Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laquer Thinner vs. Virgin Laquer Thinner?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
I had a small can of the virgin laquer thinner laying around so thought I would use it to remove the backpad glue in the engine compartment. It blew right through the glue...then through the paint...finally stopping at the primer coat.

Is there a difference between virgin and regular?

I just wanted to remove the glue from the firewall, the old paint *was* in good condition.
URY914
I thought up about five different replys to your "virgin" question but I better not.

So I'll just give you what I know. I actally never heard of virgin LT but I've used a cleaner call "Goo Be Gone" (or something like that) that works good. Also carb cleaner or brake cleaner. But don't let them sit for long as they will attack the paint. Wipe on-wipe off.

Paul
TheCabinetmaker
There are diferent grades of lacquer thinner. It depends on the rate of evaporation. Faster evaporation will "cut" less. Slower will cut more. A 500 grade thinner is cheaper and better for cleaning purposes, Higher grades are used for high quaility paints. "Virgin" usually means very highly refined(as in "extra virgin olive oil" and will evaporate slower, therefore, removing more unwanted material. I will now give way to the real experts who are old time painters.

Paul, I use a product called Goo Gone. Wonderful stuff!
Qarl
Thin virgin licker? What!?!?

Oh.. Virgin Lacquer thinner... never heard of it, sorry!

Since URY914 obstained... I had to speak up!
Bleyseng
I used Xylol to remove the glue IIRC. Goof Off is the same stuff. Or cheapie laquer thinner works.
Took alittle of the paint off but not much and then I sanded it with 320 grit then some 600.
Geoff
Joe Bob
Virgin LT is stuff that is band new and shiny...with the new smog laws ALL shops recycle the paint and wash thinners and "stuff" in solvent stills. After a while the stilled out "stuff" that comes out of the still is so thick and nasty it is hauled off as waste itself.
rezron
Laquer thinner, whether virgin or cleaning thinner for
guns will attack your paint if left wet long enough.
Try some enamal reducer- it's not as "hot" as the
LT on your paint. It might take some more time and
effort as it's not as aggresive.

rezron
RustyWa
Thanks for the tips!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.