Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nice porsche dude?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
I shoot this Porsche on my way to work, on the east 210 fwy around Covina, does any one know the car.Click to view attachment
MDG
550A 1500RS Coupe.

I'd be stunned if someone was driving a real one on that highway huh.gif

pretty cool even if it's a repro
Click to view attachment

MDG
That picture I posted is a different body type; if you have the 'Rennwagen from Zuffenhausen" poster, the sister car to the one in your photo is in the top right corner #24

take more pics - just don't crash into it in case someone near you actually has one of the couple left and is crazy enough to drive it on the highway
SirAndy
QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 4 2009, 01:34 PM) *

550A 1500RS Coupe.

Not even close ...

The one in the freeway picture was in one of the back issues of Panorama this year or last year. I have to dig it up when i get home ...
idea.gif Andy
smg914
Definitely a 550A 1500 RS
It would be hard to believe that it's an original one driving on the street.
MDG
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2009, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 4 2009, 01:34 PM) *

550A 1500RS Coupe.

Not even close ...

The one in the freeway picture was in one of the back issues of Panorama this year or last year. I have to dig it up when i get home ...
idea.gif Andy

Okay, my first photo was the 550 coupe which I believe ran in the Pan Americana.

how about this Le Mans 550A coupe. Closer?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

smg914
I have a feeling that this car is a replica of the #24 car that ran in the 1956 24 Hours of Le Mans.
MDG
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 4 2009, 07:00 PM) *

I have a feeling that this car is a replica of the #24 car that ran in the 1956 24 Hours of Le Mans.

I think so too; those pics I pulled off the web may be the same car in Oldschool's original post.
MDG
the #25 car driven by Wolfgang von Trips finished 5th at the '56 Le Mans; the #24 car driven by Hans Herrmann DNF'd

I found a link to what may be this replica; says it didn't sell at $37,800 - don't know if this link will work

http://motorcities.com/photo/viewer/07DMF164021779C
SirAndy
QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 4 2009, 02:57 PM) *

Closer?

Yes ... biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
carr914
But the upper door jams are different

T.C.
MDG
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2009, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 4 2009, 02:57 PM) *

Closer?

Yes ... biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

driving.gif

between the two I prefer the Panamericana body; still that replica is pretty flippin' cool.

or maybe someone does own the real thing and is crazy enough to dodge SUVs with it . . .
lotus_65
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 4 2009, 07:17 PM) *

But the upper door jams are different

T.C.

only the drivers side, probably to accommodate the pilots.

the passenger side looks true to the car in question.
Click to view attachment
thefleur
MDG
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Aug 4 2009, 08:24 PM) *

only the drivers side, probably to accommodate the pilots.
the passenger side looks true to the car in question.

thefleur

You're probably right; I remember reading about these Le Mans coupes and they were not designed for the drivers comfort. Anyone suffering from claustrophobia need not apply

here's the passenger side from that link to the old auction I posted
Click to view attachment
Michael N
From GAF 2006 and last pic has 914 content.

Fibersteel

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MDG
Cool! Amazing how low the 550 is compared to a 914 - even with a roof.

Man, James Dean didn't stand a chance
jimtab
It is a kit and a "friend of a friend of mine" had one built with Audi A4 power and it is scary fast and handles like a slot car. He sold a near new CR corvette to finance the build....it's real purdy......
MDG
QUOTE(jimtab @ Aug 4 2009, 11:38 PM) *

It is a kit and a "friend of a friend of mine" had one built with Audi A4 power and it is scary fast and handles like a slot car. He sold a near new CR corvette to finance the build....it's real purdy......

I'd guess all the bodywork is FG; the car probably weighs around 1400lbs.

it'd be fast with the Briggs & Stratton off my lawn mower
oldschool
QUOTE(MDG @ Aug 4 2009, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ Aug 4 2009, 11:38 PM) *

I'd guess all the bodywork is FG; the car probably weighs around 1400lbs.

it'd be fast with the Briggs & Stratton off my lawn mower

real or not man that thing was fast and the sound was very cool....as you can tell I almost missed it,
oldschool
QUOTE(Michael N @ Aug 4 2009, 08:25 PM) *

yep It was right around the area were fibersteel is.
SGB
The windshield seems to be the only component that doesn't pretty accurately reproduce the original. It is clearly more upright, and doesn't wrap into the A-pillar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.