Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not a lot of track time but the test day was a success
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ChrisFoley
Lime Rock PCA DE

Long story short:
Session one - engine works, suspension works, minor tuning issues.
Session two - oil gets too hot but cylinder head temps ok, and one egt still high.
Session three - old battery dead! Spent the session parked in the uphill chicane.
Session four - Spare battery installed, session missed due to not fixing the other operating problems I wasn't looking for while focused on less important things. But by the time all cars were off track I had them corrected and the engine sounds perfect again. smile.gif

Peak rpms so far 7200 in 4th (Q) gear, 7000 in 5th (V). NO signs of valve float yet. This thing screams and pulls hard! I was driving the whole track in 4th and 5th gears without ever having a shortage of torque.
Tomorrow, SCCA National Race - annual tech and two qualifying sessions. driving.gif
championgt1
Nice! Go get'em. burnout.gif smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
Chris, i wish you the best of luck....
auerbach
Congrsts Chris and best of luck.
Chris Pincetich
Sweet! Lookin forward to seeing pics of the finished car, hopefully waving that checkered flag out the window beerchug.gif
I was reading on another site about the horizontal fan replacement saving 22lbs and gaining 10% HP over stock...very interesting. I wonder about using this on a street / AX motor that runs cool with a stock cam, possibly too risky? Keep us posted beerchug.gif
turboman808
Kick some ass. Love to see a 914 win nationals piratenanner.gif
ChrisFoley
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys!

Qualifying was perfect for a full cockpit 914 - rain. My car's handling was excellent. A little understeer on corner entry with light throttle, neutral with half throttle and slight oversteer at full throttle just after the apex.

The afternoon session was in torrential rain and almost no one went out. I did one lap and came in - the visibility totally sucked and there were ponds on course in various locations! The morning times (in light to moderate rain) set the grid with a Nationally competetive FP Elva Courier on Pole and yours truly next to him on the front row. This is what we showed the other 25 drivers bootyshake.gif , including 6 other FP cars and 8 EP cars. Funny thing, the two slowest qualifiers drove only half my average speed on their best lap.

I kind of doubt I'll be able to hold down 2nd when the green waves around 10am tomorrow. The EP lap record holder is lined up directly behind me in his Caterham 7. It should be interesting. driving.gif
r_towle
good luck...pray for drizzle...

Rich
Heeltoe914
popcorn[1].gif with fingers crossed.
update???
rick 918-S
Update? aktion035.gif driving.gif
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif confused24.gif
ChrisFoley
driving.gif
icon_bump.gif
smash.gif
icon8.gif
sawzall-smiley.gif
welder.gif
ChrisFoley
I crashed on the last lap.
The car is fixable - a lot of work though.
I have some bruises but nothing broken.
ChrisFoley
There will be in-car video and you will feel my pain.
sad.gif
Jake Raby
Man, that car must be possessed.. How many crashes in a row does that make!!??
Glad you are OK, sorry to hear all that work you just finished is down the drain.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

Man, you just got it back up too!

Hope it not too roughed up, and that you are not too sore tomorrow.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 1 2009, 10:01 PM) *

IPB Image

Man, you just got it back up too!

Hope it not too roughed up, and that you are not too sore tomorrow.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif dry.gif sad.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 2 2009, 12:44 AM) *

Man, that car must be possessed..

The car has been wrecked by me driving off track only three times since I started racing it 15 years ago. This incident was the hardest hit from the driver's perspective, but actually the least physical damage to the car. And there was the '05 runoffs where things didn't go so well, but that was almost entirely due to one asshole in a Miata. Funny thing, I was told that miata was in my race yesterday. I never saw it. New owner and new paint job.

I've logged nearly 10,000 miles at Lime Rock in that car. It has served me well. This is racing and shit happens quickly. I don't feel especially bad about any of my frightening experiences with this car over the years. I have 3 national wins and numerous regional wins, with 3 regional championships to my credit. I've been on pole and led races overall, not just in class, so I have no regrets at all.

Its all fun! Remember, the last time I drove my car at LRP was exactly 4 years ago in the same event, and I won the race. smilie_pokal.gif

I could engage in a lot of hypotheticals as to what I should have or could have done differently but this is what actually happened:

Wet qualifying went great for me on Friday. The car was working well, with only minor issues to be worked out over time. It was nice being on the front row but I knew at the start of the race I would lose a few positions quickly. I don't have a National motor in the car and only have 4year old tires to play with until the budget allows the purchase of a new set.

I lost 2 spots on the first lap. On the second lap I was being hounded by a black Miata and it was only a matter of a few more coners, maybe a lap, before he got by. I think I may have been overdriving the tires when I entered West Bend and had to go agricultural at the exit. It's a near miracle I didn't have a serious wreck there as the grass was soaking wet everywhere off track, and its only one lane wide between the track and the Armco. Somehow I managed to get back on the pavement at the bottom of the hill. The Miata driver had backed off in a heads up move to avoid me collecting him so I was in front of him on the front straight until the engine sputtered and I slowed. I parked on No Name Straight and the race went Full Course Yellow until a wrecker towed me to a safe place around the corner.

I didn't notice that my fuel pressure gauge had a big clue to why the engine died until after I spent a few minutes looking for something loose in/under the engine compartment, as I had driven over some big curbing to get back on track. Once I started looking in the right places I found the power lead (spade lug) had come off the fuel pump switch on the dash. With that re-connected I strapped back in and asked the workers if I could start racing again, and got back on track. The race was about halfway over but I figured I could score a finish if I got to the checker and completed 15 laps.

I took it easy at first, letting the leaders go by and feeling out the car. I had a bad vibration in the right front at some speeds that really shook the steering wheel, but the engine, handling and braking felt ok. I gradually built up my speed to a near race pace and actually passed some slower cars.

An EP Austin Healey dumped oil on the uphill a couple laps after I resumed, and he parked the car in the grass on driver's right - halfway to West Bend. A debris flag was shown for several laps for the oil, and I had no trouble driving around it.
The black Miata went off at the entrance to Big Bend and was nosed into the tire wall, which brought out a local yellow for a few laps.

On the last lap (I didn't know that at the time) I entered the uphill a little faster than before and my line took me out to the edge at the top of the hill. I've never liked driving that far to the left there, as the car gets light and tends to rotate when the rear wheels lose traction momentarily while the car still has a little sideways momentum. The track has an odd crown right there and it takes some getting used to. The track had some major work before last season started and a number of areas on the track look and feel different. Especially the apex curbs. They are higher and steeper where they meet the road and I found that it was best to avoid them completely, which affected my driving line here and there. I still have a few more things to learn about the subtle changes that affect the fast way around the track.

Anyway, the car rotated when I caught a little air at the top of the hill, and I couldn't aim the car back down the road quickly enough. I left the track on a slight angle to the right, bouncing over a concrete curb that upset the car just a little as I drove onto the wet grass. I was mostly worried about avoiding the Armco barrier 20 ft away from the road, but there was a lot of water and I didn't have much hope of controlling the car. It turned sideways - spun clockwise 90 degrees and I scraped the Armco lightly with the right front corner of the bumper.

But that would have been ok... except for the parked car another 50 ft ahead of me. Before the car turned sideways, I actually thought there was a narrow window of opportunity to drive between the Armco and the Healey, but that didn't happen. Instead I slammed my driver's side into the back of the other car at 50 mph or faster. The impact was centered on my rear door jamb and his right taillight.

I briefly saw stars as the car came to rest, lots of little ones flying around in front of me. The Healey was in the road and I came to rest backwards just off track, with 2 inch deep water outside my door. I checked my vital signs as I calmed down and waited for rescue workers to arrive. I was very shaky but my breathing and pulse settled quickly. All I could think about was the Healey owner standing on the berm watching me hit his car in a freak accident after it sat there for 12 laps.

We were both transported to the infield medical center but he didn't need to be there as he wasn't in his car, although he may have been in as much shock as I was. My BP was something like 147 over 78 and pulse around 120 when the medics measured it less than 10 minutes after the crash. I was fully coherent with only slight neck soreness, and they released me into Mary's care after all the paperwork was in order. I got out of my drivers suit and went to the tech area to view the carnage. blink.gif

A significant amount of damage was done by the wrecker operators who used my rear tow loop to lift the car and drag it backwards. Its not a fucking lift hook for christs sake! I think I need to redesign that so it is way off center and can't be used for that purpose. It was only designed for pulling, not lifting. I suppose they figure I have to fix a lot of sheet metal and fiberglass anyway, what difference is a little more. confused24.gif
The front deck lid and right door are undamaged. The rear deck lid has minor damage from the wrecker. The left front turn signal bucket is collapsed, which also pulled the back half of that fender out of position slightly. I think the right front fender is repairable, but it was rubbing the tire. The right rear, where I just got finished making major repairs was pushed back into the tire just like before. The new stiffening bar is bent, so it must have helped absorb some of the secondary impact with the Armco that occurred after bouncing off the Austin Healey. The rear panel is bent out of shape from the wrecker lifting the car.
The worst damage is the left quarter panel. It and the door jamb will need to be replaced completely, along with the driver door.

The fiberglass rear bumper is trashed and the C/F nose has a lot of cracks. It may be repairable but I don't know how to work with that stuff yet. There is minor suspension damage, but no bent mounting points as far as I can tell. The roll cage is intact and the engine runs. Genaro, my employee, showed up at the track and was very helpful getting the car ready to take home. We cut a little sheet metal off at the right rear corner, pulled a couple of rubbing fenders and I was able to drive the car back to the paddock and onto the trailer.

I'll be sore for a few days. Both shoulders are bruised at the base of my neck from my harnesses, and my neck is a bit stiff this morning. I haven't noticed any other injuries. We went out for Mexican food after getting home and a pitcher of Margaritas helped immensely. drunk.gif

It was really nice being back at Lime Rock after a long hiatus, and enjoyed socializing with many old racing friends. grouphug.gif The car will be fixed and we will return better than before. burnout.gif
rick 918-S
Hey Pete, I smell a great story for Excellence unfolding here. idea.gif Regardless of the outcome of the day Chris, you have a victorious spirit and a great history building story.
byndbad914
man, sorry to hear about this! I have to admit, when I broke my car on Friday I drove it off track (which probably hurt the new LSD) because I have seen this more than once - a guy is on the side after breaking/car dying/something and another guy loses it and nails that car, putting both drivers and their property at risk. IMO this is just amateur stuff and they really should clear the track of "failed" cars so things like this cannot happen - a couple laps of caution to tow a stalled car are not that big of a deal IMHO. Sure, you may have hit the wall/barrier/? but at least you would not have taken out another car, potentially the driver (many tracks will tell you to stay in the car, strapped in, helmet/gear on) and had that not been there, you may be in no where near the shape you are today, and certainly not the other guy's car.

Again, sorry to hear about the maiden voyage being so bad! but just interested in your thoughts on whether the other guy should have been left there or if you would prefer they had thrown a caution 12 laps prior and gotten him out of there??
ChrisFoley
I was told by the Austin Healey owner that the chief steward apologized to him for leaving the car there.
He said he asked the station 8 corner workers about the location and was told it was in a safe place.
He didn't trust that so he radioed the station 9 workers who told him the same thing.

I watched my in-car video this morning. The car was pretty far down track from the top of the hill where I lost control so I can see why someone might consider it safe.
Another driver told me that most cars hit the wall on drivers right when they lose control in the manner that happened to me.
He also suggested that I need to develop a strategy for using that portion of the track as it is slightly faster.
I don't see how, on slicks this could be so, because one only tracks out there if an early apex is taken or one is avoiding something (like gear oil) in the middle of the hill.
My car only rotated enough to send me across the curbing but not into the wall.
As this was unfolding I thought I had a way to sneak through unscathed but at the moment my right front tire hit a deep puddle in the grass the car turned hard right and I became a passenger.

To answer your question, yes I do think it would have been a good idea to move the car but I didn't think about it at all during the race.
I have seen cars parked there before. At most 2 laps of FC yellow would have been required.
There is a much safer parking zone downtrack to drivers left, outside the next corner only a couple hundred feet away, and the wrecker that moved me earlier was left parked at the base of the uphill turn, quite close by.
Due to the lack of runoff area in this part of the track it would be best to insist on moving a disabled car to full safety.
turboman808
What shit luck right after ya got it back on the track.
r_towle
Im glad you are ok..it could have been much worse.
See a Doctor if you feel anything odd....please.

The car...well, that just sucks.

Rich
ChrisFoley
I'm fine Rich, just a tender spot on top of my left shoulder and a couple of sore muscles.
WRT the car, everytime I have to fix it, something gets improved. smile.gif
tomeric914
Glad to hear you're ok Chris.

I was at WG this weekend in similar conditions. Seemed to be at least one person off the track in each group on Friday, then it dried out on Saturday. The big difference at WG is the course goes full black if anyone is off and they tow in the car. Of course, there aren't many areas to go off anyways, but that's besides the point! blink.gif

Lots of compliments on the cage. Thanks for your handiwork!
VaccaRabite
A friend of mine is an EMT for/with Lime Rock. I sent her a note to see if she saw the wreck, though I have not heard back yet. Hell, if you dealt with a feisty irish EMT chick, you probably got to meet her.

Zach
ChrisFoley
She wouldn't have seen the wreck but I may have spoken with her in the medical center. More than likely if she was there Saturday, she responded to the worse crash in race 5. An ambulance was called out to the scene on course. I merely had a ride in the safety car.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 2 2009, 02:34 PM) *

I was told by the Austin Healey owner that the chief steward apologized to him for leaving the car there.
He said he asked the station 8 corner workers about the location and was told it was in a safe place.
He didn't trust that so he radioed the station 9 workers who told him the same thing.

IMHO, there is no safe place on a race track - I may only be in my late 30s but have been running track events from W2W to TTs for 18yrs now on top of crewing for others and can say I have been shocked at where some cars have ended up over the years after incidents. It is why I drove a wounded car off and maybe even hurt it more just to save the possibility of getting hit off track waiting for the end of a session to tow me in.

Still good to hear you were both okay - man, had the other guy been just getting out of that car when that happened he could be a dead man (and why some tracks will reprimand you for getting out of your car). Stay strapped in maybe whiplash. It didn't happen this time, yeah, but I really believe all down cars should be removed in amateur racing - I get why they are left out in pro racing as there is real $$ on the line and people in front don't want to be bunched up again, they want their lead, but in amateur racing it just isn't as important. Two laps FC caution would be nothing when you look at the aftermath now. Those side hits are the WORST as HANS devices can't really help much, etc and they just jar the crap out of you, as you very well know biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
Here's the first two laps of the race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSnvBCadcs
rick 918-S
Cool vid, where's the big wreck? (pacing smiley)
Krieger
Dang Chris I'm glad your okay!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Aug 3 2009, 07:26 PM) *

Dang Chris I'm glad your okay!

agree.gif sad.gif Sorry to hear about your car... again. At least you're safe and you know how to repair it. Maybe you'll come up with more trick stuff for us to buy beerchug.gif blink.gif .
ChrisFoley
Here's the big crash scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3r5tV9q4Jw
PeeGreen 914
Ouch... my back hurts just seeing that blink.gif
rick 918-S
double ouch! wacko.gif I now know I will never be able to race after seeing that. dry.gif I don't have the physical ability to take that hit. sad.gif Too many operations, pins and rods already. How are you feeling today Chris? unsure.gif
ChrisFoley
I feel fine.
Started cutting off the bent sheetmetal tonight.
Krieger
Chris thank you for posting your analysis and the video. We can all learn from this. As a private pilot some of my favorite reading are reviews of aviation accidents. AOPA has a section entitled "never again" and I think its Flying magazine "I learned from that". In aviation they say complacency kills. Perhaps we need to start a new forum or subform to log this and other info for future review to remind us how easy it is to have a problem at high speeds. The subtleness of this event is captured both in the video and Chris's description. I know this is racing and I'm not picking on Chris, but what if he was in a different part of the track as he suggested, or a different speed? But then there was the water that pulled him right and last but not least the other car that was in just the wrong spot? As with aviation accidents its a combonation of factors. This thread is unique and just as valuable as any classics thread.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Aug 4 2009, 12:06 AM) *

As with aviation accidents its a combonation of factors.

Yes, lose any one of the components and the outcome is completely different.
Not the least of the factors was my confidence. It got me through the first off but not the second.
HAM Inc
Ouch! That was harsh, Chris! It was stupid of them to leave a car there, and it was stupid of them to leave the oil that it put down as it pulled off.

It looks to me like you might have been able to keep it on the tarmac if they'd cleaned up the oil. Once your momentum carried you over to that area of the track it seemed to ensure that you would slide off.

Considering how limited the runoff area is at LRP they should have standing orders to pull cars off in just about every area, that one included!

Glad you're okay.
chocolate.curry
Wow! Glad you're ok Chris... that looked like quite a hit. It actually looked like you has some control as you were going off - crazy that a puddle of water AND an Austin Healey just happened to be there!! As for your car, I'm sure with your skills I'm sure you will be able to fix things up in no time.
byndbad914
gotta admit, after seeing the vid is plays into exactly why I say there is never a safe spot on the track - because the environment is always changing such as everyone noting the significant effect of the standing water. 99% of the time that is probably a reasonably safe area to park, and had the water not been there to catch and essentially stop the right front tire, I would bet my money that you would have continued to straighten out as you essentially did and pull back on track before getting to the other car.

I think the key is to never assume the track is a safe place smile.gif And yeah, that was a tough hit.
lotus_65
that's bad racing luck, man. really glad your ok!

gl on the rebuild -
Chris Pincetich
Wow, finally had time to watch the vids
That first off was way scary being near the concrete bridge
The second, whoooaaa, also scary heading towards the rail.
So glad to hear your spirits are up and you are working towards the next race beerchug.gif
Thanks for reminding me why I love AX racin, and wheel to wheel at the indoor cart tracks, it is the perfect thrill to risk factor for me now. biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
...having just crashed the 10Jereen at Fontana, I want to see the carnage shots. got any pics of the gore? looks like you became a passenger just over the crest
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 4 2009, 08:28 PM) *

Wow, finally had time to watch the vids
That first off was way scary being near the concrete bridge
The second, whoooaaa, also scary heading towards the rail.

Yeah, the first one had me really scared right up until I got the right wheels back on the road.
The second one - I was busy working, both physically and mentally, right up until the car turned right in the water, then I knew exactly what was coming and I just relaxed. It took longer to make contact than I expected which means the car slowed more and I took less of a hit than I anticipated. I still saw stars momentarily.

I have some pics but I haven't had time to reduce them for posting.
auerbach
Chris-- if it will make you feel better, I'll sue somebody. I really don't care who as long as it makes you feel better. You've kept me rivited for the past half hour reading the post and watching the videos. I'm just glad that you're around to share the experience with us. If I can do anything, just ask.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(auerbach @ Aug 4 2009, 11:54 PM) *

Chris-- if it will make you feel better, I'll sue somebody. I really don't care who as long as it makes you feel better.

biggrin.gif
You can sue the tow truck operators who added damage to my car by the way they mishandled it on the tow back into the pits, lol. Two women who didn't have a clue, and used my tow hook to lift the back end of the car off the ground and drag the front. My in-car camera caught the whole fiasco. chair.gif
Richard Casto
Glad your OK, sorry about the car. sad.gif

After watching the video it's pretty clear they shouldn't have left the Healey there. If it had been towed it would have probably just been a scary off with minor damage.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:28 PM) *

I want to see the carnage shots. got any pics of the gore?

I finally got around to downloading the pics from my camera. I forgot to take any post crash photos at the track so I got some at the shop.

Before:
Click to view attachment

After:
Click to view attachment
We trimmed the fender where it was against the tire so I could move the car.
Click to view attachment
auerbach
Ed should be finished with the repairs by Friday. :-). At least you're safe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.