Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turn signal relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener

I noticed the other night my turn signal relay just started clicking when I was out driving around. My turn signals still work but the relay continues to click. I tried another relay I have and it does the same thing. Of course it's possible they are both bad but I was wondering what you guys think before I go buy another relay. I got under the dash and the ground is tight and all the fuses look good. Do I just need to turn the radio up to make it go away! aktion035.gif

thanks

Scott
ghuff
I have a relay clicking with my low fuel red light that blinks on/off and my fuel gauge does not work.

My turn signals work but do not make any relay click.

My car is weird, I think someone was fucked up when they wired it or put it back together
76-914
QUOTE(ghuff @ Aug 3 2009, 08:03 PM) *

I have a relay clicking with my low fuel red light that blinks on/off and my fuel gauge does not work.

My car is weird, I think someone was fucked up when they wired it or put it back together

Mine had been to the gas statiom mechanic once to often in the wiring dept. I just pulled all extraneous wires out, and put all wires back to their original locations. Then the diagnostics weren't that difficult and everything was restored to original working condition. These are just some of the wires I removed from under the dash.I never had to add any wires! Just had to correct what I had.Click to view attachment
orange914
interesting thing that some may not be unaware of:
heavy duty replacement flashers will operate with a bulb burnt out where o.e. will not. h/d flasher will stay at a constant cycle speed (flashes per minute) no matter of the load/resistance where an o.e. flasher changes cycling speed depending on load/resistance. ford even has different color o.e. flashers with different values, depending on number of lights in the systems. you can test which one you have in use by noting if the outer turn signal lights go on immediately, it's a h/d unit. if it takes a second it's an o.e. or non h/d.

it doesn't sound like your relay has anything to do with this info., but?... what relay are you using?

it seems lately on this forum every electrical malfuntion effects the dash gauges somehow. i just had the tach & fuel gauge die everytime it was put in reverse or brake applied. all it was was a knocked out fuse. wacko.gif sounds crazy but double check if all fuses are in...good contact and not blown

mike
ghuff
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 3 2009, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Aug 3 2009, 08:03 PM) *

Mine had been to the gas statiom mechanic once to often in the wiring dept. I just pulled all extraneous wires out, and put all wires back to their original locations. Then the diagnostics weren't that difficult and everything was restored to original working condition. These are just some of the wires I removed from under the dash.I never had to add any wires! Just had to correct what I had.Click to view attachment

I did that with the engman fuse panel swap on my car.

I pulled out the following:

1 starter push button switch
1 hot feed to a non existent radio which was dangling there and bouncing around against various metal bits
1 ground feed.
2 broken spade connectors on factory wiring that are just broken.

In reality the spades are so oxidized they could use a soak in something acidic or replacement.

OP what relay of yours is clicking?
904svo
Does your Brake light work when you put on the EM brake? The flasher is
hook up to the flasher on some models.
markb
I've had the same problem on my Red car for 10 years. Cap'n Krusty & I have traced the wiring multiple times, replaced everything that could be replaced (fuses, relays, bulbs, etc) & it's still there. At one point it slowed way down after I put the Camp914 Euro front turnsignal kit on, but after reassembly after new paint, it was back again. I just put a Momo wheel on, and turn up the stereo. dry.gif
I'd be VERY interested to hear what you find out.
ghuff
I am going to steal the wifes camera tonight in an attempt to get this relay and clicking on video/film.

Maybe we can solve these issues.

Ancient car wiring and many years worth of band aid fixes can be interesting.
silverteener

I did notice last night after I posted that the side marker lights also blink when the turn signal is on but they are very dim. Then last night when I hit the left turn signal the turn signal indicator for the left would flash a couple times then they both started flashing like the hazards are one. Same when I use the right turn signal. I had put another relay in so maybe it's causing it. It's not OE. I also have a problem with either my ignition or the starter. Last night I went to pull it into the garage and it wouldn't even turn over. I've replaced the ignition tumbler before so maybe something is wrong with the starter. I have an extra one I need to put on and try.!
markb
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 4 2009, 11:56 AM) *

I did notice last night after I posted that the side marker lights also blink when the turn signal is on but they are very dim. Then last night when I hit the left turn signal the turn signal indicator for the left would flash a couple times then they both started flashing like the hazards are one. Same when I use the right turn signal. I had put another relay in so maybe it's causing it. It's not OE.

Yup, that would be a relay problem. You might also check your side marker light wiring if they are blinking.
orange914
silverteener or markb, is it possible you have the wires plugged into the turn signal side marker(s), or buckets incorectly? it could be like putting a 1156 bulb in a 1157 socket. i did that and it caused all sorts of dash chaos
markb
On mine, we had the thing stripped for painting, and when it went back together, we were sure to plug things in properly (I've shaved off the sidemarkers, & taped the wires, so no chance of wrong wiring).
morgan_harwell
>I noticed the other night my turn signal relay just started clicking when I was out driving around. My turn signals still work but the relay continues to click.

Do any brake master cylinder work on the car lately?
Is your brake fluid level getting low?
The relay circuit includes the brake warning system.

Two weeks ago I replaced the master cylinder in my 914. First time I fired it up with the new MC, the turn signal relay started clicking none stop[the relay drives every light that flashes] . The brake warning light would flash occasionally, but the relay kept clicking constantly.

Drove me crazy for two weeks. Bled the brakes a few times, but that did not satisfy the brake warning system. The brakes felt & performed fine.

Problem solved:
The new master cylinder came with a single wire sensor, the old MC had a 2-wire sensor(Gnd & signal). So I installed the old sensor on the new MC when I first installed it. It turns out the new sensor's plunger length is shorter than the old sensor's, by about 1/8". So I shortened the old sensor's plunger to match the length of the new sensor's, and now no more flashing brake warning light, and no more signal relay clicking.

Moral of this tale?
Since you probably don't have a mis-matched master cylinder to brake warning sensor,
your brake fluid warning system may be about to trigger.
paroxysm
I just got my signals working yesterday and have the same problem with the clicking, and the red warning brake light flashing, but I did note that one of my rear marker lights is staying on. I also have put in a new master and will investigate the mc plunger length.
silverteener
Well today I got a new relay and put it in and got nothing. I did notice I blew the fuse for the hazard switch( I think). I replaced it and still have no signals now. I had ordered a new turn signal switch a while ago so I put that in and still don't have turn signals. I then pulled on the hazard switch and they wouldn't work. I'm thinking I need a new hazard switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.