Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to restore glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Newly painted car has glass with apparent water spots that seem permanent. There must be a trick........So how can I revitalize glass so it looks as nice as the paint. Thanks,
Terry
Heeltoe914
Great Question ????
popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
I just went through this with a side window I just bought. I tried all the common ones like vinegar CLR, something else I bought at the supermarket. I tried something like turtle wax. Nothing worked. I got a product called AMAZ clean and green water stain remover at Ace Hardware. It is a mild abrasive. It took 4-5 applications and a ton of elbow grease to get them off, but it worked.
turboman808
I bought a glass cleaning system from griots. It does a pretty good job but if it's got serious pitts in it you might not be able to repair it.

I was able to remove etching from dirt and the wipers.
70Sixter
Eastwood has a polishing kit.

http://www.eastwood.com/home
Katmanken
Ya sure those spots are water?

If you splash Ospho deruster or another strong acid on glass, it will etch it.

jimmybryan
Hello Terry,

Fellow noob Jim here. Years ago I sold a product for that, Phantom Chrome and Glass Clnr, I'm no longer afilliated but I did a quick search and found it here, you may find it closer to home if you do a more detailed search .........

http://www.highwayshine.com/dbID/459.html;

It was basically jewler's rouge and alcohol, I can attest to it's ability to polish normal glass surfaces but never tried it on anything that was etched.

I think I'd first try a fresh razor scraper (like your mechanic uses to remove inspection stickers) to decide if it's a surface deposit or etch. If it's on the surface I've also heard of using #0000 steel wool with soapy water. Just don't use scotch brite pads (don't ask me how I know huh.gif ).

sixaddict
Some great help here....Thanks !! Sorry just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.....I will report results.
TOT
sixaddict
Great results !

I took the cheapest route to see if it would work. i.e Trying JimmieB's suggestion for Phantom Chrome and Glass cleaner but had to resort to 0000 steel wool
( which is secondary instruction if cloth doesn't work). Tried on rear window and it did a good job. The glass is sparkling answering my proverbial question....how did he get those windows so clean. Went to highway shine web site ....pretty painless.
Thanks again to all who contributed........Spending so much on this baby I decided to try cheap angle and finally got to one that worked.
TOT
PRS914-6
There is a product called Nothin's Better and at least out west you can find it at auto parts stores and hardware stores. It's inexpensive and works great. It's a powder you use on a damp cloth. I have even used it to clean entire shower doors with my electric buffer. Great product for the money.
Sleepin
I have heard recommendations of using Bartenders Friend. It is similar to AJAX but less abrasive.
underthetire
QUOTE(esses62 @ Aug 25 2009, 08:35 PM) *

Just use oxy clean and a sham wow happy11.gif

Hey, found a use for that Sham-Not-So-Wow ! They soak up spilled coffee under your feet AWESOME. headbang.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Aug 25 2009, 02:46 PM) *

Great results !

I took the cheapest route to see if it would work. i.e Trying JimmieB's suggestion for Phantom Chrome and Glass cleaner but had to resort to 0000 steel wool
( which is secondary instruction if cloth doesn't work). Tried on rear window and it did a good job. The glass is sparkling answering my proverbial question....how did he get those windows so clean. Went to highway shine web site ....pretty painless.
Thanks again to all who contributed........Spending so much on this baby I decided to try cheap angle and finally got to one that worked.
TOT

00 fine steel wool! idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.