Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 relay board connector t4b
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
I am trying to diagnois a fuel pump problem. I know the relays are good and when i jump a wire from the front left pin to ground and turn the key on the pump runs. If it is disconnected and the connector is plugged in it does not. Where does the white wire for this pin go to?

Click to view attachment

underthetire
Goes to the ECU. ECU runs it with key on only for a second or two. Doesn't run the pump again until cranking/running.
championgt1
So it is safe to assume that there is a problem with that wire somewhere between the board and the ECU? Or is the ECU a possible problem?
ahdoman
Check your fuses on the board as well. One of them is for the fuel pump and can become corroded.
underthetire
I don't have the pin out for the ECU connector here. Could be either. You can remove the connector on the ECU and ground it there to test it. Could be a bad driver in the ECU. Could even be a connector problem on the ECU, or a bad trace or solder joint. I never opened my ECU, I got rid of it.

FYI just make sure your not chasing something that is not really the problem. I think the pump only runs for 1 second when you turn the key on. Kinda hard to tell.
underthetire
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jul 27 2009, 11:23 AM) *

Check your fuses on the board as well. One of them is for the fuel pump and can become corroded.

True, however by grounding the pin he has eliminated that possibility. But for sure check it anyway.
championgt1
I just pulled the ECU out and traced the wire from the connector on the relay board to the ECU. With my tester is shows continuity and with the key on shows 12 volts. It seems like that is correct.However I have the fuel line from the pump going to a glass bottle and it is getting no fuel in the bottle unless I jump the pin to ground. confused24.gif
underthetire
Sounds correct. You are seeing the 12 through the coil of the relay. My guess is you have a bad ECU. Can't hurt to open it and see if anything is visibly wrong. Or see if anyone close to you has a ECU you could try.
championgt1
underthetire thanks for all your help and quick responses. There is a member local to me with a rebuilt ECU sitting in his garage. I will swap them out and see what happens.
underthetire
No problem. I actually have to go work now anyway. Good luck.
JeffBowlsby
This may help:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm
sixnotfour
RicD just had the same problem switched out the ECU, works now.
championgt1
Problem found. It's running again.

Thanks everyone. beerchug.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 27 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Thanks everyone. beerchug.gif

Well?
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 27 2009, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 27 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Well?

agree.gif
championgt1

FYI just make sure your not chasing something that is not really the problem. I think the pump only runs for 1 second when you turn the key on. Kinda hard to tell.
[/quote]

This was the problem all along. A member brought over a remanufactured ECU and we plugged it in. He could here the relay click and the pump run. Ok, ECU is bad. Just to be sure we plugged my ECU back in and again he could here the relay click and the pump run.

The problem all along was that by myself in the car I could not here the pump run and thought there was an actual problem, when there was not. slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.