Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BBS Wheel Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Seems from checking eBay that these 1990 BBS RS wheels have value to them. If I want to restore them correctly, BBS is suggesting I disassemble them,have the paint done, and they will reseal and reassemble them for $75 each...another $18@ for new logos, shipping, etc. Looks like $500-600 to freshen these guys up. I'd like some feedback as to whether they are simply outdated. what the weight issues are with them, how "collectible" they are, etc.I realize the "looks" part of the question is very subjective, but please...chime in anyway; I don't get hurt by people slamming a wheel I never picked out anyway.
Joe Bob
Sell them as-is.....you'll never get anything out of them after re doing them....
kenshapiro2002
If I refurbished them it would be to keep them. I guess my question is, "Are they worth redoing or should I consider another wheel?" Again, I know the looks part is subjective, but chime in...should I spend $500-600 redoing these guys or look to buy something else?

QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 30 2009, 12:21 PM) *

Sell them as-is.....you'll never get anything out of them after re doing them....

carr914
If all you are going to do is change the color of the mesh part of the wheel, do them yourself. Don't dis-assemble - De-grease & Pressure wash them, tape off the barrels, prime with a self-etching primer and paint them the color you want.

T.C.
orange914
how much do they weigh?
kenshapiro2002
No idea, but they are not BBS "race" wheels.
Ken

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 30 2009, 02:20 PM) *

how much do they weigh?

FourBlades
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 30 2009, 10:20 AM) *

If all you are going to do is change the color of the mesh part of the wheel, do them yourself. Don't dis-assemble - De-grease & Pressure wash them, tape off the barrels, prime with a self-etching primer and paint them the color you want.

T.C.

agree.gif

It is not that hard to do it and it will cost you $20 in paint and supplies.

John
kenshapiro2002
Thanks for the guidance guys...I'm always quick to do it "right" ($$$) when I can do it 99% right for a lot less. smile.gif
Ken

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 30 2009, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 30 2009, 10:20 AM) *

T.C.

agree.gif

It is not that hard to do it and it will cost you $20 in paint and supplies.

John

helios
I would love to find a set of those wheels. They are actually quite sought after in the VW community (in the proper bolt pattern & offset). If you were thinking of gold centers (or just redoing the silver for that matter), Wurth makes wheel paint that matches BBS gold and silvers (yes there is more than one silver). It costs a little bit more than your corner auto store, but the paint has a harder finish than standard paint, resists brake dust better and matches original colors.

The gold is currently out of stock (awaiting a new run), though silver was still available last time I looked.
Racer
What size are they? 15"? 16"? What about widths?

Replacing them with 15-16 in fuchs would be at least $700-1200-1500 depending on the size Fuch you want

boxster/996 style 17" wheels can be had for about $500-600 set plus tires, mount and balance.. plus maybe another $200 for adaptors to make them fit.

The flares and 5-bolts (I assume 5-bolt) give you a lot of options when it comes to wheels. The mesh wheels are a bit retro which i think work on the 914.. more period correct than say, boxster wheels, imho.

Fuchs look the best but in the end, perhaps available tire size should dictate this. More and more 15 and 16" tires, especially sporty ones, come in more and more limited sizes. 17"s and 18"s offer the most selection. imho, 18"s are a bit big ona 914 but 17"s can still work (visually).
kenshapiro2002
Tell me about Wurth. Is the paint in a rattle can?
Ken

QUOTE(helios @ Jul 30 2009, 06:33 PM) *

I would love to find a set of those wheels. They are actually quite sought after in the VW community (in the proper bolt pattern & offset). If you were thinking of gold centers (or just redoing the silver for that matter), Wurth makes wheel paint that matches BBS gold and silvers (yes there is more than one silver). It costs a little bit more than your corner auto store, but the paint has a harder finish than standard paint, resists brake dust better and matches original colors.

The gold is currently out of stock (awaiting a new run), though silver was still available last time I looked.

kenshapiro2002
16x7 front, 16x8 rear.
Ken

QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 30 2009, 10:22 PM) *

What size are they? 15"? 16"? What about widths?

Replacing them with 15-16 in fuchs would be at least $700-1200-1500 depending on the size Fuch you want

boxster/996 style 17" wheels can be had for about $500-600 set plus tires, mount and balance.. plus maybe another $200 for adaptors to make them fit.

The flares and 5-bolts (I assume 5-bolt) give you a lot of options when it comes to wheels. The mesh wheels are a bit retro which i think work on the 914.. more period correct than say, boxster wheels, imho.

Fuchs look the best but in the end, perhaps available tire size should dictate this. More and more 15 and 16" tires, especially sporty ones, come in more and more limited sizes. 17"s and 18"s offer the most selection. imho, 18"s are a bit big ona 914 but 17"s can still work (visually).

helios
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 30 2009, 07:34 PM) *

Ken

Yes, it is rattle can.

Here is a little blurb from a vendor about the paint.
Wurth Wheel Paint @ Autogeek.com

Here is a Pelican Tech Article on wheel refinishing
Pelican Tech Article

Here is another supplier w/ the BBS shades.
Wurth Paint @ HRP World

I'm going to be refinishing a set of 15" RMs this winter (probably) w/ body colored centers and 1.5" outer lips for my GLi. This will take the wheels from the stock 15 x 6.5" out to 15 x 7.5". RMs look the same as RSes, except they are only 2 piece wheels compared to the 3 piece RS.
kenshapiro2002
What a mensch...thanks!
Ken

QUOTE(helios @ Jul 31 2009, 04:52 AM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 30 2009, 07:34 PM) *

Ken

Yes, it is rattle can.

Here is a little blurb from a vendor about the paint.
Wurth Wheel Paint @ Autogeek.com

Here is a Pelican Tech Article on wheel refinishing
Pelican Tech Article

Here is another supplier w/ the BBS shades.
Wurth Paint @ HRP World

I'm going to be refinishing a set of 15" RMs this winter (probably) w/ body colored centers and 1.5" outer lips for my GLi. This will take the wheels from the stock 15 x 6.5" out to 15 x 7.5". RMs look the same as RSes, except they are only 2 piece wheels compared to the 3 piece RS.

carr914
Here is a thread I created Painting Fuchs, but you will get the point.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=89216&hl=

and a wheel thread I did

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=91551&hl=

T.C.
kenshapiro2002
Helpful. Thanks,
Ken
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 31 2009, 09:51 AM) *

Here is a thread I created Painting Fuchs, but you will get the point.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=89216&hl=

and a wheel thread I did

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=91551&hl=

T.C.

helios
If you feel like separating the wheels yourself when it comes to paint time, here are a couple FAQ threads from the VW forum.....

BBS RS Refinishing FAQ Thread (VW Vortex)

BBS RM Refinishing FAQ Thread (VW Vortex)
pete-stevers
neat set of wheels there is a set on pelican for 650 for a set of 9-8s ten footers
i hear you can get 17 inch barrels for them
i would love to get my hands on sum
but i am saving for something else.... biggrin.gif
kenshapiro2002
Thanks!

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 31 2009, 02:36 PM) *

neat set of wheels there is a set on pelican for 650 for a set of 9-8s ten footers
i hear you can get 17 inch barrels for them
i would love to get my hands on sum
but i am saving for something else.... biggrin.gif

ghuff
Black forest industries sells the parts you need.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsea...fiproducts.html

Search bbs on their site, oem bolts, lips, center caps, aftermarket funky spiked bolts, anything you can imagine.

Reasonably priced as well.

The only way up is schmidt lips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5bw-C6NSrg

These guys had a video of their RS lips going through the same stuff and driving up curbs with no damage. They make good stuff that is indestructible. Baltimore roads I think would have a rough time with these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.