Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grand Prix of Miami!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Did you guys see the last few laps of the race? holy guacamole!!

the wuz rubbing like the nascar boyz!!
seanery
that was crazy. good for the ratings, though blink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TimT @ Mar 7 2004, 03:33 PM)
Did you guys see the last few laps of the race? holy guacamole!!

the wuz rubbing like the nascar boyz!!

simply effin' amazing. i thought my window of opportunity to be competitive in a race car had closed, but if 'the best guys' can't drive no bettern' that, perhaps there is still hope yet.

ya gotta wonder what part of 'finish the race' did they not understand.

where's my Simpson catalog, gotta get me s'more Nomex in here ...
TimT
I kinda like when they had the "big bang" before they dove for the infield.... the in car cam was amazing...they had contact at like 180, and the guy just shook his head a bit.. now thats keeping your cool
J P Stein
I was mildly interested in NASCAR soprt cars till I found out that the dickweeds added 250lbs to the Porsche GTs & make em' run on spec (shit) rubber....all to make sure them UGLY mo fo "prototypes" barf.gif would win.

At Daytona, one of the "vintage" prototypes ran a lap 9 sec quicker that any of the "new improved" turds.(insert steamer smiley here)

The stands were empty once again......
TimT
Yeap they castrated the GT class..... GT3 RSR would run away from the prototypes... so which racing series has the recipe right?

nascar.. huge fan base good drivers... fast cars...

The Daytona prototype was meant to bring in more wheel to wheel racing ( and they did!!) but nobody saw it.. yes the stands were empty..
J P Stein
Well, Tim, I know what they are trying to do.

Maybe someone should tell them that BILLIONS of folks watch the F1 parades......wheel to wheel is limited there.

Road racin' appeal to a different culture, me thinks......nuthin' wrong with NASCAR.....it muct be awsome to stand next to the fence at Daytona when the pack comes by and those Winsto.....er...Nextel cars are a hoot to watch on a road course.

Bring back Can Am !!
URY914
So which cars did the banging?
And who won?
boxstr
NASCAR has put out feelers to the Pacific Northwest to fill the void that they feel exists here with no NASCAR.
I think they should just let them loose at PIR or SIP, screw the roundy round tracks. If the fans are here they will go, but the drivers don't want anymore road circuits then the two that they already run.
I can just see it now, they show up to race and it rains, hey that is what keeps it so green, they don't know what rains tires are.
CCLINGOODOLBOY
J P Stein
I keep hearing rumblings about a NASCAR track near Boardman.......lovely spot. Close to the WMD incinerator at Umitilla....
Also, a road race track near Goldendale, WA.....that IS a nice spot.
maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 7 2004, 05:40 PM)
So which cars did the banging?
And who won?

Jan Magnassun in the Lista Doran and Max Papis in the Ganassi Riley got into a pissing contest while going for first place. The result let Andy Wallace in the Boss Crawford take the win. Pretty close racing for the pseudo-sports prototype DSP's.

Grand Am has really castrated the GT classes to let the DSP's win. Last year, the first year of the DSP class, the GTS cars were actually faster than than the DSP's but Grand Am always lined up the DSP's first on the grid. After Racers Group won the 24 Hrs with a GT Porsche, Grand Am reduced the fuel capacities of the GTS and GT cars, which meant additional fuel stops, to keep them behind the DSP's. This year they combined the GTS and GT classes and by strangling and weighing them down finally made the DSP's faster!

I went to the season sprint finale at Daytona last year where a GTS Corvette led until forced to pit for fuel in the closing stage of the race. In the post race interview the driver commented that their fuel tank was "the size of a Pepsi can"! I thought it was funny, but apparently Grand Am had words with him for that bit of honesty. laugh.gif

Of course this year Grand Am red-flagged the 24 Hrs just to assure a DSP victory. At least that's what some people think... wink.gif

Mike
p914
I think they should tear down the horse track in Portland and incorporate the old NASCAR track site along with the corner lot business that sells windows and turn the whole site into a NASCAR track by Delta Park.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.