Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: solving the fire extinguisher mounting problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
The photos below will show the little bit of hardware that I used, and the final placement of the Halon fire extinguisher in my 914.

The key part(s) in the "installation" of the f/e are (2) magnets. They were sourced from the automobile dealership that I once worked for. The magnets were formerly attached to the top and bottom of a (dealer) license plate and used for quick attachment to, usually, the rear trunk lid for demo rides or for other short, use of a temporary license plate.

By taking two of these magnets and bolting them back-to-back, leaving the magnet sides exposed, the one side holds the f/e bracket (which will come with most f/e that you purchase) and the other magnetic side "attaches" itself to the transverse structural rib that is covered in vinyl and runs just in front of the seat.

The f/e rests on the floor mat but is located and held in place by the magnets. Under enthusiastic cornering and braking, there has been no displacement or movement whatsoever. However, common sense would dictate that this mount would not pass scrutiny at an A/X or track/D.E. event.

Besides keeping the f/e in place, this solution allows for its quick removal for car shows, cleaning, and emergency use, AND there were no holes to drill or metal to weld.

championgt1
Nice install. Now where to get the magnets like that? idea.gif
Tom_T
Does it restrict forward adjustment of the seat?
URY914
Won't it come loose and hit you in the head when you get hit in the door by that women talking on her cell phone?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 1 2009, 09:35 PM) *

Nice install. Now where to get the magnets like that? idea.gif

Jack,
I'd go to a new or used car dealer that would know you, or that you would have rapport with. These magnets are sourced through dealer-supply vendors who typically sell license plate frames, car cleaning chemicals, shop rags, and other car dealer miscellania that the dealer uses.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 2 2009, 10:02 AM) *

Does it restrict forward adjustment of the seat?

Tom,
Since my '70 has a fixed passenger seat, the adjustment factor would not be an issue. I would think that on a 914 with a moveable passenger seat, that if the co-driver wanted to move the seat forward, you could just take up the f/e and relocate it behind the seat on a metal surface.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 2 2009, 10:30 AM) *

Won't it come loose and hit you in the head when you get hit in the door by that women talking on her cell phone?

If I were to be hit broadside in the 914, just a few micro-seconds after the initial impact, followed immediately by said f/e hitting me in the head, I would think that there would be a bit more automotive hardware in my lap to concern me, assuming that I was still conscience after the f/e hit me. laugh.gif

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 2 2009, 10:30 AM) *

Paul, I would have thought that your primary concern would have been the weight that those magnets added to the 914. Fear not, that added mass is both down low and near the center of the car as to not adversely affect the weight distribution.

Paul
Pat Garvey
bootyshake.gif

Drill?

I think not! Rather it burned to the ground than put a non-factory hole in the car.
Pat
lol-2.gif
URY914
OK, so you not hit by a women on a cellphone but you hit a pothole just hard enough to make it come loose from the magnets.

Sorry, but I wouldn't do it.
smg914
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 2 2009, 06:54 PM) *

Yeah, but that's gotta a be your JPS Lotus Steve! ...show us where you put it on the cherry Sahara 73-2L! biggrin.gif

Why hasn't anyone tried attaching an FE up under the dash to the metal sub-bulkhead?

...and Paul's magnet trick might work there too, so Pat doesn't have to blow the cobwebs off his once used drill! lol-2.gif

I used to just use the "hooks-side" only of the velcro strips which came with the FE & Bracket, & velcro'd it to the driver's side of the rear trunk floor carpeting nap (no need for the "loops-side" of the velcro with the carpet) - no holes either!

...you gotta get back there to use the FE in the hell hole anyway! biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 2 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Yeah, but that's gotta a be your JPS Lotus Steve! ...show us where you put it on the cherry Sahara 73-2L! biggrin.gif

Why hasn't anyone tried attaching an FE up under the dash to the metal sub-bulkhead?

...and Paul's magnet trick might work there too, so Pat doesn't have to blow the cobwebs off his once used drill! lol-2.gif

I used to just use the "hooks-side" only of the velcro strips which came with the FE & Bracket, & velcro'd it to the driver's side of the rear trunk floor carpeting nap (no need for the "loops-side" of the velcro with the carpet) - no holes either!

...you gotta get back there to use the FE in the hell hole anyway! biggrin.gif

Hey, hey,hey! I just used my drill last week, to install a mothball holder in my trashcan so the bears will go away - works.

And...I have feelings ya know.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 2 2009, 07:58 PM) *

Hey, hey,hey! I just used my drill last week, to install a mothball holder in my trashcan so the bears will go away - works.

Pat

So - did you put Mothballs into the holder in the cans - or go full 9 yards & get the Bear Balls!? lol-2.gif av-943.gif
rjames
OK, so you not hit by a women on a cellphone but you hit a pothole just hard enough to make it come loose from the magnets.

Sorry, but I wouldn't do it.

agree.gif

The last thing you want is the FE flying around the cabin if your car suffers some kind of impact.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 2 2009, 09:13 PM) *

Pat

So - did you put Mothballs into the holder in the cans - or go full 9 yards & get the Bear Balls!? lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Actually, I'm using moth crystals, a pseudonym for math balls, sprinkled on the bottom of the can (one of those 96 gallon jobs).

I'm normally a jester about such things, but not when tey're in my front yard. Taking the trash out on a dark street can be "unbearable" - hopefully!

You know someone who sells bear balls?

10 years ago, there were no bears in my area, only deer. Now, there are only bears & no dear. I think Al Gore's behind it!

Sorry for the unintentional hijack. Jack halted - now!
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 3 2009, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 2 2009, 09:13 PM) *

Pat

Actually, I'm using moth crystals, a pseudonym for math balls, sprinkled on the bottom of the can (one of those 96 gallon jobs).

I'm normally a jester about such things, but not when tey're in my front yard. Taking the trash out on a dark street can be "unbearable" - hopefully!

You know someone who sells bear balls?

10 years ago, there were no bears in my area, only deer. Now, there are only bears & no dear. I think Al Gore's behind it!

Sorry for the unintentional hijack. Jack halted - now!
Pat

Pat, I think they sell that bear stuff at the local outdoors & hunting shops! biggrin.gif

You must be well outside of Philly to get that wildlife! Deer & Bears! When we lived outside of Pgh in the 1950s-early 60's we only got deer, pheasants, etc.

Here in CA we're getting the coyotes, bears & cougars coming down from the wildlands areas due to the dry conditions & resultant lack of food! ....they look at our neighborhoods' pets as snack food!

Just don't mess with them if you see one & back away slowly - call animal control or sheriff & then keep your distance.

Banging on pots/pans & making noise is what the USFS Rangers recommend when they come into campgrounds, & should work there! ...unless the PA bears have gone deaf or are bold!

While we need them all & they're nice to see around, when the carnivourous types get to comfortable around hmans, then they need to be moved.
smg914
This may be cheating but here is where I store the 1.4 lb. Halotron FE's in the 914's.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.