Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's up with my car's color code?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jt914-6
I bought a '74 2.0 years ago to do a six conversion. Had been in dry storage for about 10 years. It was in great condition with no rust at all. All there was under the rocker panels was dust/dirt. Didn't like the color and changed it.
The 914 world site's color chart is different than what my ID tag says. The ID paper tag says Saturn Yellow with a paint code of L99A, which is supposed to be Delphi Green Metallic. Do I have a misprinted tag? Also, the medal tag has L99A on it too. The car was Green from the factory as I took it apart down to the wiring harness.....

The orignal paper tag.....

Click to view attachment

The car ready for cage work....(GREEN)

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
OH!!! Here's how it looks now.......time & money & labor down the road......

Click to view attachment
Richard Casto
I have never seen a paper sticker like that. Is that a factory sticker? Makes me wonder if it was added to the car by someone such as a paintshop? Maybe a PO had to have some/all of it repainted at somepoint?

If the Karmann body tag says "L 99 A", then it should be "Delphi Green Metallic". You say it's green and the photos look like what I think Delphi Green Metallic is supposed to look like (I am not very familar with that color). The German name for "L 99 A" is "Saturngelbmetallic" which has "Saturn" in the name. Maybe when whoever created that paper sticker, they had the german name for the paint and tried to find the closest English color (name wise) which is "Saturn Yellow"? Especially as that green is a very Yellowish green. Just a theory anyhow.
jt914-6
Richard, That paper tag was on it when I bought it from the owner. I'm not sure if he was the orignal owner, but no more than the second. He drove it untill he and his wife had a kid. It was put in dry storage for about 10 years when I bought it.
It's a '74, so the Delphi Green fits the year and L99A on the paper and Karmann tag.
I'm not sure what happened to it. I hope I kept it somewhere. The pic is from right after I bought it and before it was painted.
It doesn't look like the Saturn Yellow color patch on the color chart. The car WAS Delphi Green Metallic.....I was wondering if the paper tag was factory or not. As I said, I stripped it down to just the wire harness. The car is/was the color in the pic.
tod914
Mine has a paper tag on it too. Except it's in the driver's door jam, above the hinge. Maybe it's possible it's a factory repaint? Misprint on the tag irregardless. Think there was one other instance of somebody mentioning that a car was repainted by the factory prior to delivery on the board. I seen these tags on 74+ year cars. Not sure if the earlier ones had them.

Click to view attachment

jt914-6
My paper tag was in the same spot as your's. The paper tag on mine was a misprint as far as I can tell. I had a '73 Sunflower Yellow at one time and it's color was closer to Saturn Yellow than the Delphi Green was.....
tod914
I never seen that Saturn yellow on one before. Looks cool. btw great job on your resto.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 5 2009, 10:34 AM) *

Here's a pic of my car's color tag. I see it is called Delphi Green Metallic. As you can see what it is called on my car. BTW, quickly changed the color to Ocean Blue Metallic (3AY).

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;sortby=sCode

L99A Delphi Green Metallic (Saturngelb-Metallic)

From the Page:
The German color names are added in (small print) where available.

Saturn Yellow Metallic is what it's called in German.
shades.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
These paper tags are found on some but not all late 1973-76 cars. Not sure why not all have them, unless owners just removed them...they are only paper. See more of the tags here: http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/PLM.htm

PS I see some are in German text, others are in english text...great...another mystery.

smile.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 6 2009, 02:15 AM) *

The ID paper tag says Saturn Yellow with a paint code of L99A, which is supposed to be Delphi Green Metallic.

that's not correct !!

the paper says two-coat-metallic saturnyellow L99A

saturn yellow = L13M

saturnyellow metallic = L99A = delphi green

as Andy wrote, that's just the german name, literaly translated to english
I'm pretty sure that this paper is from the Karmann Factory and that they translated the german colour name because it was an export car

bye1.gif Gustl
jt914-6
Thanks guys. I came across that pic while going through pics of the conversion and thought that something didn't match on the color chart. I didn't like the color anyway and it didn't matter what color car I bought for the conversion, it was going to get painted inside and out.
914Sixer
The 75-76 cars had the paper paint tags in the dirivers door jam in addition to the Karman metal tag.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 5 2009, 07:35 PM) *

OH!!! Here's how it looks now.......time & money & labor down the road......

Click to view attachment

So.....doesn't really matter anymore, does it?
Pat
jt914-6
914Sixer--My car is a *74*

Pat--Nope, doesn't matter any more, just thought it was strange having one code number and another code's name.......
type2man
I have the same exact sticker on my 74 and it says saturnyellow when my car is indeed delphi green.
beech4rd
I'm almost positive that those stickers were installed at Karmann. I had a 1978 VW Scirocco, built by Karmann and it had a very similar sticker in its trunk. Exactly the same font and style, only the colour name was different.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type2man @ Feb 12 2013, 05:14 PM) *

I have the same exact sticker on my 74 and it says saturnyellow when my car is indeed delphi green.

Read Gustl's post above:

Saturnyellow Metallic = L99A = Delphi Green

Saturnyellow Metallic is *not* the same as Saturn Yellow

shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.