping my speed to the mid 70's, my 2.0L '74 teener got 30.8 miles per gallon! (YAY!)
5. There are lots of wineries areund SLO, and it is absolutely a beautiful area.
6. I saw several teeners tooling around SLO. And a bunch of Alpha Romeos.

Eric
Joe Bob
Clear skies.....look up, the Air Bitch is up there. 75+ and ya get tagged.....fight it, and the ground guy, the pilot and the stalker need to show in court. They never get all three in at the same time.....BTDT.

Foggy? Keep the V1 on and let someone take the lead.......you can do 85+ w/o an issue. There is a "how fast ya going" Ka band radar at Gaviota just north past the tunnel.

If you have just one bogey you are cool. Two? A chippie is hiding right next to it.....no laser in many years of doing the 90 mile run between here and the County border....they are lazy and just use the always on device......but ya never know, stop and gimme call when ya pass thru next time.

sww914
Welcome him to SLO for us. Did you get him his bulletproof vest yet? This is a very dangerous place, crackwhores and drug dealers everywhere, hence the need for all the police presence. smile.gif
I blast up and down the 101 frequently, the best place to get pulled over is around Buellton. HWY 154 can save some time but the hills are steeper.
I'll be opening a Porsche shop in SLO in a week, stop by and say Hi sometime. I'll probably get a banner ad here after I get my website up and also I plan to host a large BBQ at the new shop after I've settled in a little, all interesting cars are welcome, even NARPS.
bembry
Congrats on the move--I've give my right arm to live in SLO. I've got family in Morro Bay. Good 914 driving roads and weather around there!
EdwardBlume
SLO is a cool town. Take good care of it... I plan to retire there, or go work for Steve.
DonnyT
I drive Hwy 101 & 154 several times per week for work.
The CHP always hides out on Southbound 154 just after you cross the Santa Ynez river southbound. There is a passing lane, and some nice long turnouts with hidee spots. Also, between Santa Maria and Los Alamos after you climb the gradual uphill, and start down the other side into Los Alamos. Look on the right side as you go around the slight curve under the first and second oak trees.
Also, right before you get to 154 turnoff southbound 101, Also slight curve, downhill and next to the oak trees.

Don
dw914er
ahh the CHP... fun times with them... i dont even pass 70 mph

welcome to slo... it's quiet up there since all the college kids, myself included, are home for the summer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.