Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I GOT a new creeper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I hate my creeper, and it is slowly dying.

If I have to spend any time on it, I get up with a rocking headache and sometimes a little sick to my stomach too. The wheels are too small to roll on asphalt, and the creeper still sits pretty high off the ground.

I am looking for a creeper that:
1) won't have me cussing a blue streak with an aching head if I have to be on it for a while

2) has wheels that work on asphalt driveways

3) is actually low to the ground.

4) does not suck.

I eagerly await your replies.

Zach
jonferns
Hey Zach, hows it going? As far as creepers go I use a harbor freight unit that has held up to alot of use and, most importantly, didnt break the bank. It isn't the most comfortable for the back, but it has a headrest and some neat trays alongside to hold loose bolts, tools, etc.

Harbor Freight Creeper
URY914
these Dog Bone creepers look cool. Some models have big wheels to ease rolling.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_19656_19656
VaccaRabite
Comfort is my number one concern. Rolling is a distant second. If someone has one that is actually comfortable, that is what I want to know. I am tired of dreading getting under my projects for the headache that is sure to follow.

Zach
d914
here ya go.. griots...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/in+you...vals&page=1
sww914
I bought this one after a back surgery. My old one had a steel bar right under my stitches. This is the best creeper ever. You can get a tray for the side too.
jt914-6
Sounds like you need one with an adjustable head rest. That makes a difference. Also one with at least six wheels. Steel wheels roll better than plastic ones. I've got one with those features plus a steel frame. I've seen the "dogbone" types and have used them, but none I remember had an adjustable head rest. I prefer the adjustable head rest. Your neck doesn't kill you if you have to be holding your head up to work.
slackin' at work
I say ditch the creeper... and get a lift. idea.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Zack:
My vote is for a lift ,one you can take apart to move to your next

house. As you age and the eyes go creepers are almost impossible with

Bifocals . Of the ceeepers I like the a from girots garage. Adjustable head rest

is good option. A lift can be gotton for about $2,000 .00 could investment for a

young man. My 2 cents Dave slap.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 27 2009, 12:00 AM) *

I bought this one after a back surgery. My old one had a steel bar right under my stitches. This is the best creeper ever. You can get a tray for the side too.

I have one very similar to that. I like it a lot, but the wheels are too small for your asphalt surface and the head rest is not adjustable. That said, the Griot's Garage creeper looks awesome!

If you buy a lift, though, I bet 914 guys will be beating a path to your door every weekend. Whether that's a Good Thing™ or not depends on your perspective.
VaccaRabite
A lift would be ideal, but is not viable this year and probably not next year. In the mean time, I need a good creeper to get my projects on the road.

Zach
carr914
This is what I have, but since I have a lift I can't remember the last time I used it.

Click to view attachment

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_126...anics+Equipment

When and if you buy a lift, DON"T buy a cheap inexpensive Chinese piece of crap.
Use the same logic we give to Newbies when it comes to 914s, buy the best car you can afford - Pay me Now or Pay me Later.

T.C.
type11969
Slide on the ground. Great clearance and you clean your garage floor at the same time!

(stupid stamped concrete garage floor rendering my creeper useless . . . )
underthetire
I second the molded harbor freight one. In fact, spent time on it this weekend. On sale for 22 bucks too. I don't like the Metal "bar " type ones. My shirt ends up under the wheels all the time. Not a problem with the molded ones.
zymurgist
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jul 27 2009, 11:01 AM) *

Slide on the ground. Great clearance and you clean your garage floor at the same time!

laugh.gif

If your garage floor is really nasty, throw down a large sheet of cardboard, available almost anywhere for free.
Shade Tree
Creepers with angled casters roll a LOT better....even on asphalt.
type11969
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 27 2009, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(type11969 @ Jul 27 2009, 11:01 AM) *

laugh.gif

If your garage floor is really nasty, throw down a large sheet of cardboard, available almost anywhere for free.

Yeah, I usually use cardboard or a crappy blanket, helps with the sliding too. Sometimes I am in a rush and forget, end up with a big old black smear on my teeshirt on my right shoulder blade (apparently I favor that one while sliding). The worst is during the winter when sliding and my shirt rolls up just enough that skin hits ice cold concrete. Lovely.
zymurgist
I use cardboard if I have to work on a car outside (my driveway is gravel, dirt, and weeds). Plastic creepers get just as cold as concrete in the winter time...
sww914
In Hawaii it was different. My boss points towards the corner and says " You gotta get da creepah" (get the creeper). I look and see nothing. He says " Da creepah, right deah" (the creeper right there) and I'm still not seeing it. He walks up and pulls out one of these-Click to view attachment

And says " dis is da kine HAWAIIAN creepah!" (dis is da kine Hawaiian creepah).
I still have one. I use it at the track.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 26 2009, 09:00 PM) *

Cup holders?
underthetire
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 27 2009, 10:50 AM) *

I use cardboard if I have to work on a car outside (my driveway is gravel, dirt, and weeds). Plastic creepers get just as cold as concrete in the winter time...

True, 40 degrees is 40 degrees. piratenanner.gif
VaccaRabite
My wife gave my our Anniversary present a month early (she got hers a few weeks ago by request, so its all cool).

UPS dropped off the Griots Garage Cadillac Creeper.

As creepers go, it is pretty damn epic.

Product Review:
IPB Image

UPS dropped off the box, and it was large, square, and not creeper sized. I was concerned. The amount of construction that one needs to do for simple things (liek most creepers) is VERY frusterating - and can often take over an hour - or longer when you drop a screw and have to find it our buy a new one before you can use your new toy.

My first smile came when I realized that this creeper was delivered in 6 parts - total. 4 wheels, the body, and the headrest. All of the 6 components were already assembled - no hardware to have to chase! It took maybe 10 minutes to put it all together. Big score for Griots there.

So, it went together nice - but does it WORK?

Ohhhhh yeah.

Ground clearance:
Its about the same as my old crappy creeper, the exception being the headrest which is height adjustable.

Rolling:
It rolls. The dirt and whatnot on my garage floor posed zero problems. It rolls VERY easily. The real test though was my asphalt driveway.

Those who have been to my house have noted that my drive is on a bit of a hill. Not too much, but enough to have caused mishaps in the past (my garage door still has traces of blue paint....).

I lay down on the creeper in the garage and gave myself a good shove out the door. I was quickly rocketing down the slope towards the street. Rolling over leaves, twigs, stones and accelerating. The wheels - the same type that are on inline skates, had zero problems moving (very quickly) over my drive. I put me feet down and stopped without too much more drama, but still a bit surprised at the turn of events.

I'd say rolling around will not be a problem.

Comfort:
You could sleep on it.
I weigh in at #228 and 5'10" it was plenty wide for someone larger then me. There were not pinch points that I could find. The adjustable head rest did an excellent job at supporting my head at various heights and angles. Operation of the head rest was instinctive and one handed while on the creeper. I had been worried about this.

The wheels are way out on the side, so it was impossible for me to tip it over, going side to side no matter how I rolled or squirmed.

It did tent to pitch forward some. The head side wheels are located at shoulder level. With the head rest all the way down, it would lift the rear wheels up a little when pushing with your feet against the ground. If the forward wheels had been located further up the creeper, this could not have happened. Pretty far from a deal breaker, though.

Fit and Finish:
This was the one area where Griots lost points with me. Fit and Finish could have been improved. The first thing I noticed taking it out of the box was that the big Griots logo sticker was not centered in place. Just sloppy placement. The sticker, by design, draws the eye, and is clearly misplaced in its field.

Second, one of the welds had a small hole blown through. I expect this on my welds. It is not structurally unsound. I just have an expectation that welds will be solid on pro-made goods.

These won't affect usage (and if the weld DOES break it will be covered under the lifetime warranty VS defect - so I will deal with it then) but I expected the fit and finish to be a little higher on a $140 creeper.

Zach

Gint
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 26 2009, 07:02 AM) *
It did tent to pitch forward some.

Pitch a tent? You musta been really excited.

How much are they?
slackin' at work
wow. thanks for the write up. that was the one I was eying.

I may have to put that on my "anniversary list" as well since that's coming up in a few weeks.
beer3.gif

AND IT'S NOW ON SALE FOR $125!!
zymurgist
thumb3d.gif
Rod
Nice write up smile.gif Hope it helps with the headaches..
tod914
Real nice Zach. Beats crawling around. Looks like a real neck and back saver. Griot's is offering free shipping this month too. Great gift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.