Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Finding aluminum nails
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
Residing my house and taking off the old aluminum siding. What tricks can I use to find the aluminum nails that "miss" the tarp. Will a metal detector work?
Bruce Hinds
Bare feet always work for me. lol-2.gif
blitZ
Lawnmower with a bagger?

I got nothin...
smontanaro
You could always circle the house a few times with your teener...

S
silverteener
they make a magnet with wheels on it. looks kinda like a broom. don't know how much they cost though.
736conver
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 4 2009, 12:09 PM) *

they make a magnet with wheels on it. looks kinda like a broom. don't know how much they cost though.

Keyword is aluminum. Unless you have an aluminum magnet. dry.gif

The bare foot joke was the same one I used on my wife.
zymurgist
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Aug 4 2009, 01:09 PM) *

You could always circle the house a few times with your teener...

laugh.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(736conver @ Aug 4 2009, 12:13 PM) *
The bare foot joke was the same one I used on my wife.

Before or after she stepped on the nail?

I think we need a doghouse icon...

S
rick 918-S
This could get funny.
1) Fill a pool and invite all the neighborhood kids over for a swim.
2) have a family reunion, line everyone up for a gunny sack race around the house.

lol-2.gif unsure.gif
SLITS
Spray it with pool acid .... it'll all dissolve and you won't have to worry about the siding or nails.
Cap'n Krusty
Put a set of REAL expensive tires on your car, and circle the building a few times, if you make it that far. The Cap'n
ericread
To properly attract aluminum, you need to fabricate a magnet made entirely of wood. Instead of using an electrical current to excite the magnet, you must use very thin bamboo reeds filled with Amazon Hybiscus sap.

errr, speaking of saps...

BTW: Filling the bamboo with the Hybiscus sap causes the reeds to react in a very rigid manner during the very early morning hours - hence the term "morning wood".

beer.gif
turboturtle
I have some of that Hybiscus sap! I sprinkle it on my morning weedeez!

What we did upon replacing roofing shingles was to hire the kids to pick up the nails as piecework. They cleaned up! More ways than I dare care to share! Lol

Child labor laws do not conflict with this option.
Phoenix-MN
use a rare earth magnet

unobtanium

blink.gif
rick 918-S
Get some grass and weed killer and douse your entire lawn. When the whole mess turns brown and dies you will have no problem seeing the nails.

Oh! That morning wood reference reminded me of the broken chop stick story! lol-2.gif
736conver
I sent my wife down with a list to Home Depot. Told her to ask the guy for a magnet for aluminum nails. I cant wait to hear the response she gets. I betcha he says they are out of stock.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(736conver @ Aug 4 2009, 03:14 PM) *

I sent my wife down with a list to Home Depot. Told her to ask the guy for a magnet for aluminum nails. I cant wait to hear the response she gets. I betcha he says they are out of stock.

OMG! You are a dead man! happy11.gif happy11.gif lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
It'll be even worse if she buys one ...................

The Cap'n
neil30076
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 4 2009, 04:38 PM) *

It'll be even worse if she buys one ...................

The Cap'n

lol-2.gif
Maybe if they spell it correctly the stores search engine will find it !-
( need a smily here for tongue in cheek!)

Aluminium is the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust.
smontanaro
I'm telling you guys... Keep sending your wives on wild goose chases and you will *really* need a doghouse icon!!!
jimtab
Aluminum magnets are on the shelf right next to the brass magnets...geez what a bunch of yardbirds...... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.