Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 2.7L question.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I got the final leak down numbers on the 2.7 I have had my eyes on:

1 = 6%
2 = 6%
3 = 7%
4 = 5%
5 =12%
6 = 6%

The shop says the car has a failing CDI unit, and that had lead to some carbon buildup causing the higher reading on #3 and 5. He thought with a new ignition and some miles, that the two lower readings may actually improve.

The motor is complete from CIS to flywheel (no exhaust), has less than 70k on a rebuild, case was timecerted (sp?). The car went into the shop only for a new clutch. While in process, the owner found a good deal on a 3.2 and decided to do a swap. He wants 2500 for it. I figured I would offer him 2k.

Would love some opinions from the -6 folks!
Thanks!!
ahdoman
That seems to be a little on the steep side price wise. Unless it's a 7R case. What year is it? Since it's been timecerted I would assume it may have also been rebuilt. Any details on the rebuild? The later engines had the thermal reactors on them and so they ran really hot. Thus one of the reasons for the timcerts. I bought my 2.7 for $800 although it had been sitting. The CDI unit alone will run you about $200 (rebuilt with exchange from MikeZ). I agree with the carbon buildup. My engine had almost a 40% loss on one cylinder. After knocking the carbon off it came up to about 8%. Try offering closer to $1500, wait a day or two and see if he doesn't call you back.
J P Stein
The price is too stout. Maybe 1500 if you can see/hear it run. Otherwise it's a core motor.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jul 31 2009, 06:36 PM) *

That seems to be a little on the steep side price wise. Unless it's a 7R case. What year is it? Since it's been timecerted I would assume it may have also been rebuilt. Any details on the rebuild? The later engines had the thermal reactors on them and so they ran really hot. Thus one of the reasons for the timcerts. I bought my 2.7 for $800 although it had been sitting. The CDI unit alone will run you about $200 (rebuilt with exchange from MikeZ). I agree with the carbon buildup. My engine had almost a 40% loss on one cylinder. After knocking the carbon off it came up to about 8%. Try offering closer to $1500, wait a day or two and see if he doesn't call you back.

All the late 2.4s and ALL the 2.7s were built on a 7R case ......................

The Cap'n
carr914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 1 2009, 02:52 PM) *

The price is too stout. Maybe 1500 if you can see/hear it run. Otherwise it's a core motor.

agree.gif , 70,000 mile unproven motor with weird leak-down #s is a core. Give him a Grand

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.