Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late metal bumpers and valances
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
I pulled the late metal bumpers with boobies from my 74 zambeziteen last weekend and noticed the fronts have an additional bracket behind the tits on the backside of the bumpers. They are sandwhiched in between the back of the bumper and the dogbone bracket. It's hard even for me to believe, but I've never seen these before. All of the late metal bumpers I have bought and are laying around here don't have them, including the set of chromies I'm putting back on the car. Were these on all the late metal boobie bumpers? Sorry, no pics because it was late when I finished yesterday.

I want to do a quick cheap reapaint of the front, rear and side valances on my car also while the bumpers are off. I've seen some things lately about different paint, undercoat, spray can bedliner solutions etc... but haven't searched yet. What can I use for a quickie spray bomb job? I just want to spruce up until I can regroup and send them all off to a real painter.

Edit: Nevermind on the valances. Found a great recent thread <- Click Here
Gint
BTW Eric, this front bumper took a shot in the right breast. I didn't think it was real bad until I pulled the bumper. Couldn't hardly tell looking at it on the car. I'll get pics later.
Sleepin
aktion035.gif Looks like I will be up there on the 22-23rd.
Gint
Don't be much later than that. Off to Germany that Thursday.

bumpity-bump icon_bump.gif

Boobie brackets - anybody?
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Gint @ Aug 4 2009, 03:18 PM) *

Don't be much later than that. Off to Germany that Thursday.

bumpity-bump icon_bump.gif

Boobie brackets - anybody?

Hey Gint, is this what you're looking for.... link

BTW, all of the '74s I've worked on had these brackets for the nips...

-- Rob
Gint
That's it! Thanks Rob. I've removed only early metal bumpers, never a late front. All of the late fronts that I have around here were purchased from others and none of them have those brackets.

Click to view attachment

Your pics will have to wait Eric. Got too late and I was starving and needed a shower. By then it was too dark.
Gint
Aha! That's it... it just hit me! Bear with me... BTW, these bumpers bend like pop cans. Ask me how I know. rolleyes.gif

It's more work than you might think fitting your original set of bumper tops onto a different set of bumpers and then mounting them on your 914. It's not difficult work, but it's actually quite fiddly...

I got the rear aligned up finally so it looks decent. But on the front I ended up with my really nice original bumper top too low on the right side, too high in the middle (sticks up over the trunk lid a little), and just right on the left side. I've tried over and over again to adjust both the bumper top and the bumper mounting to the car. I've removed the bumper, re-adjusted and then re-tightened the bumper top to the bumper and then reattach the bumper to the car several times to no avail. There just really isn't that much adjustment built in to the bumper top bolt holes or the bumper to body mounting holes. I left it as is last night and figured I'd come back to it in the morning.

Sittin here watching car shows on the tube and catching up on email and 914world junk and it hits me. I just figured it out. monkeydance.gif I had adjusted the top of the rear bumper (as well as a few other little dents) a little bit because it was bent. I need to bend to top of the front bumper also to get the bumper top height adjusted and aligned to the front of the car. I'll get some pics later to show you guys what I mean.
Sleepin
It is amazing at how much trouble the simple stuff can be sometimes.... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.