Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: common oil leak areas on impeller side of 1.7L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
So i finally got my engine out and took off the impeller, the impeller casing, and the oil cooler.. I'm doing all this to fix a a-little-more-than-minor oil leak from around that area.. after inspection it appeared that the pulley sealing ring behind the impeller hub was a little loose and had some really old rtv stuff on it... the oil cooler seals were all dry but i didn't see too many signs of leakage near the area..
here's some pics with the impeller hub and oil cooler off.. the yellow is penetrating oil (the damn hub wouldn't come off without a fight. and i didn't wipe off anything. it is as it was when the engine was in the car.
Click to view attachment
buhs914
impeller area and oil pump Click to view attachment oil cooler area and oil filter Click to view attachment
buhs914
the oil pump

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Common leaks are the seal, the o-ring behind the pulley hub, the oil pump gasket, and, rarely, the oil cooler seals. Occasionally there can be leaks at the oil galley plugs, which would have to be replaced by drilling 'em out, tapping the holes to a pipe thread, and installing plugs. They're usually a MAJOR leak, as they'll be blown clear out. The hub is a wedge fit on the taper, and is supposed to be difficult to remove. Penetrating oil would have NO effect on it. if the hub is loose, the hub and crank are usually junk. The correct technique for removal is to put some hardened steel strips (just thin enough to clear the gap) behind the hub and run some bolts in against them to pop it off. Three old fashioned "church keys" work pretty well.

BTW, it appears that you have a piece of crap Fram oil filter on your engine. Besides that, it's THE WRONG one. Better take care of that while you're in there if you care about your engine.

The Cap'n
Katmanken
Also, check the oil pressure sender on top of the engine. They have been known to leak and are cheap to replace
buhs914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 4 2009, 11:54 PM) *

BTW, it appears that you have a piece of crap Fram oil filter on your engine. Besides that, it's THE WRONG one. Better take care of that while you're in there if you care about your engine.

The Cap'n

haha well alot on this car hasn't been done by me. The previous owner did alot of questionable things and i'm slowly getting them taken care of. My main issue is getting the leak fixed and cleaning the engine. i'll do an oil change and switch out the filter after the engine is back in. and how is the filter the wrong one?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.