Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid closure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
On my '70/4, I've never had engine lid closure problems, but all of a sudden.....

I can't open the rear deck. So I go in thru the trunk and "trip" the latch with a screwdriver. I then apply just the tiniest dab of white grease on the bent tab on the lid, open and close, open and close, open and close, open and close, and everything seems to be functioning properly again.

When I next drive the car, I go about 1/4 mile and "thwump", the engine lid pops open. Get out, shut lid, drive a bit further and "thwump", #*!&% open again.

OK, wipe off all grease (not much though), shut lid, drive a very short distance and once again..."thwump".

Long story short, after many, many adjustments with a 13mm at the bent tab on the engine lid, still "no joy" mad.gif The engine lid still pops open after just a short distance. What's confused me is that previously there was never a problem. I've checked the hood latchs, top and bottom, to make sure nothing has gotten loose and everything is tight and appears aligned properly.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and guidance in an effort to solve this problem.

Paul
McMark
Are you adjusting the bent tab forward/backward? Or up/down? Or both?
computers4kids
Paul,
the latch bolt (13mm) wears and begins to no longer to catch properly. If you can not get enough adjustment by sliding the latch bolt you have a couple of choilces. 1. replace latch bolt or weld a bit more metal on the end and grind it to extend the bolt a bit. 2) put a washer or two under the latch mechanism itself
yeahmag
This also happens when the engine mounts are broken and the engine whacks the lid...
dflesburg
hard to see little cracks on the 90degree mounts can cause this too.

They may need to be welded up.

We are in Centerville and would be happy to look at it for you.
tod914
Make a slight adjustment on the engine lid cover itself to compensate for the latch? Shouldn't take much if it's catching now.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Problem solved..............

biggrin.gif

After adjusting the hood lock bottom and making certain that the engine lid tab was exactly perpendicular to the latch, the engine lid appears to be secure after a lengthy (and enjoyable) road test.

Thanks to all for the response, suggestions and support. thumb3d.gif

Is this a great Forum, or what!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.