Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing away from Chrome bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
I want to change my chromed bumpers and paint them black. Can I just sand them or scotch bright them, or do I have to remove the chrome chemically?
tat2dphreak
step away from the scotch brite...

if they are in good shape, sell the chrome bumpers, preferably cheap, to me j/k

and buy some painted ones... chrome is generally more desirable so you can even come out ahead on the sell..

just my .02

SLITS
Removal would be best, but it might be fairly easy to find a set of decent black bumpers that could be just painted.

I'll take a look and see what's around my place.
neil30076
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 5 2009, 05:51 PM) *

I want to change my chromed bumpers and paint them black. Can I just sand them or scotch bright them, or do I have to remove the chrome chemically?

My chrome bumpers were pretty bad, I sanded down the bad areas, fine sanded the rest, cleaned them up and sprayed them black- I am pleased with the result -
zymurgist
If the chrome is nice and they don't have bolt holes for the tits, you should be able to get some good coin for them.
carr914
Sell the chromes and buy painted. If you were closer I would do a swap.

T.C.
dw914er
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 5 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Sell the chromes and buy painted.

T.C.

agree.gif
dw914er
wait... you're in San Diego...

talk to mark at GPR, I remember they had some painted bumpers in good shape... probably get some from there..

if your chrome ones are in good shape, i say sell them vs paint them
PanelBilly
Sand the chrome off with 2000 grit. Take your time and do a real good job
Spoke
If the chrome bumpers are in good shape, sell them for $125 (minimum) each, buy some painted bumpers for $25 each, and spend the rest of the money on your hot girlfriend in your build thread.
Rand
Its unanimous. Don't paint chrome bumpers! Unless they were beat to hell and you want to fix them. Sell the chromies. I would buy Getty or some other good fiberglass. But that's because I care more about weight loss than hit protection.
PeeGreen 914
As I see nobody has said this..... Sell the chrome ones and just buy some painted biggrin.gif
KELTY360
Say, does anyone around here want to trade some chrome bumpers for some painted ones? happy11.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 5 2009, 11:29 PM) *

Say, does anyone around here want to trade some chrome bumpers for some painted ones? happy11.gif

I'll look into it. I know the front bumper was already painted, so that out of the question. I think the rear is sellable, and in pretty good shape.

Pics to come later.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 5 2009, 05:51 PM) *

do not ruin chrome bumpers!!!!!!!! sell them and get the cheap black ones. Better yet restore your car to the correct factory was it left the line! Chrome bumpers are "to die for" as most 914 owners would say. I beat up people who abuse nice chrome bumpers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 6 2009, 07:33 AM) *

I beat up people who abuse nice chrome bumpers.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.