Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter grenade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
My starter actually locked itself to the flywheel with some awesome sounds. My starter is the first pic, but the parts book shows the second pic. I ordered a duplicate of what i had, but which one is the correct one? If it's the second one i'm really fuched.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 27 2009, 12:44 PM) *

My starter actually locked itself to the flywheel with some awesome sounds. My starter is the first pic, but the parts book shows the second pic. I ordered a duplicate of what i had, but which one is the correct one? If it's the second one i'm really fuched.

first is correct. Typical bosch mixup from years ago
Joe Bob
Might wanna scope out the flywheel teet as well....
underthetire
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 27 2009, 01:15 PM) *

Might wanna scope out the flywheel teet as well....

Teeth look ok. I'm pulling motor and trans in the fall to check things out a little better. Thanks all.
Cap'n Krusty
I don't think Bosch had anything to do with the mixup. Most chain auto parts stores, the ones I ALWAYS rail against, and most other parts sources using US generated parts books and software, make the same error. I've NEVER seen that error in ANY Bosch literature, nor in any parts books from the European oriented WDs. The answer? NEVER patronize the chain parts stores, ALWAYS patronize our German car based sponsors and friends. And be sure to ask here before spending your money on stuff like this. BTW, the pictures don't show the stickers typically found on a Genuine Bosch Remanufactured starter, so the odds are you bought a POS that'll require early replacement. The Cap'n
underthetire
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 27 2009, 01:54 PM) *

I don't think Bosch had anything to do with the mixup. Most chain auto parts stores, the ones I ALWAYS rail against, and most other parts sources using US generated parts books and software, make the same error. I've NEVER seen that error in ANY Bosch literature, nor in any parts books from the European oriented WDs. The answer? NEVER patronize the chain parts stores, ALWAYS patronize our German car based sponsors and friends. And be sure to ask here before spending your money on stuff like this. BTW, the pictures don't show the stickers typically found on a Genuine Bosch Remanufactured starter, so the odds are you bought a POS that'll require early replacement. The Cap'n

Yes its a chain autoparts store. Yes it has a lifetime warranty. The starter that blew up was a bosch reman. So I might drive this car 100 or so days out of the year. Figure 5 years for a POS starter in a daily driver, at 300 days a year, so this should last me fifteen years. I'd rather give up my money to our german car based sponsors for fun things, like seals or lenses or transmission parts so my car will shift correctly. Trust me, george has a nice bit of my money already.
SLITS
The Cap'n is correct. The Lester and other catalog companies that do electrical catalogs have perpetuated the same error in every publication (and refuse to correct it). The first pic is an SR17X (Lester 16300), also called the VW "automatic" starter. The second pic is na SR15X (Lester 16450) ... for type 1s not for type 4s.

The "parts people" at the FLAPS are not parts people at all. If it doesn't come up by make, model, year and engine size on their 'puter they can't tell if it's their ass or a hole in the ground.

You can also use the 911, SR68X (1.5 HP) - Lester 16426 - OE 0 001 312 100

SR17X is Bosch reman number - orginal OE is 0 001 212 005

SR15X = 0 001 212 012
underthetire
That is true 90% of the time. The guy I had yesterday was very helpful and actually got the number off my starter and found the replacement. Even was very happy to be able to test it. I'm sure he will find a better job soon enough. bye1.gif
Hammy
As said above the problem isn't Bosch, it's the auto parts chain stores........

They'll sell you a starter for an automatic bus or something.

They DO offer lifetime warranties though (at least Autozone). I figured their "rebuilt" starter would be toast in a month, it's last over two years so far.
SLITS
Rant On/ Understand that the "lifetime warranty" was forced upon the rebuilders by the mass merchandizers (Autozone, etc) a few years ago. Also undedrstand the way they work ... in order to get the business, the mass merchandizers dictate to the rebuilder the price and stocking level in their stores. They do not pay for anything until it's sold. All stores are stocked with whatever ... at the end of 6 months an inventory is taken ... what was sold is paid for.

Add to this the cheap ass chinese imports and well ............ Rant Off

Now you might know why a great percentage of the "production rebuilders" have gone out of business and a greater percentage of what is left have moved into Mexico and some other cheap ass places.
Cap'n Krusty
The "upside" of cheap crap with a lifetime warranty is you'll get lots of practice changing it out ....................

Been there, seen that.

The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
Sometimes the FLAPS is better than you think. You just have to build a rappor with the parts guys there.

One time I asked the new parts monkey behind the counter at my FLAPS for a alternator belt for a 74 Porsche 914, and he didn't even bother to look. He just said "We don't carry parts for Porsches here. You are going to have to go to the dealer for that."

So I asked him for the alternator belt for a 74 VW bus with a 1800CC type 4 engine, and after looking it up he said "We have that one on the rack in the back."

After paying for the belt, I told him to get the manager. See, this FLAPS is real close to my house, and I know all the management and the senior parts guys by name. So normally they go out of their way to accommodate me and get me the right parts. Well, I told the manager that his new parts guy was turning away business by not bothering to look something up for a customer, and then told the parts monkey that the belt he sold me was actually going on the 74 Porsche,and that it used the same basic engine as the 74 VW bus, he was completely flabbergasted.

The manager told him, in no uncertain terms, that he was ALWAYS to try to find the part for the customer, even if it was something way out of the ordinary. And if he ever told a customer that they didn't carry a part without looking, he would be looking for a new job.

He lasted less than 2 months there. And the manager still greets me by name every time he sees me in there. The rest of the long term parts guys and girls there know that I may give them a challenge when I walk through the door, but I will be back because the service they give me is always good.

underthetire
So i ordered it yesterday (sunday) at about 2 PM. Get a call at 9:05 this morning (monday) from the same guy that ordered it. Its there waiting for me. Just put it in and works just fine.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 27 2009, 11:01 PM) *

So i ordered it yesterday (sunday) at about 2 PM. Get a call at 9:05 this morning (monday) from the same guy that ordered it. Its there waiting for me. Just put it in and works just fine.

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif Yay! I just love a happy ending. biggrin.gif

Warrenoliver
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.