Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT--Audi 5000CS Starter--Help Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
Hi all,

Tonight I picked up a Bosch re-built starter for my old Audi and spent the evening in the driveway installing it (and swatting the mosquitoes).

Finally got it put in--when I turn the key I can hear the starter spin, but the engine doesn't turn over. I guess that means the pinion isn't entending/engaging. Could it be a bad solenoid? I thought that the starter shouldn't spin until and unless the solenoid extends the pinion.

I've been through my Bentley manual, but it doesn't address this problem.

Need to get this thing fixed as it's my DD . . . .

Thanks in advance!
r_towle
did you hold it up side by side with the old starter?
Could be the wrong unit.

Not all would be lost...you could swap the nose if you have to...

Take a close look..

Rich
anderssj
Rich,

Thanks for the quick reply . . .

Yep, I looked at them--they looked the same, but I didn't compare them closely side-by-side on the bench . . . I figure I can do that when I take it back out headbang.gif

I should have been more careful, as the FLAP's first attempt was the wrong starter in the right box (noticed that the bolt pattern was off when I checked it at the store).

Oh well, it wasn't a complete waste of time--the learning curve should be a little shorter next time.

Thanks again,

Steve A-
r_towle
One of the problems I found with ordering Audi parts....they are typically the wrong part the first time.

Contact the Cap'n here....ask him for the exact part number...
Then make sure that number is on the next one.

Rich
anderssj
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 4 2009, 11:31 PM) *

One of the problems I found with ordering Audi parts....they are typically the wrong part the first time.

Contact the Cap'n here....ask him for the exact part number...
Then make sure that number is on the next one.

Rich

Rich,

Thanks, I'll try the Cap'n. FWIW, there's only one PN for the type 44 cars (5000, 100, 200 up through 1991 or so). This one has the right number on the box and the starter . . . .

Thanks again,

Steve A-
r_towle
Given that its an audi...I cant believe there is just one single option, even within the same series of cars....not something I have ever seen....but like I said....and an expert.

Rich
anderssj
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 4 2009, 11:59 PM) *

Given that its an audi...I cant believe there is just one single option, even within the same series of cars....not something I have ever seen....but like I said....and an expert.

Rich

Yeah, it surprised me too . . . .

I sent a PM to the good Cap'n--looking forward to hear from him.

Thanks!

Steve A-

r_towle
my guess is the motor is same motor, 8 different noses...so it may appear to have the right number...but.....its an audi.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.