Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tanks Carpet Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dennis
I'm about to install the fuel tank in my '74 restoration. The tank is supposed to have some carpet pads glued to it for cushioning from the body. Mine fell off upon removal. Can anyone tell me where they are supposed to be placed?
Cano
If I recall correctly, there are two rubber pads that have slits or grooves on one side that the seam of the tank fits into. the pads then rest against the body. If you did not repaint, you should be able to see where the pads originally sat against the body, and reinstall in the same spot.
Dennis
QUOTE(Cano @ Aug 6 2009, 12:42 PM) *

If I recall correctly, there are two rubber pads that have slits or grooves on one side that the seam of the tank fits into. the pads then rest against the body. If you did not repaint, you should be able to see where the pads originally sat against the body, and reinstall in the same spot.

Thanks. I have those rubber pads. But besides those pads, there were two rather mundane carpet squares (actually small ~2" x 5" rectangles). The car has been repainted but the tank hasn't. I'm looking for ghost images on that.
RoadGlue
I really recommend installing a pad that doesn't soak up moisture like a sponge. The tanks I've pulled with rust holes seems to have the holes start from corrosion caused by the carpet padding. I don't know what to recommend, but there must be a rubber alternative.
McMark
agree.gif

They go in the trash. Get some rubber from the plumbing section of a hardware store and use that. No more water problems.
6freak
those carpet pads hold moisture ...not a good thing ... ...I used really heavey duty electrical tape two layers right on the tank ...tape was like 5" wide and very thick ,had to cut it with scissores....JMO good luck
Mike
AvalonFal
Only pic I had showing all 3. I got rid of the carpet and used rubber.

Paul
Click to view attachment
6freak
Nice !! very clean look
detoxcowboy
second the rubber pads, i got 3 small sheets of thick durable Orange Rubber form the hardware store .. perfect.. the old ones will rust your tank.. saw it in my "gargared 12 years car" replaced the tank and threw out the '70's...\

the picture above is correct but the single one closer to the cabin side is to go partially over the curve not just on top of it.. mostly on top 1/3 over the hump/curve .. that was how my factory ones were when I pulled my tank.. you do not want any metal to metal..
Dennis
[quote name='AvalonFal' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:38 PM' post='1200172']
Only pic I had showing all 3. I got rid of the carpet and used rubber.

Paul
Click to view attachment
[/quote

Wow, that does look nice. Can you tell me where you got the rubber and about how thick it is?

I got some great ideas from those who responded, thanks. Definitely NIX the carpeting. Sounds like a few layers of heavy duty duck tape would even work. But I like this solution best.

Thanks.
carr914
Just pulled a Tank, you can see the areas they go.

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here's a fairly decent pic........
AvalonFal
Can you tell me where you got the rubber and about how thick it is?

I got some great ideas from those who responded, thanks. Definitely NIX the carpeting. Sounds like a few layers of heavy duty duck tape would even work. But I like this solution best.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Rubber is about 1/4" thick, but has slight give when compressed. Got it as scrap from my work on a construction site where it was used as a bearing pad for structural steel work.

Paul
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(perrin1097 @ Aug 6 2009, 02:45 PM) *

second the rubber pads, i got 3 small sheets of thick durable Orange Rubber form the hardware store .. perfect.. the old ones will rust your tank.. saw it in my "gargared 12 years car" replaced the tank and threw out the '70's...\

the picture above is correct but the single one closer to the cabin side is to go partially over the curve not just on top of it.. mostly on top 1/3 over the hump/curve .. that was how my factory ones were when I pulled my tank.. you do not want any metal to metal..

I went to Home Depot and two other hardware stores, No one has ever heard of "Orange Rubber". So, instead I purchased a 4 ft long section of rubber base board molding. It's about 0.116" thick (a little more than 1/16" thick).

Can anyone confirm that rubber pads cut to the right dimensions and 0.116" thick will work? I am aware that the carpet pads are thicker. Perhaps rubber cemmenting 2 pads together would be a better match to the thickness of the original pads. BTW, great pictures of where these pads go! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
jaxdream
Rubber mouse pads !!!! Computer mouse that is .

Jack / Jaxdream
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jan 28 2010, 09:39 PM) *

Rubber mouse pads !!!! Computer mouse that is .

Jack / Jaxdream

Are all mouse pads made of rubber? The one I'm looking at right now looks more like a foam/pourous material than rubber; but if it works without soaking up moisture, then I"m in! Otherwise, I found a rubber stamp Co. that will sell me 3 pads for $15.00 (seems a bit steep for rubber).
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Jan 28 2010, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(perrin1097 @ Aug 6 2009, 02:45 PM) *

I went to Home Depot and two other hardware stores, No one has ever heard of "Orange Rubber". So, instead I purchased a 4 ft long section of rubber base board molding. It's about 0.116" thick (a little more than 1/16" thick).

Can anyone confirm that rubber pads cut to the right dimensions and 0.116" thick will work? I am aware that the carpet pads are thicker. Perhaps rubber cemmenting 2 pads together would be a better match to the thickness of the original pads. BTW, great pictures of where these pads go! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

hieght of the pad should not matter unitl it is so thick your gas tank sits so high your trunk won't close.. blink.gif , proctection and vibration other than metal to metal. Oh by the way I apologize for "orange rubber" it is "orange" color and "ruber" material, actaully is a thick gasket material by the roll or by the sheet.. but what you have is fine, that is just what i found..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.