Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thought the Engine Blew
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
The car is up on blocks and, just for grins, I stuck it in 4th gear. Crawled under the car & rotated the wheels to see if it was seized or if I could hear anything. The wheel rotated with no resistance. When all this happened I tried to restart the car while at the side of the road and I heard grinding for 2 turns then a clunk & then nothing moved like it was seized. What in the tranny would do this if there is rotation now? sad.gif
Also, is it still best to remove the engine along with the tranny if all that is needed is just the tranny?

...........b
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Mar 7 2004, 12:27 PM)
...What in the tranny would do this if there is rotation now? ...is it still best to remove the engine along with the tranny if all that is needed is just the tranny?

FIRST check your CV's - very common failure mode.
i had a front-drive car act like that with a failed front wheel bearing, so check that as a possibility too.

your call on removal - it's about a tossup. make sure the engine's well supported if you go that way. but since you have to remove halfshafts anyway to get the tranny out, i'd check those REAL GOOD before committing to anything more extensive...
Bruce Allert
Rich, what is the half shaft? I've looked at the manual but can't find anything with regards to that naming.
Thanks for the info, this ay be the light at the end of the tunnel I was hoping for!

......b
J P Stein
Bruce:

To turn over the motor via the wheels, ya gotta spin one but not allow the opposite one to turn.....while it's in gear, of course.
Bruce Allert
Now I feel stupid headbang.gif I forgot 'bout that.....
thanks JP.....

........b
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Mar 7 2004, 12:46 PM)
Rich, what is the half shaft?

driveshaft - one of two, hence the name. the stuff between the drive flanges and the stub axles. use an impact to remove the outer 30mm castle nut, remove the trisquare bolts at the drive flange, pry the CV off the flange, and drop out the halfshafts.

that'll make it easy to evaluate not only the CV's but the individual wheel bearings.

i hope that's all it is ...
davep
Well, I would think that the tranny is okay as are the half shafts. If you could spin one wheel, then that whole side is okay as is the diff. Didn't you try to restart the engine while coasting to a stop by popping the clutch? If so the tranny, clutch and everything back of that is okay. That basically leaves the engine. I'd say a broken valve. Had that happen to me once.

DaveP
Porsche Rescue
Bruce, engine should turn over with clutch pedal depressed. However, if clutch cable or some other clutch thing is broken, car would try to move when you used the starter.

You can pull the plugs, put a socket on the fan pully bolt and turn the engine by hand. That should tell you if it is truly locked up.
Bruce Allert
I am believing the engine is the culprit sad.gif So...... just got in from spending 6 hrs under, around & over the engine disconnecting everything. It is now ready to drop! boldblue.gif I still can't decide if I should remove the HE's. I took off the muffler (last thing I did) & realized it was late & I was tired! I spent extra time under the car cleaning different things I came across that I thought I might use on the other engine. I must say, this is an experience beer.gif I have also come to a realization today; I don't get up off'a da floor as easily like I used to wink.gif Oh well, such is life cool_shades.gif

.........b

P.s. Gonna go over to JP's & pick up his RV jack & suck this mutha out!
TheCabinetmaker
Good luck Bruce, Save the Fat Tires for after the engine is out. laugh.gif Well, most of em anyway. <_< Then look at it on the floor, and light a stogie. I'll send ya an Opus X when it runs again.(insert cigar smiley here).

Curt

P.S. pull it all together. lot's less trouble. two bolts forward, four bolts rear. Carry on!
J P Stein
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Mar 7 2004, 07:00 PM)
I have also come to a realization today; I don't get up off'a da floor as easily like I used to wink.gif Oh well, such is life cool_shades.gif

.........b

P.s. Gonna go over to JP's & pick up his RV jack & suck this mutha out!

Ahem....yes....hunkerin' down is easy.....it's the unhunker that gets ya sad.gif

Come on ahead & get the rv lifterthingy.....but lemmeno when.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Mar 7 2004, 07:00 PM)
I still can't decide if I should remove the HE's.

no need to pull the HE's ...

just drop engine & tranny as one, as described in earlier threads ...
Andy
Porsche Rescue
Andy is correct, unless you plan to use them on your replacement motor. Easier to remove with engine in the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.