Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick? on race regs for windscreens
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Does SCCA, VARA, POC, etc....frown on new 914 racers that have removed the front windshield and went with a Ginther windscreen or equivalent?

I seem to remember that older 914 racers with documented log books were grandfathered but the newly built 914s needed to stay with stock windscreens.....FWIW....I DO have a full SCCA legal windscreen.
machina
depends on the class for SCCA

IT of course would require only original glass screen.

Production allows for cut screen, I think.

GT allow cut screen.

other groups, not sure.

dr
MJHanna
Same with PCA it depends on the Class: GT OK, other class it would be required but could be lexan depending on the class
Dave_Darling
Let me try to drag this all out of my memory...

SCCA requires that the windscreen be transparent. That means the "Ginther-style" windscreens that are opaque are not acceptable to them, you must have the more expensive transparent one. (Yes, I realize that you would have to be a contortionist to try to drive the car while looking through the windscreen. But Da Roolz say it must be so.) Heck, at one point all you could get that was transparent were original Ginther screens, which were way $$$.

About a year ago, either PCA or SCCA stopped accepting new 914s that had been chopped. Unless the car had already been running with the chopped-off windscreen, and had a log book to show that, it would not be accepted.

I don't think they've reversed their decision, but you could check.

--DD
rdracrdave
Your memory is good , BUT The rules have changed . The windscreen can't be any wider , or extend any farther back than the origional windshield , but can be made of any material ,clear or not.
In other words the windscreen can be 4" high , curved to fit the front,(bottom) of the origional , and made of blue plastic . I know this because my SCCA GT2 racer is configured this way and passes tech.
Dave
d914
but the real question here is to go topless or not. Mine still has its top but have been considering going spyder......?????? Benefits...... short comings??
campbellcj
I dunno if you were contemplating running w/ POC, but their rules say that windows must remain present in essentially stock factory locations and sizes in anything but "Z" classes (extremely modified cars). You can substitute Lexan and use simpler winders etc.

I think in general the chopped-roof thing has been frowned upon in recent years and it's mainly the grandfathered cars who're still getting away with it.

Another consideration is the tightening of rollcage rules. You might have to run a full "high" halo even with no windshield to comply with the cage rules. And that would look fugly as well as defeat some of the weight and aero benefits of losing the roof in the first place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.