Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 scripts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikester
Today at pomona I found a 914 emblem for my tail panel that I've been looking for. It's the gold color but it is a very light color gold (not quite silver but not vividly gold).

I really wanted to find a silver one to match the lettering on my grill well. In my reading today I read that the tail panel emblems were gold metal until 73 when they changed to plastic and in 76 they changed to the vinyl stickers. Indirectly that means that there ARE NO silver metal 914 emblems.

Would that be correct?

Anyone?

Thanks,

The Mikester
Aaron Cox
wierd. i have a silver one blink.gif
mikester
Is it metal or plastic?
Dave_Darling
1973s had silver-colored badging on the rear. I don't know if they were metal or plastic. The 74s went to black-colored badging; then in 76 they went to the sticker.

Hmm, Johnson says that 73 had black metal badges, while in 74 they went to black plastic. But I would swear that I've seen silver-colored 1.7 and 2.0 badges on some 73s. Perhaps the black finish had worn off on those??

--DD
until it blew off somewhere on Summit Point Raceway, i had a Silver "2.0" badge with a black "914" emblem. I recently saw the 2.0 badge in silver on ebay, buit dont think i remember seeing the "914" in silver at anytime...
Eric_Shea
This probably doesn't help "at all" but my 911 badges would fade and fade quickly. The gold ones would look silver in a couple of years. I've seen some that hold their luster so it may be a vendor issue.
davep
As I recall, up to 73 models were gold. from 73 they were black. Yes the black would fade quickly. The early badges were pot metal, then went to injection molded plastic before becoming decals in 1976. It was the Porsche script on the engine lid that was silver (or gold up to end of 72).
maf914
What were the engine grill letters made of? Same as the tail panel? My 76 grill letters are white plastic with chrome plating. The plating is flaking off, which results in a really classy look. Bean conters! headbang.gif

Add the vinyl sticker rear panel letters and you've saved a total of, what, $10 factory cost. Let me at em... ar15.gif

Mike

BTW, several years ago I bought a set of silver metal grill letters from Tweeks during one of their sales. I guess its about time to use them.
URY914
My late '73 had/has the silver ones. "914" and the "1.7"

I swear!!

Paul
Joe Bob
BTW....I have the side scripts available...both negative and postives... wink.gif
tod914
A 73 1.7 parts car I had, had a metal emblems on it in silver. Think I still have them someplace. Weren't in great shape from what I recall.
mikester
I'm picking nits here and I appreciate all the responses but I need specifics on these multiple sightings of "silver" tail panel scripts off of the '73s. Are they METAL or PLASTIC? My '74 had plastic on it, I''ve found like I said a gold pot metal 914 script that is very faded (to almost a very nice silver but it has a tinge of yellow in it). Which leads me to the question, are you guys sure they just weren't faded?

boldblue.gif

I sure like the look of the metal ones...
davep
Okay nitpicker, I'd go out on a limb and say the "silver" emblems are metal on which the color has faded. The plastic ones would not bleach out in the same way. The plastic ones were molded in black only AFAIK.
mikester
Davep, That is what I was thinking as well. I'm not TRYING to be a pain - I'm just trying to figure out where my expectations should be for finding a script that matches my grill lettering or is what I have more or less what I get. Which I am fine with...I don't want real silver tail panel scripts to be my white whale.

www. blink.gif .com
lagunero
my 73 1.7 has silver metal badges. The car ID has it manufactured 11/72.

My emblems are in poor shape and I'm looking to replace them with black plastic or not.
914zim
Sorry to jump in with no real help here, but I recently bought a gold "914" script and now I'm looking for a gold "2.0" script.
Anyone know where I could find a used one in good shape?
Thanks for letting me use your thread!
Andy...
Dave_Darling
Make one. The factory didn't--by the time the 2.0 came around, they weren't using gold lettering any more.

--DD
davep
agree.gif

You can have black or faded black ( sort of pewter ) in several shades.
Gold, you had better start with a good metal part and have it plated.

Mikester, no problem. I can be a nitpicker also, so I'm glad to have company.
DD is correct, we are all getting grumpy. Stircrazy is more like it. Gotta get a fix for this 914 addiction. beer.gif
914zim
well that might explain why I can't find one anywhere!!
I guess I'll have to get any 2.0 emblem and paint or plate it gold.
Thanks guys!
Andy...
davep
Now you are not "totally clueless" anymore. Geez, the way you have to get educated.

Yeah, us poor SOB's with black bodied cars and black emblems that are so hard to see.
I was thinking of doing mine is "sun yellow" to match the trim.

Get a metal one. Plastic is too hard to paint or plate.
TheCabinetmaker
73's had silver pot metal. 914,1.7, and 2.0. I have three in the shop right now. 74's were black metal. 75 had black plastic, and 76 was a decal. I thought gold was reserved for the 6's
mikester
I guess the best idea is to get a black pot metal emblem and have it plated eh?
maf914
Tweeks catalog has the emblems in black: 914 - $25 and 1.8 and 2.0 - $20. No 1.7 shown. Catalog doesn't indicate if metal or plastic.

They have the PORSCHE letters in silver chrome steel for $80 and gold, $75 (material not indicated).

Mike
URY914
My '73 silver was potmetal.
914zim
Yup, will do...
Thanks!
(still somewhat clueless...)
dakotaewing
How bout these....
Found the picture off the web from a swap meet...
I think the guys sells them on the ebay.. but not cheap....

Thom
FlatSix
They have the PORSCHE letters in silver chrome steel for $80 and gold, $75 (material not indicated).

WOW! I have a NOS set in black somewhere in the garage. I had no idea they were worth so much. clap56.gif

Don't tell me, the black ones are worthless! wink.gif

Andy
Jacco
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 8 2004, 01:24 PM)

My pot of gold laugh.gif
steel 914 emblem pinned to my wall.
actually made a good deal on it then, cost me 20 euros.

I also thought I have read somewhere only gold and black lettering was available, but this one looks like silver, although it does have a little bit of a goldish sheen over it.

greets
Jacco
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.