Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Gaskets...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sleepin
Like the title says, is there a trick to getting the copper exhaust ring gaskets off of the head. I did a search but found nothing.

I know I could re-use them, but my heads are off and I have four new gaskets...I might as well.

I was hoping that they would pop right out, but after prying on them a little bit, they are seeming very stubborn bastards..... mad.gif blink.gif
Mark Henry
I have an old screwdriver that I heated up and put a big flat hook on the end. The copper ring is slightly larger than the port, as you slide up it you can feel the part line then pull down.

Be careful not to go crazy prying on it, I've see peeps damage the sealing surface that way.
Sleepin
Thanks Mark! I will give that a try!
zx-niner
I made a tool from an oil seal puller bought at my FLAPS.

Click to view attachment

The puller had two hooks and I ground the larger off, trying to make an eccentric curve. It worked so well I wish I had more exhaust gaskets to remove after I was done.
Rand
Hook tools are readily available at HF or any place that sells a good variety of tools. I like using one with a sharp point so it's easy to get under the edge. Then just pull hard. This way there's no prying against the head, just pulling on the copper gasket.

Glad you aren't reusing them BTW. That's not a good idea.

IPB Image

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93958
ConeDodger
I use a dental scaling tool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.