Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mary Shortridge
I have my brother's 1973 1.7 Porsche. Lee was killed in a car accident in December, and my dad and I are having "Buttercup" restored in his honor, as Lee had dreamed of doing. I have several of his friends advising me, but no one has "914" experience. I have a MILLION questions, and would really appreciate any advice and help.
I want to make sound decisions on what to replace while we have the car torn apart, but after browsing the price of parts, I know I am rapidly blowing my budget.
I know I need an engine; where's a good place to buy one? GEX? I live in southwest Kansas, but have access to a trucker to bring it home.
I may need to replace the heater's muffler that is located in the rocker panel because of mice. Isn't there something I could substitute?
There are two holes in the "sail" area that appear to be filled. Was there an emblem there? I haven't found any photos of 914s with such.
I need misc. body parts... any suggestions besides ebay? Any junkyards known for such stuff?
THANKS A MILLION for any help! ~Mary
Click to view attachment
MDG
The classifieds on this site are an excellent place to look for parts; practically everything - including engines - come up.

No emblems on the sails; there are small holes along the bottom of the sail panels where the trim piece clips in. Anything else would not be original - or they are rust holes that have been filled.

Good luck with your build; it's a great thing you and your dad are doing. Keep posting here - there's ton's of help to be had.

The frame bracing is a good idea with the car up on stands like that - however the jackstands up front look very over extended; CAREFUL

I have a '73 2.0 so if you need any reference pics when it comes time to reassemble just ask.

m.

oh, and welcome.png
silverteener
Wow,

sorry to hear about your brother. Looks like a lot of work ahead of you but you came to the right place. Hopefully you can find a member close to you for some help. The guys here are very helpful.. Give them some time you'll have more advice than you will know what to do with.. Good luck.. welcome.png
Cupomeat
PM Sent to discuss the parameters of the rebuild and I'll try to help as possible.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 31 2009, 04:33 PM) *
I have my brother's 1973 1.7 Porsche. Lee was killed in a car accident in December, and my dad and I are having "Buttercup" restored in his honor, as Lee had dreamed of doing. I have several of his friends advising me, but no one has "914" experience. I have a MILLION questions, and would really appreciate any advice and help.
I want to make sound decisions on what to replace while we have the car torn apart, but after browsing the price of parts, I know I am rapidly blowing my budget.
I know I need an engine; where's a good place to buy one? GEX? I live in southwest Kansas, but have access to a trucker to bring it home.
I may need to replace the heater's muffler that is located in the rocker panel because of mice. Isn't there something I could substitute?
There are two holes in the "sail" area that appear to be filled. Was there an emblem there? I haven't found any photos of 914s with such.
I need misc. body parts... any suggestions besides ebay? Any junkyards known for such stuff?

Sorry about your brother and I wish you luck with this project. You will find this group helpful. Please use the search section. You will be amazed at the answers you can find without waiting for a reply. I am sure that if you search for GEX (for example) you will not hear a lot of positive comments.

The muffler your are referring to is a part of the heater system (in case you didn't know). Replacing this will be difficult. It is a tube with fiberglass insulation around it. It's purpose is to lessen engine sounds coming through the heater vents.
tat2dphreak
welcome.png

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

you are not the first nor the last to come here without experience.. don't heistate to ask questions, but don't neglect the search either... the classic threads are a GREAT place to look, too.

we will do everything we can to help, just provide beer for those "on-site" shades.gif

have fun, and enjoy. you can do it. we can help. aktion035.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 31 2009, 04:33 PM) *

Mary,

My condolenses...

I am right down the road a piece in Wichita - I have 3 914's (one actually is licensed and driveable) and parts. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything.

GEX is tempting becuase we are so close - but let's pursue other options.

Mike Moorman
914@cox.net

Mary Shortridge
I have been so excited about this project, and now 914world members have taken it to a whole new level! Thank you SO MUCH for all your helpful comments. My brain is fried right now, with all the info I am soaking up. But boy, am I pumped! I'll keep you all posted on progress, and be picking your brains lots more!
VaccaRabite
welcome.png

I'd like to echo my condolences for your brother. Was he a member here?

Are you trying for a stock restoration, or are you trying for a resto-mod (changing bits of the car to suit your wants and needs, but which may not be stock).

Zach
Mary Shortridge
My main goal is to have a dependable driver. I want to make everything as good as possible while the car is being worked on. I had planned on replacing stuff like rubber seals, but after the heart attack on prices, I am now planning on a lot of sweat equity to spruce as much original stuff up as I can. I know you can polish plexiglass aircraft windshields, so I am going to try my hand at Porsche lenses. I am paying a bodyshop for most of the work, but want to do any little things myself that I can. My brother was not a member; he had just started enjoying the internet recently. He was an amazing craftsman with wood, and was a backyard mechanic all his life. Thanks for your interest!
MDG
There is a member named Mark on this board; he makes and sells many/most of the rubber seals; look in the member vendor section - he goes by Mikey914. Very good stuff at a fraction of the price. From the look of the car in that photo it appears relatively clean as far as rust goes. Some of your seals may be salvageable - if you have cracked and split ones you should really replace them to make sure the water stays on the outside.

m.
A&PGirl
welcome.png

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

Do you have any of the engine left (like cases, heads, jugs 'n' barrels...?) or misc. engine related parts? This really your starting point to determine what you want to do. I suggest a Raby kit or if you have a core put a Raby valvetrain kit in. In addition, you should probably have your heads rebuilt by HAM. Both Raby & HAM are topnotch guys.

Some of the metal can be obtained from Restoration Design and Auto Atlanta. Some can even be obtained from Porsche for the right price. laugh.gif

Mikey914 is your guy for the seals, bumper tops and shift knobs.

You can get a lot of stuff from hwgunner & markb in California too. They set me up pretty good with the parts I needed.

The brake rear brake calipers can be rebuilt by Eric Shea (member) who does a darn good job.

Dr. Evil can whip your transmission into shape for a decent price.

You can probably restore the interior by yourself which would save you a lot of change in that department.

Feel free to ask around for parts. Many of us have more then we need in the garage, the back porch, the sheds, the storage units, mother's sewing room...

jimkelly
you need to see this.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

all the best

jim
FourBlades
I have to second the idea of buying parts used from other members and from the
vendors who are members here. You can get literally any part from people
on here and it is way cheaper than buying new. I am doing a 1973 myself
and looking back after 18 months I realize I could have saved a lot on parts.
Also, when I needed something in a hurry, then AutoAtlanta has really
been great for me, and their catalogue is like a reference manual, you can
learn a lot just from reading it.

Good luck, post lots of pictures, ask before doing anything and it will save your
wallet and your sanity.

My motto is "Everything I needed to know, I learned from 914 World."

Before:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Last week:

Click to view attachment

Have fun with it...

John
Gint
Hiya Mary. See what I mean about this site being the place to go for help with your project? thumb3d.gif
Mike
rick 918-S
Sorry about your brother... sad.gif

welcome.png

I would suggest you have kansas914 - Mike Moorman- or some other local 914 nut come over and do an inventory of what you have.

Then as you dig into this project you will have someone with first hand knowledge of your inventory and your needs.

It would be really cool to see the car finished befor the next WCR.

Here's a link. If your interested, others have used our gatherings as a goal to finish their projects. It's very inspiring. assimilate.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97885

Dr Evil
welcome.png

Mary, I am sorry for you loss, but inspired by your task. If anyone can donate a core transmission, or if you have one to send I will do a free rebuild on it smile.gif

Also, once you figure out what engine you want, engine parts you have, and FI set up that you will use I would be glad to build you an engine for the price of parts. I bet the members here have spare new parts that they can donate as well biggrin.gif

Ya wandered into the right place thumb3d.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 09:30 AM) *

welcome.png

Mary, I am sorry for you loss, but inspired by your task. If anyone can donate a core transmission, or if you have one to send I will do a free rebuild on it smile.gif

Also, once you figure out what engine you want, engine parts you have, and FI set up that you will use I would be glad to build you an engine for the price of parts. I bet the members here have spare new parts that they can donate as well biggrin.gif

Ya wandered into the right place thumb3d.gif

These are the kinds of things that happen here. Mike, you are the man!
Mary Shortridge
I am amazed, and overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. I can't say thank you enough.
The car is a really bright spot right now in my family's life....when we really needed a bright spot.
Just for now, I'll post a photo of my brother in Buttercup, when he bought in in 1991. Parked next to him is my daughter, who was 3 at the time. Lee had found the plastic car in the trash, and fixed it all up for her. Crafted a panel, and steering wheel out of wood. New battery and wiring, and Uncle Lee was a real hero! Now Liz is getting lessons on driving a stick, so she can drive Buttercup when the car is done!
I'll post some progress photos soon. The UPS driver will be my hero when those big boxes of sheet metal show!
Thanks....
~Mary
BTW---I do have the original engine. Just trying to find someone to overhaul it, if possible, or buy a "new" one. The car has been parked since '93, and outside much of that time... sad.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Aug 4 2009, 04:23 AM) *

I am amazed, and overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. I can't say thank you enough.
The car is a really bright spot right now in my family's life....when we really needed a bright spot.
Just for now, I'll post a photo of my brother in Buttercup, when he bought in in 1991. Parked next to him is my daughter, who was 3 at the time. Lee had found the plastic car in the trash, and fixed it all up for her. Crafted a panel, and steering wheel out of wood. New battery and wiring, and Uncle Lee was a real hero! Now Liz is getting lessons on driving a stick, so she can drive Buttercup when the car is done!
I'll post some progress photos soon. The UPS driver will be my hero when those big boxes of sheet metal show!
Thanks....
~Mary
BTW---I do have the original engine. Just trying to find someone to overhaul it, if possible, or buy a "new" one. The car has been parked since '93, and outside much of that time... sad.gif

Hi Mary,

Many of us will watch your progress with interest. You have a touching story. There are some true 914 enthusists here that like to see these cars saved. We all know the cost of fixing your brothers car will out weigh it's market value in short order. If we can help off set the cost a little let us know. Many members here have parts sitting waiting to be put back in use.

A couple questions:

You state you have the engine: can you take a picture of it for us so we can see how complete it is?

Does it have it's original Fuel Injection or has it been converted to carbs?

Look for the block number located on the crank case near the oil filler. This should tell us what type of engine you have.

You say your getting sheet metal. I assume your body shop placed an order. One caution, If they ordered directly from Restoration Design the order may take awhile. The make the panels and the business is always backed up. I have never ordered from them but others here have. It sounds like you eventually get your parts but they are slower to send them than others.

I think you will find the journey rewarding. There are many 914 events across the country. Many owners attend without bringing their cars. You will find here, it's about the cars, but it's also about the people.
Mary Shortridge
I am heading out of town this morning, but will take a better photo of the engine and look for the data later this week. The engine is fuel injected, and I plan to keep that.
Thanks for all your helpful advice!!!!
~Mary
zymurgist
Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. sad.gif

As far as restoration goes, I've met a lot of good folks here who have been willing to help with any 914 related issue. I think you'll probably have a similar experience.
Mary Shortridge
Great news! I got a fellow 60 miles from me to overhaul the engine. He loves these cars; he owned a 1974 new, and has two parts cars he plans to make into one. He has good references from Ghia owners, so I feel blessed. Plus he is close enough I'll get to "watch" the transformation.
I have been on vacation and am anxious to see the last of the new metal welded on, and all the surface rust was to be removed. Plans are for some yellow paint soon!
I'll attach more "rust" photos of the engine.
My heat exchange is a rusty mess: the engine guy has one stainless steel heat exchanger that he will give me. I'll have to buy the other. He hasn't told me if it is left or right yet... anyone know where I can buy just one side?
Also, I am very frustrated with upholstery kits for seats I am finding. I am going to check on a local upholsterer... Any advice is appreciated! (I really don't want to go with the original vinyl on the seats....I'd like leather, with a fabric insert)
tat2dphreak
on the seats, you can talk to 914 appearance and performance. James is the man, and might have just what you are looking for. I know he's been known to do custom stuff in the past, too.
rick 918-S
Hi Mary, Check the classifieds here for the heat exchanger. Or someone will have one and post soon. Be sure to find out which side you need and post it. Did you ever do a search for Tartan/Plaid? These were offered in the later year 914's.

Here's a couple quick links with info.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...19&hl=plaid

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...24&hl=plaid
Sleepin
I have a set of 1.7 stainless steel heat exchangers set aside for you, don't worry about those.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 25 2009, 10:01 AM) *

I have a set of 1.7 stainless steel heat exchangers set aside for you, don't worry about those.

WOW! That is a HUGE gesture! pray.gif

I will add you to the parts list.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 25 2009, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 25 2009, 10:01 AM) *

WOW! That is a HUGE gesture! pray.gif

I will add you to the parts list.

beerchug.gif

mad props on that...

be sure and post a list of what she needs. I have a few parts, and would be willing to let any of them go for this project. just let us know.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 25 2009, 10:54 AM) *

beerchug.gif

mad props on that...

be sure and post a list of what she needs. I have a few parts, and would be willing to let any of them go for this project. just let us know.

My plan is to create a website so it is easy to see what parts are needed and what parts have been promised.

A&P Girl, her Dad and I are meeting there Saturday to get a list together. I should have the webpage up by Monday - 08/31/09.

Again - 914World rocks!
Mary Shortridge
I just don't know what to say............... This is unreal.
I hope I get to meet all of you to say thank you in person for your kindness.
"The Soul Would Have No Rainbow if the Eyes Had No Tears..."
Thank you for this rainbow....
~Mary
RJMII
I have a set of front rotors for 73-76 cars that I'd give up for this project for the cost of shipping. They had very few miles on them when I pulled them for to go SC front suspension.
A&PGirl
Some teaser pictures. I'm working on the lists and video now.

Click to view attachment
Guy in Green shirt (My Dad), Guy in Black shirt (Dan)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

jcambo7
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Sep 1 2009, 12:08 PM) *

Wow. You have done a lot since I last saw your car. Did you guys finish the garage for your 914's?
mojorisen914
Somehow I'm just now reading this thread.

Mary,
So sorry for your loss. I'm in Shawnee, KS so if there is anything I could do; don't hesistate to let me know. Has Mike got the parts list together? Someone shoot me a list and I'll look thru the garage to see if I have something from the list.

Sleepin
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Sep 10 2009, 11:00 AM) *

Somehow I'm just now reading this thread.

Mary,
So sorry for your loss. I'm in Shawnee, KS so if there is anything I could do; don't hesistate to let me know. Has Mike got the parts list together? Someone shoot me a list and I'll look thru the garage to see if I have something from the list.

Look at Mike's signature for a link to the part's page. biggrin.gif
JazonJJordan
Mary- I would like to help too.

Could you list who has said they would cover what part? Here are a few major area's...perhaps we can size up what is covered and what needs to be addressed?

A logbook of change:

-The panels-
Front hood:
Roof panel:
Engine grill:
Left door:
Right door:
Rear hood:
(including seals-handles-latch- all attached parts..)

-Glass panels-
Windshield:
Left 1/4 window:
Left door glass:
Right 1/4 window:
Right door glass:
Rear glass panel:
(including attached hardware)

-Body work-
fenders:
Front:
Rear:
Front trunk:
Rear trunk:
floor boards:
firewall:
L long:
R long:
Engine bay:

-Electrical-
Wiring harness:
frontlights/signal:
rear lights/signal:
engine signals
Dash electricals:

(standby..adding a few more soon..)

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 31 2009, 05:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 31 2009, 05:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Mary Shortridge
Bless Mike Moorman, he has a website dedicated to Buttercup.
http://www.prosalesreps.com/buttercup.htm
He has a list of stuff he and the Sweets determined Buttercup needed, when they visited Garden City a few weeks ago.
I am learning a lot about these cars, and am really enjoying the project. I laugh at myself, though, when I haven't a CLUE as to what some of this stuff is!
I can't wait to take her to a 914World event, and get to meet some of these great people in person.
Thanks so VERY much for your interest in helping me and my family.
~Mary
racerbvd
Mary, sorry to hear about your brother.
Wish I was closed enough to help..
Mary Shortridge
I appreciate everyone's support on 914World. Buttercup has been a real blessing to our family, as we consider what a kick Lee would be getting out of us fixing her up. I can't wait to drive her! (My daughter has to learn to drive a stick before she gets to take Buttercup for a spin!)
Rudy and Dan are ready to paint. First they will be putting enamel on the wheel wells, trunks, door jams, interior, etc. The exterior will be clear coat, so I don't spend all my time waxing her!
I'll attach a photo of Dan and Rudy. They have been great to work with; I am very blessed to find someone right here in Garden City that will let me stop by anytime, and pepper them with questions! Every once in awhile I hope to be "hands on" with the project. Thanks to EVERYONE for your support!
~Mary & family
Mary Shortridge
I'll try again with the photo.....
RockinOldSchool
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Aug 24 2009, 12:59 PM) *

Great news! I got a fellow 60 miles from me to overhaul the engine. He loves these cars; he owned a 1974 new, and has two parts cars he plans to make into one. He has good references from Ghia owners, so I feel blessed. Plus he is close enough I'll get to "watch" the transformation.

Very wise choice. Way back when, GEX carried a good name. Unfortunately their business model has gone the way of most with profits outweighing the importance of reliability and customer satisfaction.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother and really wish I was close enough to help.
Good luck on your restoration. If in the future I find myself in a position to be of assistance, I will be in touch.

To all of you that have offered their assistance or parts, you make me proud to be a part of this family. smile.gif
EdwardBlume
icon_bump.gif Just in case anyone is wondering how it all began... (see page 1) smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 22 2010, 11:29 PM) *

icon_bump.gif Just in case anyone is wondering how it all began... (see page 1) smilie_pokal.gif

The cars are cool but as we say around here. It's really about the people. Thanks for allowing us to help Mary. The journey is just begining. We are all better for it.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 22 2010, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 22 2010, 11:29 PM) *

The cars are cool but as we say around here. It's really about the people. Thanks for allowing us to help Mary. The journey is just begining. We are all better for it.

agree.gif
tat2dphreak

agree.gif
I can't remember the last time I had that much fun in February smile.gif
hot_shoe914
icon_bump.gif for a new member.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.