Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Seal Questions.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
I've only had the car a few days and don't have another 914 handy for comparison, so thanks in advance for your help. Here goes...

1.) When the windows are fully up, they do not meet the side seals on the hardtop...mostly at the forward edge. I'm guessing this is probably due to shrinkage of the side seals and I should replace them?

2.) The rear seal on the top...the "U" shaped one that contacts the roll bar is pretty crapped out. I'm going to replace it. There's also some kind of foam tape stuff on the roll bar where it contacts the seal. I'm guessing this was an attempt by the previous owner to make that crappy top seal work, and I can take that off when I replace the seal. Am I correct?

On another note, the rear window...did they have gaskets or are they simply "glued" into place and sealed? Mine looks like it was done by a drunk with some clear silicone sealant.
Ken
rfuerst911sc
Ken if you look in the vendors section mikey914 is a vendor that has provided aftermarket seals of great quality and price. He sells the seals you are describing. Keep in mind most of the seals are coming up on 35+ years old so they need to be replaced. The rear window was installed with butyl tape which is this black tar like glop. After my repaint I had a local glass guy reinstall the rear window with urethane adhesive which is how newer cars have the fixed glass installed. Hope this helps.
kenshapiro2002
Thanks...appreciate the help. What about my questions about the "foam tape" that's on my rollbar. Is that correct or is it something a PO did to make up for the seal being shot?
Ken

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jul 26 2009, 03:51 PM) *

Ken if you look in the vendors section mikey914 is a vendor that has provided aftermarket seals of great quality and price. He sells the seals you are describing. Keep in mind most of the seals are coming up on 35+ years old so they need to be replaced. The rear window was installed with butyl tape which is this black tar like glop. After my repaint I had a local glass guy reinstall the rear window with urethane adhesive which is how newer cars have the fixed glass installed. Hope this helps.

smontanaro
The foam tape is almost certainly an "aftermarket" addition. Full details in the
PET (Chapter 8, Section 811).
kenshapiro2002
Thanks.
Ken

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jul 26 2009, 04:58 PM) *

The foam tape is almost certainly an "aftermarket" addition. Full details in the
PET (Chapter 8, Section 811).

Mikey914
1.) When the windows are fully up, they do not meet the side seals on the hardtop...mostly at the forward edge. I'm guessing this is probably due to shrinkage of the side seals and I should replace them?

Yes this is shrinkage, got them. If you have leaks and you wuill have the car outside in rain, yes, you probably want to replace them

2.) The rear seal on the top...the "U" shaped one that contacts the roll bar is pretty crapped out. I'm going to replace it. There's also some kind of foam tape stuff on the roll bar where it contacts the seal. I'm guessing this was an attempt by the previous owner to make that crappy top seal work, and I can take that off when I replace the seal. Am I correct?

Sounds like someone tried to patch it. Got these, they're pretty easy to replace, just takes some time to clea of fthe old mess.

On another note, the rear window...did they have gaskets or are they simply "glued" into place and sealed? Mine looks like it was done by a drunk with some clear silicone sealant.

Your probably not far off on your guess. Any glass shop can replace this using butyl rubber. You could if you want to, it will take some time an patience. It's just a matter of if you want to pay someone or not. It's not too hard, just takes time and patience..

Hope this helps
kenshapiro2002
Thanks...I'd give you the business, but I ordered the three seals from Atlanta before somebody told me about you...next time. Thanks again.
Ken

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 26 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Yes this is shrinkage, got them. If you have leaks and you wuill have the car outside in rain, yes, you probably want to replace them

Sounds like someone tried to patch it. Got these, they're pretty easy to replace, just takes some time to clea of fthe old mess.

Your probably not far off on your guess. Any glass shop can replace this using butyl rubber. You could if you want to, it will take some time an patience. It's just a matter of if you want to pay someone or not. It's not too hard, just takes time and patience..

Hope this helps

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 26 2009, 01:38 PM) *

I've only had the car a few days and don't have another 914 handy for comparison, so thanks in advance for your help. Here goes...

Ken

Ken,
#1 can be a function of maladjustmet. Look it up on this forum. It CAN be adjusted out. That;s why they hae these wierdo adjustment screw on the bottom of the doors.
Pat
kenshapiro2002
Pretty sure it'snot adjustment since the glass is fully in the channel that comes off the "vent" window...just has a smallgap between the glass and the top seals near the front. Thanks though.
Ken

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 26 2009, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 26 2009, 01:38 PM) *

Ken

Ken,
#1 can be a function of maladjustmet. Look it up on this forum. It CAN be adjusted out. That;s why they hae these wierdo adjustment screw on the bottom of the doors.
Pat

CliffBraun
That whole channel can be pivoted at the bottom using an adjustment screw thingy. It has a nut on it to lock it down and is slotted for a screwdriver.
CliffBraun
That whole channel can be pivoted at the bottom using an adjustment screw thingy. It has a nut on it to lock it down and is slotted for a screwdriver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.