Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back in the Sunlight after 21 years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
New to this site, First Post....

I parked this car in 1988 and just never seemed to have the time or energy to deal with it.
A 930 and a couple of 911's came and went but the 914 just sat and waited. Finally last month, I started downsizing and unloaded a few toys and decided that I had better get to this, as neither of us is getting any younger. I started stripping parts off and checking it out.. Yesterday, it saw the light of day again.. Pushed onto a trailer..

It was delivered to the Body Shop and I'm going there this morning to see what the Plan is.

I'm hoping to bring the car back to the level of a nice driver.... Guess we will see.

Worst part, I have nobody but myself to blame for the condition the car is in.

So, it begins.. Click to view attachment
smontanaro
welcome.png

Is that a 6 or a 4 with a 5-lug conversion? What year? Is the VIN in the database (I'm guessing no)?
gandalf_025
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Aug 3 2009, 07:05 AM) *

welcome.png

Is that a 6 or a 4 with a 5-lug conversion? What year? Is the VIN in the database (I'm guessing no)?

It is a 70/6 I did put the VIN in the database.. it is #619. bought it 4/73 from Park Porsche in Lawrence Mass.
ellisor3
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 3 2009, 07:10 AM) *

welcome.png

It is a 70/6 I did put the VIN in the database.. it is #619. bought it 4/73 from Park Porsche in Lawrence Mass.

welcome.png The body looks great, certainly have seen much worse. Being a 6 should provide extra incentive. Keep us posted. Hats off for keeping it alive. smilie_pokal.gif
MDG
Nice! I think I can speak for all and say we'd love to see more pics. Good luck with the project. I know once you get it going you'll fall in love with it all over again.

welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png aktion035.gif driving.gif assimilate.gif
jonferns
More pics, please!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 3 2009, 03:10 AM) *

welcome.png

Holy Shit! So you are like the second owner? Was it kept pretty original? Please Mr. Wizard, start a thread on your restification! We want to follow this closely!
ChicagoPete
Lovely car.

What body shop is it going to in Newbury???

Let me know if it is going to Precision?

Peter
gandalf_025
Car is pretty much original.. I pulled the engine in the late 70's and stored it away. Found a 65, Aluminum case 911 engine for 500.00 and put it in.. That is the engine I just took out of the car. Both engines still turn over with a wrench on the crank pulley. Debating which to put back in ??
Car has 52,200 miles.. Like I mentioned, I have nobody but myself to blame for letting it sit so long.
At least I never drove it in the winter.. I pretty much parked it in the early 80's
The shop I took it to is in Southern N.H. I looked more locally, but this guy is semi retired and works on 1 car at a time. He actually asked How Involved I wanted to be in the Project.. That by itself made the choice easy. Not sure how much he advertises that point... I spent This morning scraping the sound deadening tar off the inside floor. How many shops would allow that ?? Pulled the Oil Tank today also. Floor looks quite good too. Far better than I expected.
I expect both jack posts need replacing and I bought a new battery tray and engine shelf figuring those would be junk . As I get to, know the Shop Owner, I'll see about more pictures

Found some paperwork.. I'll attach an invoice.. Check out the price.. I should have bought a few more.. Invoice is in my dads name. I was 18 at the time and put the car in his name for the Insurance break..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
Kinda like your own barn find!

welcome.png
nsr-jamie
Wow!
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

pics, we need more pics hissyfit.gif

beerchug.gif Gustl
McMark
According to one inflation calculator:
What cost $5984.22 in 1973 would cost $28,690.84 in 2008.

Yipes! yikes.gif
william harris
Damn, I am only a few miles away in Hamilton. Welcome. Did the same thing (restoration wise) a few years ago. Drop a line and I will introduce you to the MA 914 guys.
r_towle
Welcome back. If you need any parts, let me know...I have a barn full, and I know where there are a few sixes if you needs somethings special.

I am also in MA.
rich
9146FAN

Good luck with your project and of course, great color!
gandalf_025
Thanks for the Welcome.. Seems like I found the right place when I tripped over this site..

Some progress with the car. As far as RUST.. The rockers seem OK at this point. Jack Posts are going to be replaced and the Passengers side engine tray will have to go. Going to pull the battery tray and see what lurks there....
Floors aren't bad, some surface rust . Trunks seem OK . Going to go digging around in both trunks to look for trouble.. I'll take more pictures in a few days.. For now, I'll post these.
And Yes, I'm sure I'm going to need all sorts of parts.. and you have to love a subtle color like Tangerine...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
r_towle
looks like a decent project, not alot of major issues.

Let me know if you need something.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.