Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
schreiber
I need to know how to swap from my single carb to the dual Weber 40's I just picked up. I have appropriate linkage and manifolds on hand. What do I need as far as gaskets, different fuel lines, etc?
Picture of my current single carb:
Click to view attachment
jmill
You'll need 4 intake gaskets and 2 spacers to mount the manifolds to the heads. Then you'll need a fuel filter, a tee and enough fuel line to reach both carbs from the tee. You should also make sure your vent and jet sizes are correct. Are the carbs new or used?
schreiber
Thanks for the info. Are the gaskets, spacers, tee, etc things I can get from my local NAPA or Advanced Auto, or are they more specialized (Auto Atlanta, Pelican Parts, etc)? The carbs are used.
jmill
Get the good stuff at AA or PP. You'll also need gaskets from the manifold to the carb if you don't already have them. Also depending on your linkage set-up you may need 2 sets of filter base gaskets.

You can get the fuel line, tee and filter at you local auto parts store. Just stay away from the cheesy plastic stuff.
tat2dphreak
also don't forget aircooled.net and cbperformance, they usually are cheaper for the same parts. beetle crowd vs. "porsche crowd" I guess
yeahmag
Plug all those holes in the tin and surrounds while you are in there...
schreiber
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 29 2009, 04:52 PM) *

how does one go about plugging the holes in the tin?
huh.gif
Mark Henry
You can get new spark plug seals.

The low-budget ghetto fix for those holes is a tube of RTV, some beer cans and a pair of tin snips. Looks like crap but it's better than holes.
The more expensive way is to do it proper.

See the end of the " Murphy's law" thread for my opinion on the "appropriate linkage".
yeahmag
The hardware store and creativity are both your friends.
schreiber
I feel good - I was able to pick up fuel line, tee and filter locally. I'd really like to get my hands on the gaskets and risers and work on this tomorrow... If I tried looking for this stuff local, how would I best find these parts (ie, what vehicle were the Weber 40's found on originally?)
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(schreiber @ Jul 31 2009, 10:06 PM) *

I feel good - I was able to pick up fuel line, tee and filter locally. I'd really like to get my hands on the gaskets and risers and work on this tomorrow... If I tried looking for this stuff local, how would I best find these parts (ie, what vehicle were the Weber 40's found on originally?)

find a bug shop. I don't think any car came stock with weber 40s. but I could be wrong... even if they did, a local FLAPs won't have the parts.

if you are just needing gaskets you can buy gasket material, and cut them out...

aircooled.net is where I get any carb parts.

jmill
1600 Fiat and Lamborgini came with 40 IDFs. I doubt you'll find them anywhere local except at a VW speed shop. The spacers you'll most likely have to order. Check Napa for the gaskets. They may have a source. I've had them say come back in 2 hrs and the parts will be here.
rhodyguy
fyi. the "spacers" refered to are the phenolic intake gaskets for type 4s that still have fuel injection. there are 2 versions. 3 stud hole and 4 stud hole. make sure of your application. they are available from the usual suspects. Pelican, GPR, etc.

k
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(schreiber @ Jul 30 2009, 08:04 AM) *

For the small holes, aluminum heater flue tape works well.

--DD
Mark Henry
Some bug shops in your area with reviews....google is your friend.

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_all.php
fitzm1
QUOTE(schreiber @ Jul 30 2009, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 29 2009, 04:52 PM) *

huh.gif

If you want to do a neat job, seek out our British friends at Moss Motors. Measure the hole dia. and use the blanking plugs to cover empty holes. The grommets have a hole in the middle for wires.
These are for a Triumph TR3 firewall. They look great. Lots of holes in these old British cars.

From address below, fill in 'grommet' as part discription and tab where it says 'All British Cars' to Triumph TR2-4A. Then hit 'Go'

http://www.mossmotors.com/shop/searchresul...webcatalogID=11
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.