Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does the color of the car add to its value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crxnug
does the color of the car add to its value, im asking as i just noticed the Metallic colors were optional at extra cost, would a silver Metallic or one of the other metallics be worth more or more desirable then say one of the standard colors.
rick 918-S
IMHO: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one really groove on any of the pastels in any of the years.
zymurgist
My guess would be that it would add value if it was the original color on a CW car.

Otherwise, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. Babydoll is Light Ivory now, but I checked her trim tag and she's really supposed to be Silver. Someone along the line decided that they liked white better for their 914 and she's been that way ever since.
tat2dphreak
I think the original color in good shape, even if it's a very well done re-paint is worth more, generally... that's about as much "value-add" a color can have imho
zymurgist
My guess would be that it would add value if it was the original color on a CW car.

Otherwise, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. Babydoll is Light Ivory now, but I checked her trim tag and she's really supposed to be Silver. Someone along the line decided that they liked white better for their 914 and she's been that way ever since.
Ferg
I think it depends on the make/model. If we were talking C2 stingray corvette's then yes, color matters and add's value.

But for our little cars, it's not as important, and like Rick says, eye of beholder. 914's were known for some funky colors, Ravenna Green, Delphi, Gold, Signal Orange, ect.

Majority will always like the poplular colors, Red, Black, Blue, Yellow, but the small Minority will REALLY like the oddball one's. (Myself Included) I personally would put more value a rare, odd color car more than a red or yellow one in identical shape.

Ferg
tat2dphreak
14's were known for some funky colors, Ravenna Green, Delphi, Gold, Signal Orange, ect.

you forgot purp, err... Aubergine one of my personal favs!
Krieger
Maybe. Some colors can really detract though barf.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 3 2009, 09:56 PM) *

Majority will always like the poplular colors, Red, Black, Blue, Yellow, but the small Minority will REALLY like the oddball one's. (Myself Included) I personally would put more value a rare, odd color car more than a red or yellow one in identical shape.

agree.gif

I've seen so many cool Corvettes repainted in red, I swore I would never own a red one. So far, so good.
jmill
I always liked Zambezi. When one showed up for sale I jumped on it. I do have to say, the original Signal Orange cars seem to have a following.
zymurgist
I used to see a Zambezi parked on the street all the time a few miles from me. Never met the owner, though.

I think orange is a great color for 914's, too.
tat2dphreak
I think orange is a great color for 914's, too.

agree.gif my personal favorite, actually

my car was originally signal orange, and when I get it painted it will go back to orange.
PanelBilly
Gulf Blue cars are worth more
MDG
I agree with the eye of the beholder thoughts. I also think that for the true 914 enthusiast who is looking to buy, it's probably not as important. Sure everyone will have a fav colour but year/engine/options seem more important to those buying something to drive.

On the other hand, as these cars become more popular as a 'collectible' I would think that colour plays a more important role. The bright crayola colours certainly evoke an early '70s vibe. Collectors, as opposed to enthusiasts, are more about buying into the era.

I'll say this, every single time people go into my garage and see the Light Ivory and Phoenix Red cars side by side, and even though the '73 Phoenix Red is currently disassembled, hands down it's the one people like best.
goose2
primer gray over iron oxide is not a good color
ericread
Color is extremely important to the value of the car. If your car has no color whatsoever, it is basically invisible, making the value very difficult to assess...

But you probably knew that already.....

Um..... never mind

Eric
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 3 2009, 10:09 PM) *

Gulf Blue cars are worth more

screwy.gif Only if painted twice, or was that thrice poke.gif
MDG
QUOTE(ericread @ Aug 4 2009, 05:05 PM) *

If your car has no color whatsoever, it is basically invisible, making the value very difficult to assess...

Eric

plus, think of the damage when Jane and the twins are in the mini-van scouring the mall lot for parking.

"Ooh, there's a spot mommy!!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.