Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haynes Motor Museum (UK)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
Hey,

Thought y'alls might enjoy some pics from the Haynes Motor Museum in Sparkford in teh UK. These are the guys that publish the Haynes Manuals.

First up - the Red Room. That's my Mum looking at the seething mass of red automobiles.
Click to view attachment

Merak if I'm not mistaken.
Click to view attachment

A Briklin!! Seriously rare.
Click to view attachment

The Marcos. This might be the car that got me into cars. A friend of mine had one, which he took me for a ride in. I thought the 100 was kilometers per hour. It wasn't.
Click to view attachment

Back end of the Marcos. The seats don't move in the Marcos; the pedal box instead can be moved to accomodate drivers of different heights.
Click to view attachment

Half of a Mini.
Click to view attachment

fiid
Oh. Another boring Ford XR-something.
Click to view attachment

Wait a moment. Engine in the rear. What the F*** is that?
Click to view attachment

OMFG. It's a Type IV motor. I didn't expect that.

Front hood is partially transparent.
Click to view attachment

More details of the front engine.
Click to view attachment

Turns out this car has a cutaway engine in the front and is really powered by a Type IV in the trunk. Took 3 guys 10 weeks to put it together. It was used to film a commercial for an oil company in the UK (Duckhams).

The commercial can be seen in this Youtube video at beginning at time 1:26:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIHX2puulgM...feature=related

Not sure if this will be readable or not:
Click to view attachment

fiid
A turbo era F1 engine. This would handily fit into a 914.
Click to view attachment

Some lotuses. In a row. In Yellow.
Click to view attachment

And in the shop I found a shrinkwrapped copy of the 914 Haynes Manual (which I bought) and also this, which I very nearly bought.
Click to view attachment

I was disappointed they didn't have a 914, but I was stunned to find the duckhams car, and they did have a lot of interesting stuff to look at. Cool place; I'd recommend for anyone travelling in the UK, along with Beulieau, and couple of other places.

I'll upload the rest of the pics to Flickr later and post the URL.

Sleepin
Very cool! Thank you for sharing!
Zimms
Nice! It looked like a good trip. I like the Marcos, too.
Gustl
cool pics thumb3d.gif

thanks
JJ914GT
Good to see another Marcos GT enthousiast :-) I love these cars, here's a picture from the Goodwood Revival 2007
Click to view attachment
fiid
QUOTE(JJ914GT @ Jul 31 2009, 01:47 AM) *

Good to see another Marcos GT enthousiast :-) I love these cars, here's a picture from the Goodwood Revival 2007
Click to view attachment

Nice! I'd love to have one here in the US. Serious rare over here; never seen one. I have seen 959s, Atoms, etc, but never a Marcos.
thesey914
Dammit....you should've called me up. smile.gif

The last time I visited was in 2003...but I lived a lot closer then in Bristol. Really good museum. I'm pretty sure the son/grandson of the Haynes family is disabled and has a specially adapted 3.2 carrera that he races.

My boy Willy next to M.schumy's F1/F2 car

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.