Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle cable early replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, while I was under my car earlier this week, I noticed that my (essentially) brand new Terry throttle cable was tearing apart. The sheath was separating from the metal nipple that attaches to the firewall.

This car has been driven under 5 miles since I installed the cable 1 year ago.

I bought the Terry cable as the board opinion seemed to be that they made a better product then OEM. I now need to replace the cable. Should I rebuy Terry or do I need to source an OEM cable. In other words, do people here still think Terry is superior, and I just got the bad luck of the draw - or am I on crack and should have gone OEM in the first place.

Zach

IronHillRestorations
Contact Terry Cable.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have never sold the Terry cables. Factory ones (german manufacture) work great as long as they are lubricated and the rear trans ground strap is WELL connected!
EdwardBlume
5 miles is an irrelevant fact, since we know you shadow race while its up on jack stands.... its a wonder the cable isn't heat welded to the tube... av-943.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 29 2009, 07:36 AM) *

5 miles is an irrelevant fact, since we know you shadow race while its up on jack stands.... its a wonder the cable isn't heat welded to the tube... av-943.gif

i was just about to order a terry cable, now i have doubts. i hate doubts, which one is better!
jimkelly
got a pic?

terry saved my ass - i got a 18 inch longer than stock on my car and it works flawlessly. you got something weird goind on?

jimbo
VaccaRabite
Not weird, per say. The black sheath around the cable is swagged into a metal nipple where the cable goes into the firewall. The sheath has cracked and broken open 1/2 the way around, just behind the nipple, and will eventually become totally broken sooner then later, leaving the cable exposed and unsupported.

Zach

McMark
I have a suspicion that when the cable is removed (for say an engine drop), you have to pull the metal nipple off the tube to keep from damaging the cable in just the fashion you mentioned.

I don't have conclusive evidence. But I have been wondering. I've seen a few cables damaged/failed in that area.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 29 2009, 08:16 AM) *

you have to pull the metal nipple off the tube to keep from damaging the cable

agree.gif
VaccaRabite
Well I called Terry Cables, and they basically said "send it back, and if we think its was bad, we will replace it."

Which means, I'm out shipping, and maybe the cost of a new cable (plus shipping back to me). If I just buy a new cable, then I out the cost of a new cable, but only one round of shipping - and I get it a lot sooner as they don't have to evaluate it.

I guess I am just going to get an OE cable, and forget Terry.

Zach
Zundfolge
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 29 2009, 10:25 AM) *

Well I called Terry Cables, and they basically said "send it back, and if we think its was bad, we will replace it."

I guess I am just going to get an OE cable, and forget Terry.

Zach

I'd order the OE cable, AND send the Terry back, if they decide they'll replace it you get a spare cable, if not you're only out a couple bucks to ship it. Otherwise you're out the cost of an entire Terry cable.
VaccaRabite
That is exactly what I am going to do.

In fact I bought an OE cable a few on my way from work to class. I'll pull the defective cable off as soon as I get the new cable on (hopefully this weekend)

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.