Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ting ting engine noise on a 2.2 /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Left hand side, more towards the front rocker area. severial times now, warm, but not hot (4min run @ 80mph).
Sounds like an engine cooling, ting ting, but loud enough to hear over an idling engine, a few times /min.

My buddies car, it's got a flat spot and it's backfiring a bit. I'm looking for an exhaust leak, going to adjust the carbs, plugs and timing.

Timing? #1 is right front and there should be a mark bottom of fan right?
Stock 2.2, solexes, with a fireball ignition.
What do you guys want for advance? same as a T4? been a while...
Thanks
Justinp71
My buddies 911 sc had something similiar and it was a broke chain ramp in the timing chain housing. He replaced all the ramps, rebuilt the tensioners and added the safety collars on them.

It also seems to me that the fans commonly make noises on the 6's, I think its when the alternator bearings start getting sloppy...

Let us know what you find.

On my car I think I run 32 deg total timing, its a carbed 3.0...
r_towle
Yup, I would pull the covers and look at the static timing of the cams...and the tensioners.
If done now, it may be safer.

But, this comes from a guy who just did a 924S timing belt/head repair....so maybe I am a wee bit sensitive to the subject.
Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Left hand side, more towards the front rocker area. severial times now, warm, but not hot (4min run @ 80mph).
Sounds like an engine cooling, ting ting, but loud enough to hear over an idling engine, a few times /min.

My buddies car, it's got a flat spot and it's backfiring a bit. I'm looking for an exhaust leak, going to adjust the carbs, plugs and timing.

Stock 2.2, solexes, with a fireball ignition.
What do you guys want for advance? same as a T4? been a while...
Thanks

Set it at 30 degrees BTDC at 6K RPM. There's a label on the fan strap. 2.2s had Zenith carbs. Solexes were replaced by Webers sometime in 1966, and they in turn were replaced by Zeniths in 1970.
6freak
[quote name=

I thought it was right side back plug
"Timeing mark is on the flywheel".small rectangle hole between (of course the motor and tranny).If i remember correctly if its at TDC you should see a Z-1 mark ..Make sure the rotor is pointing at that plug...I could be all messed up so one of the pros will chim in soon.Hope im right my memory about as short as my penis lol-2.gif
Mark Henry
to me right front is... standing at back, right side, plug closest to the front of car
Mark Henry
Cap't you're right (I was guessing, but knew not weber) Thanks

Rich I hear ya, did the timing belt on my Passat 1.8T 3 weeks ago, 3 yrs overdue, belt was just a floppin and tensioner seized.
Sorry you didn't have my luck bud...I dodged the bullet, I bought a lotto ticket that day!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 28 2009, 12:32 PM) *

[quote name=

I thought it was right side back plug
"Timeing mark is on the flywheel".small rectangle hole between (of course the motor and tranny).If i remember correctly if its at TDC you should see a Z-1 mark ..Make sure the rotor is pointing at that plug...I could be all messed up so one of the pros will chim in soon.Hope im right my memory about as short as my penis lol-2.gif

CAUTION! If the car has a 2.2, 2.4, or 2.7 crank, the TDC mark on the flywheel will most likely be wrong! While the bolt pattern is the same, the clocking is different. You MUST confirm the TDC mark, as well as the timing marks with those on the pulley!

The Cap'n
Mark Henry
Do I use chop sticks?

Should have said this, it's a 911t and I think the original engine.

He had 1-1/2 quarts too much oil, looks like it's been leaking oil from the nose and sucking it through the fan. What a mess, I think i'll power wash it and try again tomorrow. Anything to watch for when washing (besides the intake and electrics left side and I guess the sump right, I'll cover/bag that) Never washed a 911 engine before.

Rocked the the engine back and forth, no noise from the chains, may check them anyways. Alternator/fan feels tight.
Mark Henry
Least I figured out where #1 is, LOL sticker was there, covered with masking tape.
r_towle
I would ask...or research...what is the chain tensioner?
I know that they do fail and upgrading to the later tensioner seems to be a popular upgrade....no idea.

ting ting ting....think about it.
You have the fan...OR
you have pistons/valve contact....
OR
Chain...
thems the moving parts that could go ting ting ting...

Rich
6freak
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2009, 03:21 PM) *

Least I figured out where #1 is, LOL sticker was there, covered with masking tape.

So where you right the first time .........Back of the car ,right side ,front ???...or was it back of the car right side back
Mark Henry
Closest to the dizzy, ass backwards from a T1 and T4. Probably the designer was a dyslexic from VW.

Figured out ting ting, pretty sure it's detonation... should of figured that, rhymes with ping.

Now timing marks...having a bit of trouble figuring out this pulley
Found this thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....667#post4731667 but the marks don't match what I have.

Can't find the VIN plate (trunk?) but the insurance slip says it's a '71.

The pic is of the pulley, timing was closest to these two marks that are 5mm apart, there is no Z1 mark. I've moved (retarded) the "at idle" speed close to the left (of the two 5mm apart marks) mark. I don't see a mark around 30*.....

Anyone know a better link on pulley timing marks?

I've done a rough sync and things are much better, crisper and the backfire is gone. Still popping through one carb barrel if I blip it a few times. But I'd like to figure out the timing before I rev it up.
Mark Henry
From the bird board:
The odd part about your picture is where the hole in the pully is in relation to the marks you are showing on the pulley. If you look at the pictures up above the hole in the pulley face is directly below the Z1 mark whereas on your picture it is well to the left of the mark you have the engine lined up on. All of these type of pulleys that I have seen have the holes in the face of the pulley line up with the Z1 mark.

Since I'm at work at the moment I can't check on this now but IIRC, the woodruff key that locates the pulley on the crankshaft also lines up with the Z1 mark on the pulley. I can check on this later if needed.

So in the pic it's sitting at 30*? far left is TDC and far right 35*?

Far left does have a line on the face, the others don't.

If so I'd say the advance isn't working right and that actually might have saved the engine, as it was way over advanced. Looks like it's only advancing a little over 5*.
rudedude
You are right!
The left mark is tdc and the right are 30 and 35 degrees.
Should also be marks at 120 degrees from tdc with line on face only
like tdc for valve timing, no cut on edge of pulley.
Jule
Mark Henry
I think the dizzy is pooched, or needs work. The weight is flopping but both springs are on. There is a thin black plate between the weight assembly and the bottom and it looks broken in 3-4 places, I can push them around with a screwdriver tip.

Dizzy # 0 231 159 002 is that correct for this engine?...and I guess I'm looking for one.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2009, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 28 2009, 03:21 PM) *

So where you right the first time .........Back of the car ,right side ,front ???...or was it back of the car right side back

What the hell are you talking about Mike?

#1 is the closest to the passenger, for those that didn't know. Mike, the engine Mark is working on isn't like yours. The markings may be different just as the Capt'n said. 914-6s are different than 911 engines and you can't assume the people who did the conversion did everything to read the same until you confirm it yourself.
Mark Henry
Guys... It's not a conversion, it's my mistake, I wasn't clear in the beginning of the thread.

It's a 911 1971 2.2t (i believe 2.2) the tag I found is, from rear of car, beside the dizzy is #1 /2/3 left side, 4/5/6 right side of a 911

Or is that the firing order ????...man where is #1 (sticker is in bad shape)

I'm a total dyslectic you need to be clear....
rudedude
#1 by the distributor, next are 2 and 3, other side opposite 1 is 4 then 5 and 6

Firing1-6-2-4-3-5
PeeGreen 914
beerchug.gif Cool. Which makes looking at the flywheel very difficult laugh.gif . So on 911s they have a sticker that says #1? I always knew #1 was closest to the distributor but that was just how I was taught. I didn't have to find it on my own. That is the right order but not the firing order.

rudedude has the right firing order.
Mark Henry
Cool, I had #1 right when timing, all that mattered then.

Here's a pic of the dizzy, screwdriver is pointing at the black plate I think is broke and the weight (almost 180* CW) is just flopping. Springs seem fine.
Mark Henry
Dizzy is a 2.0S and getting rare dry.gif but it's also not the correct one.....

At least it's not my money biggrin.gif

Mark Henry
I'm wondering if it's the correct engine????

on the side of the fan holder it says *611 1335*

Or is the engine code # somewhere else?
rudedude
behind the serial # on a vertical section is the engine type # that is more useful than serial#. Should be 911/03 for a 2.2T motor with zenith carbs
I think serial # is correct for 70/71 2.2T motor
6freak

[/quote]
What the hell are you talking about Mike?

[/quote]
I`m still learning Jon. I just could remember the #1 plug..so be nice slap.gif ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.