Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do I Get Door / Trunk Keys?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
When I bought my car last week, all I was given was one key and all it fits is the ignition (black Porsche key). I was pretty sure the ignition key should also fit the other locks but it doesn't. Maybe the ignition was replaced? Anyway, what should I do to get door and trunk keys? Can a locksmith make them? Do I need Porsche blanks? Can a Porsche dealer get me keys? Help !
Ken
Joe Bob
You need the rekey the locks to match the ignition.

Do a search using "markb" as the lead....he does them, has a primer on it.....
kenshapiro2002
And how do I accomplish that?
Ken

QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 31 2009, 07:41 PM) *

You need the rekey the locks to match the ignition.

Derek Seymour

E-mail or call Call Mark at GPR he probably has a set ready and waiting to ship.

http://www.gprparts.com/shop/contact_us.php
kenshapiro2002
Guess I'm dense on this one. What would he have a set of...blank keys I'm assuming? How do I get them matched to my locks?

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Jul 31 2009, 07:50 PM) *

E-mail or call Call Mark at GPR he probably has a set ready and waiting to ship.

beech4rd
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 31 2009, 07:59 PM) *

Guess I'm dense on this one. What would he have a set of...blank keys I'm assuming? How do I get them matched to my locks?

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Jul 31 2009, 07:50 PM) *

You aren't dense. It's much easier to match a lock to a key than to make keys to fit a lock. In other words, a competent locksmith, with access to the parts that make up the tumblers in Porsche locks, can take your locks and make adjustments to them so that your ignition key will operate all the other locks. You will have to remove the cylinders or the handles from the car and send/take them to such a locksmith. Hence the suggestion that you get in touch with Mark at GPR
markb
There's a link in my signature to my write-up on re-keying your locks. If you have questions, feel free to PM or email me, or call me at GPR during working hours.
type47
I thought there were 2 key blanks; a red blank for the ignition and a black one for the door, glove box and front and rear trunk locks; at least that's what I have. Maybe you only need the red key copied from your black key. There is a guy who copies keys that always attends the Hershey swap meet. If I recall, $12 for a repro blank.
kenshapiro2002
Mine is the black key with only one slot, and yet it only works the ignition.

QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 31 2009, 11:05 PM) *

I thought there were 2 key blanks; a red blank for the ignition and a black one for the door, glove box and front and rear trunk locks; at least that's what I have. Maybe you only need the red key copied from your black key. There is a guy who copies keys that always attends the Hershey swap meet. If I recall, $12 for a repro blank.

jaxdream
Obviously a PO changed the ignition lock cylinder with a key that is cut different from the rest of your locks. The red key mentioned is called a valet key , which is only intended to operate the ignition and doors- not the trunks and glove box. If you have a good key and it unlocks and operates the ignition switch , you could remove the other locks, doors, glove box , front and rear trunks , send them to or take to , a locksmith or repair shop that has the pins,tumblers, sliders,waffers so they can repin the locks to the known good key , that's one way of getting all the locks to use one key . Possibly the other locks all use a key that has been lost and the po changed the ignition to drive the car - can't sell if you can't start the car . All locks are supposed to use the same key - the black headed key , the red is a valet key. It's no rocket science to get this done , just find someone capable of repinning the other locks with the correct type pins / waffers. Good luck...

Jaxdream
CliffBraun
Not to be the antagonist, but if you just want stuff to work you can do what I did with my trunk lock cylinder and pull pins from it until the key you have works.
The downside is that (almost) anyone with a 914 can open your car,the upside is no cost at all.
markb
Or he can go back to post 7 & follow my suggestions. Or he can send them to me for rekeying.
dw914er
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 1 2009, 12:21 AM) *

Or he can go back to post 7 & follow my suggestions. Or he can send them to me for rekeying.

agree.gif

Mark will be able to help you out

and for my car, the 2 black keys opens everything, and ignition
kenshapiro2002
Lucky SOB ! hissyfit.gif

[/quote]
Rick L
[quote name='kenshapiro2002' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:20 AM' post='1197961']
Lucky SOB ! hissyfit.gif

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey Ken,

The black key is supposed to be the "master", the red is designed to be the valet.

Mark is your best bet to rekey your tumblers for your doors, trunk and box. Trying to rekey them yourselves, if you're not used to futzin with locks will make you look like a monkey on a football sheeplove.gif

I can send you a couple blanks, no charge. PM me with your address.

Rick
kenshapiro2002
Thanks,
Ken

[quote name='Rick L' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:13 AM' post='1197976']
[quote name='kenshapiro2002' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:20 AM' post='1197961']
Lucky SOB ! hissyfit.gif

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey Ken,

The black key is supposed to be the "master", the red is designed to be the valet.

Mark is your best bet to rekey your tumblers for your doors, trunk and box. Trying to rekey them yourselves, if you're not used to futzin with locks will make you look like a monkey on a football sheeplove.gif

I can send you a couple blanks, no charge. PM me with your address.

Rick
[/quote]
ClayPerrine
I took every lock out of my car and took them to the local locksmith shop. He was able to re-key them in about 48 hours, and they all work off the red key. I did this so we could easily identify which key fits which 914, Betty's is the black key, and mine is the red key.

Then I had them cut new Porsche blanks with the correct pattern for the locks. And I had them cut a one sided blank for the car. It won't ever wear because it can't be used in the car, but it can be used to make new keys.

I also had them make a new key from the lock on Betty's 914. She had the original key, but it was so worn that it wouldn't work sometimes. Did the same thing with the single sided key, and the Porsche blanks on hers too.

I am sure Mark can help you get the locks re-keyed. And as posted, the red key should be a valet key and only work the door locks and ignition.

orange914
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 31 2009, 08:05 PM) *

I thought there were 2 key blanks; a red blank for the ignition and a black one for the door, glove box and front and rear trunk locks; at least that's what I have.

i just had a new "black' door lock keyed using the black ignition key (turned out good... whew). the locksmith mentioned something about making the red key. unfortunately this is second hand info. because my wife took it in. it did make me wonder what all is needed to cut the red valet key. can it be pulled somehow from the black key, or do you need the trunk or an example?

mike
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 1 2009, 02:27 PM) *

I had them cut a one sided blank for the car. It won't ever wear because it can't be used in the car, but it can be used to make new keys.

Excellent idea!
kenshapiro2002
Turns out my key did work the lock. It was just so freakin' full of dried out grease it wouldn't turn. I followed your instructions for rekeying all the way up to changing the tumblers (didn't need to). I did deviate it "over" cleaning, as I;m very anal withthis kinda stuff. I removed all the blanks and springs, soaked everything in solvent and reassembled. Like you said, the plastic collar was deteriorated, so I reassembled without it, and used lots of lube. It works like new.

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 1 2009, 03:21 AM) *

ghuff
Get some blanks, you will find when you go anywhere to get a copy made they will be like we do not have them.

I have yet to try this older established locksmith place in my town, they supposedly have an inventory of old key blanks and other bits.
kenshapiro2002
Actually, when I thought I needed other keys, a PO I contacted sent me three keys that all work everything (now that I solved the door lock thing).

QUOTE(ghuff @ Oct 5 2009, 02:03 PM) *

Get some blanks, you will find when you go anywhere to get a copy made they will be like we do not have them.

I have yet to try this older established locksmith place in my town, they supposedly have an inventory of old key blanks and other bits.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.