Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quad Gauge problems.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
Fitted marks quad gauge today, when turning ignition on the temp gauge goes straight to max, checked the sender wire and that's ok. What do I check next?
tracks914
Start wiith the wire on the back of the guage. See if it is grounded from there. (probably is) Find a ground somewhere between guage and sending unit.
jt914-6
agree.gif
Sounds like the wire from the sender to gauge is grounded somewhere.
tat2dphreak
agree.gif

or one of the (+) wires is touching the gauge at the sender feed
Rod
Check the sender wire for grounding. Check

check the wiring at the gauge. Check

no probs there, what next? smile.gif
tat2dphreak
go back and do it again, you missed something smile.gif
jt914-6
Did you check the sender wire all the way from the sender to gauge???
Maybe something inside the sender is shorted???
Rod
Do the gauges not fail? It's 100% a wiring problem then?
jt914-6
If the gauge combo you got was new, then I'd not think the guage is faulty. I still think there is some wiring problem.....
SLITS
Check the resistance of the sender .... If it is 0, the guage will peg. The guage reads resistance ... the sender is variable resistance according to temperature.

That said, if it pegs on the turn of the key, generally, as others have said, the wire from the sender is fully grounded somewhere.

And make sure you have the wires connected correctly ... "G" is guage, not ground.
Rod
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 4 2009, 08:23 PM) *

And make sure you have the wires connected correctly ... "G" is guage, not ground.

On Marks fully wired gauges? Does anyone have a link to his wiring diagrams/labelling to be sure they haven't wired it in the wrong way...
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 4 2009, 11:23 AM) *

And make sure you have the wires connected correctly ... "G" is not ground.

agree.gif

"G" stands for the German word "Geber", which translates into Sending Unit ...
shades.gif Andy
Spoke
If you disconnect the wire from the sending unit, the gauge should read cold. this will give you some indication if your gauge is working.

Also, if you have a potentiometer laying around, connect this between the gauge and ground and twist the pot. At some point, the gauge will go from cold to hot if it's working correctly.
Rod
UPDATE -

On the back of the gauge there are two wires + and S.

Am I right in thinking that + is +12 and S is sender??

If so....... as soon as I connect the +12v to + the gauge goes straight to MAX. Even if the sender wire is disconnected.
jt914-6
what about ground? Is there a connection for that anywhere that you see?
Rod
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:26 PM) *

what about ground? Is there a connection for that anywhere that you see?

I got marks Pre-wired gauge and the fuel and volt gauge work perfectly, so surely it's grounded on the pre wired loom along with the other gauges..

Seems weird that as soon as it's given +12 it goes straight to max idea.gif
jt914-6
I'm having the same type problem with my fuel gauge. As soon as the key is turned on it goes straight to full. It's with my Fuel Safe fuel cell sender and gauge. I haven't had time to dive into it yet.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Rod @ Aug 5 2009, 04:55 AM) *

UPDATE -

On the back of the gauge there are two wires + and S.

Am I right in thinking that + is +12 and S is sender??

If so....... as soon as I connect the +12v to + the gauge goes straight to MAX. Even if the sender wire is disconnected.

you mean it WAS the wire? shocking tongue.gif

poke.gif

I did the same thing to my CHT, it went straight to max with the engine not even running... swapped the wires, and back to normal. hence my comment above.
SGB
On my single center console temp guage, I had failed to ground it properly and the result was to peg the gauge at hot after about a minute of running, I guess oil temp was just beginning to actuate the sender and as soon as it connected at all (the sender is a variable ground), the needle pegged.

I think it has to be the grounding...
Rod
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 5 2009, 03:20 PM) *

you mean it WAS the wire? shocking tongue.gif

poke.gif

Oi Cheeky! Nope still not fixed yet. Been chatting to Mark via email and he thinks the gauge may be too tight in the housing, so we are backing it off to see if it's grounding internally..
Rod
Well I'm getting the car back from the mechanic tomorrow and he hasn't managed to sort it sad.gif

The amazing thing is that it's one of Marks brand new quad gauges and the oil pressure doesn't work either?

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement!
904svo
Make sure the gauge case is grounded, The gauges are mounted in a rubber
ring and they must be mounted, a quick test is turn on the background lights
they should work if the cases are grounded.
Rod
Ok picked the car up and after two minutes I got them both to work... smile.gif

So not having had oil pressure or temperature gauges before to frighted myself, what pressure should a 1.7l engine push out and what is the ideal running temp?

So glad it all works now, thankyou all for your help so far smile.gif
tat2dphreak
what was the problem?

I still can't get my CHT right
Rod
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Aug 22 2009, 03:27 PM) *

what was the problem?

I still can't get my CHT right

Honestly I don't know - I removed the gauge, checked all the connections and put it back to go and investigate the fittings in the engine bay, started the engine first to see what happens voltage wise and they pop into life!

It's sitting top centre oil temperature and pressure is 40 at tickover, dropping a bit to around 25 whlst on the move..
tat2dphreak
It's sitting top centre oil temperature and pressure is 40 at tickover, dropping a bit to around 25 whlst on the move..

that sounds "ok" but not great. I know mine is about 55 when cold(almost too much) and drops to about 40 warmed up I'll let an oil pressure guru speak up and tell me how wrong I am tho.
Rod
More Problems...

No wonder my mechanic couldn't work it out!

The gauges are in the wrong positions on the dial....

I thought I was getting some weird readings yesterday, so had a fiddle again this morning.. the voltage and fuel gauges work perfectly so I had a quick thought.. What if it had been put together wrong? So I plugged the pressure sender into the temp gauge and the temp sender into the pressure gauge.....

The gauges are now giving readings I would expect to see. The pressure is about 30 psi on idle, rising to 50-55 psi at 3000 rpm, and the temperature rises gradually (I haven't taken it for a spin yet, but will later....)

SO the gauges have been improperly labelled up.. or the gauge mechanisms put in the wrong 1/4 of Marks gauge..

Mark??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.