Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: im having a mental breakdown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
I have done this what seems to be a thousand times. I am putting my rockers back in and this is the first time that I have done it outside the car. The engine is out and everything looks different from laying on my back doing it. Does the spring ( item 13 in picture) that goes under the rockers actually seat into the push rod tubes? If any one has a picture please post. Damn I feel stupid... And also does any one have a detailed picture of the rockers installed in the head.. Thanks.

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
It only fits in one way. The ends slide into the gabs under the rockers. The prongs go into each pushrod tube to hold it in place.

Zach
JOE M
Here is a pic that I found on the net. It looks like the spring under the exhaust rocker is seated in the push rod tube but the intake appears to be outside of the tube.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
the flat spots on the spring fit into the slots on the bottom of the rocker arm spacers...the things that fit over the rocker arm studs.

The slots must face down on all the spacers.

the pointed end of the spring goes on the left as you look at the head.
Both sides the pointy end goes left.

If its blowing your mind..come over and look.

Rich
JOE M
I sort of get it but when I came across this picture it looked like the bottom part directly under the push rod tube actually goes into the tube on 1 rocker and sort of sits just below the tube on the other. I started to put the rockers back in today and stoped because I was unsure. I`m this close and dont want some stupid thing like this to completely screw me up. By the way Rich, do I need a running 914 to go to Connecticut or can I show up in a Jag? LOL.
r_towle
QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 5 2009, 09:05 PM) *

I sort of get it but when I came across this picture it looked like the bottom part directly under the push rod tube actually goes into the tube on 1 rocker and sort of sits just below the tube on the other. I started to put the rockers back in today and stoped because I was unsure. I`m this close and dont want some stupid thing like this to completely screw me up. By the way Rich, do I need a running 914 to go to Connecticut or can I show up in a Jag? LOL.

914 pussy boy. No Jag...you have plenty of time. Get it together.

Put the rockers on just barely...then slip the spring in.
The spring goes under the pushrods and into the slots on the bottom of the spacers. that is the fun part...
Once you get it in all the slots, AND under all the push rods...slide it home...the part that goes into the tubes will go where it goes...

the purpose...so you get it....it to hold the push rod tubes in place and not let them vibrate into the head and allow you to loose all your oil from the case.
the tubes need to move (expansion and contraction issues) so the spring holds them in place at the head....and the movement is at the case...

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
The spring doesn't go "into" the tube, it rests against the end of the tube, thereby holding the tube in place. BTW, as you begin to tighten the rockers down, BE SURE you get the pushrods seated properly into the cups of the cam followers ("lifters").

The Cap'n
JOE M
WHAT IF i PUT MY 914 LABEL ON MY JAG? For real I think I should have the engine back in the car by Friday. I am going to make a couple calls tomorrow for the windshield. Who did you use when your broke Rich?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2009, 06:10 PM) *

The spring goes under the pushrods and into the slots on the bottom of the spacers. that is the fun part...
Once you get it in all the slots, AND under all the push rods...slide it home...the part that goes into the tubes will go where it goes...

the purpose...so you get it....it to hold the push rod tubes in place and not let them vibrate into the head and allow you to loose all your oil from the case.
the tubes need to move (expansion and contraction issues) so the spring holds them in place at the head....and the movement is at the case...

Rich

r_towle
QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 5 2009, 09:15 PM) *

WHAT IF i PUT MY 914 LABEL ON MY JAG? For real I think I should have the engine back in the car by Friday. I am going to make a couple calls tomorrow for the windshield. Who did you use when your broke Rich?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2009, 06:10 PM) *

Rich

Triumph auto glass.
BUT...you will probably have to order it...so do it tomorrow...they come right to your house.
If they cannot do it fast enough...Call around.
There is a guy in Andover MA that has the windshields...
Search here for Dr Evil and windshield....I put all the contact details for the guy in that thread.

Rich
JOE M
Thanks and hopefully no rain for a couple days....
r_towle
QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 5 2009, 09:22 PM) *

Why are you still typing...go put the rockers in.

rich
neil30076
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 5 2009, 06:15 PM) *

The spring doesn't go "into" the tube, it rests against the end of the tube, thereby holding the tube in place. BTW, as you begin to tighten the rockers down, BE SURE you get the pushrods seated properly into the cups of the cam followers ("lifters").

The Cap'n

agree.gif Listen to the Cap'n - If you put the spring into the tube you will end up with a nice - about 10mm - polished section near the top of the push rod - and eventually - so I heard but probably not proven, it will cause the push rod to fail.
I saw this on my engine when i did a rebuild - the spring is on top of the tubes now.
JOE M
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 5 2009, 06:15 PM) *

The Cap'n

O.K I will do it that way and post a picture tomorrow night.
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2009, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(JOE M @ Aug 5 2009, 09:22 PM) *

Why are you still typing...go put the rockers in.

rich

Rich I gave up for the night and decided to drink a couple beers instead. It was a tough decission but beers won. Tomorrow is another day.
r_towle
I can lend a hand both nights and all saturday if you ask....

Rich
Dave_Darling
The inboard parts of the wire rest on the "shoulders" of the pushrod tubes. They apply pressure pushing the tube in toward the middle of the engine.

I use a small hook to grab the parts of the wire that are sticking down into the tube and pull them back outward, so they can fit into the right place.

--DD
r_towle
Whats happening?

Rich
JOE M
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2009, 04:10 PM) *

Whats happening?

Rich

Sorry Rich my internet was down.
The good news is that I have the engine back in the car along with the axles. Tomorrow I will Get everything hooked up and re-set the valves.I need a cut off wheel so that I can hook up my exhaust. The heat exchangers that I bought (used) had some bolts still attached. I could not get in touch with anyone at all about the windshield so I will try again tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input and everything seems good so far.
r_towle
I have lots of ways to cut things here if you want to bring them by tomorrow...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.